• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Common Projects SS 08 (Hat0rs Unwelcome)

polishmike

Reaction score
I ordered the black laceless dress shoes. I'll probably wear them only when going out and the soles might last a little longer than a season if i don't decide to walk through the holland tunnel drunk.

They are not cheap and not that durable but *******, I like them.

curiouscharles

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Englandmj7
The low price point?

Charles, there's no need to try and educate me here. I can guarantee you that hands down, I have infinitely more knowledge and experience with the brand than you. I own multiple pairs of CP sneakers and was a fan of them way before the craze even hit SUFU (where you undoubtedly first learned of them). Everyone knows that they are made in the same factory as Lanvin, Rick Owens, etc (even Emporio Armani are having sneakers made there), but that doesn't mean ****. I didn't say they would fall apart, I inferred that if buyer's purchase them online without seeing them in person, they should note that the leather is fairly thin and the soles aren't very durable. That might cause one to reconsider dropping $400 on them.

So Lanvin sneakers are the pinnacle of quality now heh? hahahah.

Yes, I learned about CPs on superfuture... what was I supposed to just walk in on them in the bevy [read: that's a lie] of shops that carry them here in Victoria, BC (or even Vancouver, for that matter)? Please, get off your ******* horse and employ a little understanding.
No, Lanvin sneakers are not the pinnacle of quality, but your argument against CP's quality vs. pricepoint is completely ******* moot. If they dropped the price to the next lowest range (200-250 instead of 300-350) they'd be denying themselves the prestige they DESERVE based on their unfettered design and solid construction. You must also remember cachet when taking price into consideration. Would you really be happy if cheap ass streetwear kids were able to afford CPs without appreciating the true appeal of their concept, design, and execution? We pay a [fairly small] premium to keep this culture elite, and I think it's a waste of keystrokes complaining about CP pricing when sneakers with comparable quality and [oftentimes] laughable design are selling for twice to three times as much.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by curiouscharles
Yes, I learned about CPs on superfuture... what was I supposed to just walk in on them in the bevy [read: that's a lie] of shops that carry them here in Victoria, BC (or even Vancouver, for that matter)? Please, get off your ******* horse and employ a little understanding.
No, Lanvin sneakers are not the pinnacle of quality, but your argument against CP's quality vs. pricepoint is completely ******* moot. If they dropped the price to the next lowest range (200-250 instead of 300-350) they'd be denying themselves the prestige they DESERVE based on their unfettered design and solid construction. You must also remember cachet when taking price into consideration. Would you really be happy if cheap ass streetwear kids were able to afford CPs without appreciating the true appeal of their concept, design, and execution? We pay a [fairly small] premium to keep this culture elite, and I think it's a waste of keystrokes complaining about CP pricing when sneakers with comparable quality and [oftentimes] laughable design are selling for twice to three times as much.

The prestige they deserve? They're ******* sneakers. Keep the culture elite? Please...

macuser3of5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So... Perfect...

curiouscharles

Reaction score
Originally Posted by drizzt3117
The prestige they deserve? They're ******* sneakers. Keep the culture elite? Please...

The fact that you post [a lot] on a forum of this type stands in salient contradiction to what you posted, there's no denying this.

Englandmj7

Reaction score
No, Lanvin sneakers are not the pinnacle of quality, but your argument against CP's quality vs. pricepoint is completely ******* moot. If they dropped the price to the next lowest range (200-250 instead of 300-350) they'd be denying themselves the prestige they DESERVE based on their unfettered design and solid construction..

Wow.

Do you re-read this **** before you post it? Prestige = Charging a high price? Unfettered? Do you even understand what that word means?

You must also remember cachet when taking price into consideration. Would you really be happy if cheap ass streetwear kids were able to afford CPs without appreciating the true appeal of their concept, design, and execution? We pay a [fairly small] premium to keep this culture elite, and I think it's a waste of keystrokes complaining about CP pricing when sneakers with comparable quality and [oftentimes] laughable design are selling for twice to three times as much.

Cheap-ass streetwear kids? Ha haha.

Yes, I would be happy. If that were even a slight concern of mine, I would be a trend-adhering pawn. Like you. Don't act like you don't own at least one piece of clothing from each of the SUFU-approved brands. You buy this **** because you're supposed to, not because you have inherent stylishness.

As I stated before (which you seem to have difficulty grasping), the price/quality ratio of many of the brands products seems to quickly be diminishing. Same thing started happening with Visvim about a year and a half ago.

There really isn't anything to argue here, especially not with you. I stated a simple observation. If you don't agree with it, please, spend away.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The fact that you post [a lot] on a forum of this type stands in salient contradiction to what you posted, there's no denying this.

Not just contradiction but salient contradiction? Well ****.

I'm not under any illusions that people who post in this forum are "elite", and if I were, it wouldn't be because they could afford to spend $100 more to buy a pair of sneakers. If you think you're better than everyone else because you know about Common Projects, I really don't know what to tell you. In any case, I suppose you share the same taste as Kanye West. Whether that makes you elite, I don't know.

tropic

Reaction score
By the way, I don't know if somebody mentioned it but there are some of the new models at Tobi. No size 40 though
frown.gif

Englandmj7

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tropic
By the way, I don't know if somebody mentioned it but there are some of the new models at Tobi. No size 40 though
frown.gif

HEY. You're interrupting the testosterone-fest. Can't you see that grown men are arguing about metallic sneakers?

<Waits for Charles to run select words from his response through Thesaurus.com>

curiouscharles

Reaction score
Wow.

Do you re-read this **** before you post it? Prestige = Charging a high price? Unfettered? Do you even understand what that word means?

Cheap-ass streetwear kids? Ha haha.

Yes, I would be happy. If that were even a slight concern of mine, I would be a trend-adhering pawn. Like you. Don't act like you don't own at least one piece of clothing from each of the SUFU-approved brands. You buy this **** because you're supposed to, not because you have inherent stylishness.

As I stated before (which you seem to have difficulty grasping), the price/quality ratio of many of the brands products seems to quickly be diminishing. Same thing started happening with Visvim about a year and a half ago.

There really isn't anything to argue here, especially not with you. I stated a simple observation. If you don't agree with it, please, spend away.

Very intelligent of you to base your counter-retort on a very tenuous assumption of my style and inherent stylishness.

And if you don't understand how the word 'unfettered' applies to CPs design aesthetic, then you are not worth my own keystrokes.

Englandmj7

Reaction score
Very intelligent of you to base your counter-retort on a very tenuous assumption of my style and inherent stylishness.

And if you don't understand how the word 'unfettered' applies to CPs design aesthetic, then you are not worth my own keystrokes.

Not an assumption. I have seen your posts on SUFU.

If you were suggesting that they are breaking boundaries, then yes, your use of the word was entirely incorrect. They were not the first company to use metallic/patent leathers, nor are any of their designs completely original. They take classics such as desert boots, dance shoes, boxing boots, etc and re-interpret them. They are clean, stylish, and consistent, but let's not go overboard here.

Clearly, you still have much to learn. I think arrogantcharles might be a more appropriate username.

Now, kindly stop addressing me.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Alright dudes, times for everyone to unknot their panties.

Either that, or I'll exile one or more of you to men's clothing. I have a feeling that Charles, for one, would be hostile territory there. Don't doubt that the regulars will butcher you there. So, if you want to keep posting in the Happy Kingdom of Streetwear and Denim where we look fondly (if with some condescension) at the mauling of the English language, Charles, it is time to STFU.

Fok.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not an assumption. I have seen your posts on SUFU.

If you were suggesting that they are breaking boundaries, then yes, your use of the word was entirely incorrect. They were not the first company to use metallic/patent leathers, nor are any of their designs completely original. They take classics such as desert boots, dance shoes, boxing boots, etc and re-interpret them. They are clean, stylish, and consistent, but let's not go overboard here.

Clearly, you still have much to learn. I think arrogantcharles might be a more appropriate username.

Now, kindly stop addressing me.

Actually, the use of the word "unfettered" to mean "breaking boundaries" would be touching a really, really, crappy, mixed metaphor.

Nonn8tive

Reaction score
I find it difficult to understand the price inflation over their older models, which had some pretty damn nice features (thick metallic leathers, etc) and were over $100 less. Hell, they are even charging the same price for canvas sneakers now as they are for leather.

I dont understand this either, you would think that because they are a lot more popular now, with economies of scale (unless the materials they are using have gone up in price substantially) that they would be able to charge less or at least continue to stay in the same price range. At first I really wanted the desert boot, but after seeing side shots of it, I wasn't that impressed. I'll stick with my achilles for now, I really want to try those W & H sneakers. For me and fat feet, achilles arent all that comfortable so hopefully the padded insoles in the WH sneakers will make my work days a lot easier.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads