• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jean's Tailor vs Suit Tailor

jgold47

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have finally gotten a couple of pairs of nicer jeans I need tailored. I am nervous from a previous experiace (when I was 12) about getting jeans tailored, and this is the first time I will be doing this. I have a tailor I take my formal wear to, and I have seen jeans (even a pair of 7's) on his rack before. He charges about 14 a hem, so he is expensive. Are there better alternatives to a more formal tailor? Specifically I was thinking about a department store tailor? My real issue is just making sure the hem looks legit, with a chain stitch and the like.

flatfront

Reaction score
If he has done good work for you in the past and you are a regular customer I would much rather use him than the impersonal departmant store tailor.
If you are worried about his work on jeans ask him to look at some he has altered if you don't like the look of the work you are free to go elsewhere.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
a normal neighborhood tailor will not be able to chainstitch your jeans

If you take a look at the Chainstitch thread that LAGuy started, you'll see that it's not easy to find someone who can do it, other than sending the jeans to a specialized denim shop (like Self Edge)

I have been seeing more alteration places advertise that they re-attach the original hem when they shorten the inseam, so that may be an option in your area too

JoelF

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Recently had some APCs hemmed by my usual (very good) local tailor, not a chain stitch but nice match on the thread color, they came out fine. $10 total cost. But if someone will be taking a magnifying glass to your jean hem you may want to explore other alternatives.

_Gav

Reaction score
^APCs don't have a chainstitched hem in the first place, so it doesn't matter when having them hemmed.

onion

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
a normal neighborhood tailor will not be able to chainstitch your jeans If you take a look at the Chainstitch thread that LAGuy started, you'll see that it's not easy to find someone who can do it, other than sending the jeans to a specialized denim shop (like Self Edge)
I've also found many tailors will say they can when they can't, absolutely no idea why (maybe the language barrier?). I had 3 or 4 different tailors tell me they could do chain stitching, and when I explained what it was to make sure we were on the same page, all of them told me they in fact could not do it.

hollaforadolla

Reaction score
chainstiching requires a special machine, some vintage sewing machine or whatever not produced anymore. in any case, any tailor would have to go way out of their way to obtain such a device. so its probably unlikely that your tailor has it

JoelF

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by _Gav
^APCs don't have a chainstitched hem in the first place, so it doesn't matter when having them hemmed.
Thanks for the information man. But who really cares anyway, tell me, are people on their hands and knees checking out your jean hem?

jgold47

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
no but I think it can look marsupialed and really ruin the look of jeans when the hem looks like it was done on your mom's sewing machine. the pinched/ruffled look with the matching stitiching makes the look in my mind and thats what I was going for.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jgold47
no but I think it can look marsupialed and really ruin the look of jeans when the hem looks like it was done on your mom's sewing machine. the pinched/ruffled look with the matching stitiching makes the look in my mind and thats what I was going for.

Most tailors can match the stitching just fine, that's why they have dozens of colors of threads in their shops.

JoelF

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jgold47
You must be going to a marsupialed tailor if his / her stitching looks like it came off your mom's sewing machine. Suggest you find a different tailor ASAP.

_Gav

Reaction score
no, what i was saying is you don't need to worry about chainstitching on APCs.

But for repro japanese denim.... it's just important. If you have to question why, then you just don't get it. No big deal but some of us are very particular about these things.

JoelF

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by _Gav
no, what i was saying is you don't need to worry about chainstitching on APCs.

But for repro japanese denim.... it's just important. If you have to question why, then you just don't get it. No big deal but some of us are very particular about these things.

I see, and thanks so much for the very good clarification. Who are you exactly?

Mr. Potato

Reaction score
The only reason to get chainstitiching is to get a roping effect, cuff to show off the "authentic" feel. With most sanforized denim, it's not necessary to get them chainstitched since you won't really be washing them as often to get the roping. Unless you want to show off other people that yes, you have few more hem threads that is indestructible....

I have my SDAs and Samurais lock stitched as they call it by my local tailor. They still produce the roping effect. Probably the closest to chainstitching.

JO3B

Reaction score
you don't have to worry about chainstiching any sort of jean. But its a personal preference. Just because APCs don't come chainstitched on their original hem doesn't mean doing so is wrong. It would actually create a more attractive hem anyway.

and as far as i know, the roping effect is not created by presence or lack of sanforization. its due to the stitch tensing up due to washing and wearing.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads