• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Deck shoes

coogie

Reaction score
Hi there, I really want to get some nice deck shoes for the summer casual wear and also its great for on the boat. I like something like this, but obviously a mens version

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandhea...ture=329795425

What brands would you recommend? if i could buy a pair online (UK) it would be great too! Price doesn't really matter

thanks for any help

JoeWoah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sperry Topsider's... it's the only brand, period. All others are copies since they are the original.

http://www.sperrytopsider.com/index.jsp

It's an American company and some lines are still made in Massachusetts, so I'd buy them from an American site since that would probably be where you'd find the best value. Take advantage of that currency too.

You can find them on Ebay, Amazon, Macys.com, just about any online shoe store like Zappos http://www.zappos.com/n/br/b/152/Spe...Top-Sider.html too.

They're pretty inexpensive. I bought a pair on sale recently for $15.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JoeWoah
Sperry Topsider's... it's the only brand, period. All others are copies since they are the original.

http://www.sperrytopsider.com/index.jsp

It's an American company and some lines are still made in Massachusetts, so I'd buy them from an American site since that would probably be where you'd find the best value. Take advantage of that currency too.

You can find them on Ebay, Amazon, Macys.com, just about any online shoe store like Zappos http://www.zappos.com/n/br/b/152/Spe...Top-Sider.html too.

They're pretty inexpensive. I bought a pair on sale recently for $15.

Sperry Topsider.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't forget Ireland's outpost of D4 douchebaggery - Dubarrys.

http://www.dubarryboots.com/

Better looking than Sperry, and already on your side of the Atlantic.

Edit: they've gotten vf expensive since I was young, apparently.

JoeWoah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Eh, not a fan... and better looking?
plain.gif
That's subjective. Too pricey at approx $250USD, deck shoes are supposed to be inexpensive, not merely look inexpensive.

You can pay $1500 for a Seersucker suit too.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by coogie
What brands would you recommend? if i could buy a pair online (UK) it would be great too! Price doesn't really matter

I was browsing a friend's Charles Tyrwhitt catalogue today. They have some nifty looking boat shoes: click here

If you use that link, you can get 50% off ("elliot" landing page)

coachvu

Reaction score
Sebago's Docksides are much better made than Sperry Top Siders, IMO. More expensive, too.

JoeWoah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm a New Englander and was raised in them. The company is a local institution and hanging out around the water is too. Could explain my fondness for them.

I get a lot of use out of my dock shoes and I beat the hell out of them. I need something that looks good, is comfortable and relatively cheap so I don't feel like I should care what I do in them. Sperry's meet all that.

Plus, you don't need to worry about getting them wet (well, the pairs I buy).

Bill Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since I started wearing deck shoes as a teen way back in the 1980s in the Summer (or knocking around the house in the winter) either Sperry or Timberland make great shoes. Sperrys are the original, Timberland makes a quality product. I have not tried Sebago yet, try them next when my Timberlands wear out.

coogie

Reaction score
Thanks for all of the great advice. I bought a pair of Sperry Billfish 3 from amazon.com
costs almost double to ship to the UK but it's fine because american clothes seem cheap

I hope i'm correct that size 45 is US-11.5

Might grab some Rockport Bridgeport as well. I have to be careful with colours of these because i'm only 24, but quite preppy so I can get away with it.

thetieguy

Reaction score
I bought a pair of Sperry's last year and they are out of this world. They are the only deck shoes worth buying in my mind. I am sure you will enjoy them.

Saltwater Wrangler

Reaction score
Originally Posted by coogie
Thanks for all of the great advice. I bought a pair of Sperry Billfish 3 from amazon.com
costs almost double to ship to the UK but it's fine because american clothes seem cheap

I hope i'm correct that size 45 is US-11.5

Might grab some Rockport Bridgeport as well. I have to be careful with colours of these because i'm only 24, but quite preppy so I can get away with it.

Excellent call with the Billfish. I'm a huge Sperry fan but the Topsiders are way too flimsy and I can wear through a pair in one season. Billfish have a lot more support and will last longer.

coogie

Reaction score
Can't wait to get them

What trousers shall i get to go with them for a more every day casual situation? i think i'll only dare the white trousers on the boat

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads