• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which hair styling product?

Violinist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have very thick hair and want to be able to manipulate my hair without it appearing or feeling greasy. Is there anything which is a decent substitute for your own natural oils? I want something extremely subtle.

I have tried that Bed Head stuff (too goey and thick), this Kerastase hair wax (makes hair way too shiny and the hold doesn't feel natural), and this Redken stuff which was like a white paste, but it wasn't so grainy. I kind of liked it since it doesn't make you look dirty or greasy, but I have not been able to find it since.

Is there anything light with modest hold, and a matte appearnce in the hair?

jleeo225

Reaction score
I guess it also depends on the length of your hair. If it's short, you may want to try a Japanese product called Magic Move, which also comes in various hold strengths. Another product that I've been trying lately is Kiehl's Creative Cream Wax, but there may be a little too much hold for your liking.

beano

Reaction score
i use a brand called nakano. picked it up from my local hair salon, although it is pricey at 20 bucks a pop, it holds well, feels light in the hair and gives a matte finish.

unrated

Reaction score
Gatsby Spikey edge, Sebastian Xtah crude clay

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Are you looking for a styling product to hold your hair in place, or a humectant/moisturizer so your hair is more manageable and lays naturally? Your original post sounded like the latter, whilst all of the suggestions have been for the former...

I have thick coarse hair as well, which at short lengths is straight and is stiff, but with any real length tends to become wiry/bushy and completely unmanageable...
I come out of the shower and put a dime-sized dab of Weleda rosemary hair oil in my palm, and work it through my damp hair, first with a wide-tooth comb and then over again with a fine-tooth ace comb. That spreads it through nicely to the ends and it can either be left to air dry or be blown dry, and my hair takes on a normal smooth texture and lays properly afterwards.
One could use styling product like wax or the things mentioned above, after the oil, if they so chose, if they wanted their hair to hold a certain way, I suppose.

Violinist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by impolyt_one
Are you looking for a styling product to hold your hair in place, or a humectant/moisturizer so your hair is more manageable and lays naturally? Your original post sounded like the latter, whilst all of the suggestions have been for the former...

I have thick coarse hair as well, which at short lengths is straight and is stiff, but with any real length tends to become wiry/bushy and completely unmanageable...
I come out of the shower and put a dime-sized dab of Weleda rosemary hair oil in my palm, and work it through my damp hair, first with a wide-tooth comb and then over again with a fine-tooth ace comb. That spreads it through nicely to the ends and it can either be left to air dry or be blown dry, and my hair takes on a normal smooth texture and lays properly afterwards.
One could use styling product like wax or the things mentioned above, after the oil, if they so chose, if they wanted their hair to hold a certain way, I suppose.

I actually have thick, but very soft hair that can become puffy. I can quite easily do the "Eric Foreman" (from that 70s show) or Beatles hair cut with three strokes of a hair brush. I just want something that mimics the natural oils that make your hair a bit easier to manipulate, without that product look. Unfortunately, if I shower around 10am, it doesn't really happen until about 12 hours later. So, something really light but not shiny and waxy. I tend to use very little because I don't want my hair to lose the soft texture.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Gatsby wax probably has the most variety of waxes for that purpose then. I've found that using just a very tiny amount of the lighter Gatsby or Mandom waxes and then blow drying will melt the wax to the point where it's just a thin coating for the hair, and it will hold the hair in place. Not a typical 'waxed' look or the appearance of having product all throughout your hair. Are you Asian? (serious question) There is the old school Gatsby (I like the red one, I don't know the names or differences between them, but the red one smells faintly like grapefruit and blow drys easily and semi-glossy) http://image.bizrate.com/resize?sq=1...7387&mid=31606 And then there are the newer 'moving rubber' waxes from Gatsby, I like the green or orange ones of these. (again, I don't know why, but i suppose I originally chose all of these specifically because I have thick hair)
hs_sha_pic01.jpg

Nonn8tive

Reaction score
The newer "moving rubber" wax by gatsby...what kind of finish is it? im asian and my hair is think and definitely not soft...i want a natural finish, not that look where those younger kids plaster on the wax and you can tell that a tornado wont knock it out of place.

JWang

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nonn8tive
The newer "moving rubber" wax by gatsby...what kind of finish is it? im asian and my hair is think and definitely not soft...i want a natural finish, not that look where those younger kids plaster on the wax and you can tell that a tornado wont knock it out of place.

http://www.gatsby.jp/products/howto/index.html

All of them are matte-type finishes except the blue "cool wet" one I think. Also, look at the GATSBY TV link at the top to give you an idea on how each one is supposed to be used.

Being the half h****y I am, I've got thick, thin-stranded hair that gets wavy with length and Gatsby works perfectly fine.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads