• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SF Punk Rock thread

poly800rock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
I just grew up in an entirely different era of "punk" than you guys. The bands I followed were No Use for a Name, Pulley, Ten foot pole, Jawbreaker, Strung Out, Craig's Brother, Slickshoes, Lagwagon, Bad Astronaut, Saves the Day (the early "Can't Slow Down" years), etc.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Parker
GS, I had a show on KUCI in the eighties. What year were you there?

damn it's a small world. I started in 88 with a midnite shift then we (The Jonestown Junkies) had our primetime gig from 9-midnite on Mondays from 89-91. Also did a ska/skinhead reggae show for a short time in 89, and funny thing is that this guy Bradford J. Stein (who went by the alias Tazy Phillips) got partnered up with me since he wanted a ska show but the station only wanted one so they asked if I could duo with him, I said sure, and the nonsense that became The Ska Parade happened.
frown.gif

If you were there prior to 87, maybe you remember the Generic Eric show? He did the all punk show before I came aboard, and happens to be one of my closest friends still today.

poly800rock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
**** you. I took a piss on the front door of the old Beecher house last month just for you!

singer from ten foot pole was a pro baseball pitcher

warlok1965

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
man, we must have been at a lot of the same shows. We practically lived at Fenders Ballroom and the Reseda Country Club. During that time in college my buddy and I had a radio show on KUCI 88.9 mon nites that was purely punk/hardcore/oi. Some of our in-house guests were Jon Bunch from Reason 2 Believe, Zach De La Rocha when he was in Hard Stance and Inside Out, Kevin Seconds, bands like Offspring, DI, Carry Nation (played live over the air), Insted, Tony from Adolescents (he was in Flower Leperds at time), and pretty much every band in the OC Hardcore scene since most of em were our friends we hung out with.

That SOIA show was with Killing Time and Carry Nation....there is live 7" that Nemesis records put out of that gig with each band representing 2 tracks

Do you remember when the CroMags played in support of the "best wishes" record and San Fernando SHARP were there protesting since the CroMags thanked an "Ian Stuart" on the record and they thought it was the singer of Skrewdriver, but Harley said it wasnt and just some friend with the same name.....hmmmm

Funny, I do have a very vague recollection of a college radio show that played hardcore bands. Maybe it was you guys. That must have been great to hang out with all the OC hardcore bands! Insted was great live, I think I saw them twice. I don't recall the CroMags controversy...bought Best Wishes when it came out but I didn't get to see them play.

Good memory on the Sick of it All show. Any idea how I can get my hands on a copy for my "shows I've been to" collection?

poly800rock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Singer from Yellowcard used to be in Craig's Brother.

dashboard dude used to be in shai halud, or was that new found glory?

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by poly800rock
singer from ten foot pole was a pro baseball pitcher

funny how many pro-baseball pitchers were well-known punk rock guys...

also, Scott the singer of Scared Straight (SxEx band on Mystic records from oxnard) did a stint with the White Sox, and Pat Dubar from Uniform Choice was a pitcher somewhere too

pitboss12

Reaction score
I went to UCR in the late 90's. I caught most of the punk and ska shows that would come up at the Barn. The one memory that sticks out is a roomful of gutter punks with wilting mohawks at the end of a UK Subs show.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by warlok1965
Good memory on the Sick of it All show. Any idea how I can get my hands on a copy for my "shows I've been to" collection?

hmmm not sure. I had a copy of the original 7" (Nemesis was Big Frank of Carry Nation/Zed recordstore label) when it first came out, sold it many years later....re-bought it on CD when it got re-issued a few years back, but I don't know if it's still attainable. The CD is a compilation of all the "Nemesis Live" 7"s that were put out back then which were all shows from The Country Club, so it has that SOIA show as well as others (Visual Discrimination, Insted, Slapshot, NFAA, etc)

warlok1965

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
funny how many pro-baseball pitchers were well-known punk rock guys... also, Scott the singer of Scared Straight (SxEx band on Mystic records from oxnard) did a stint with the White Sox, and Pat Dubar from Uniform Choice was a pitcher somewhere too
Then there are guys like the UPS deliveryman who showed up at my door when I was fourteen, saw my Circle Jerks shirt, and introduced himself as the bass player for Wasted Youth.
confused.gif

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pitboss12
I went to UCR in the late 90's. I caught most of the punk and ska shows that would come up at the Barn. The one memory that sticks out is a roomful of gutter punks with wilting mohawks at the end of a UK Subs show.

My wife went to all the shows at the Barn too....I was even in a band in 1996 that played the Barn, if I remember right we played with 98 Mute and DFL

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by warlok1965
a copy for my "shows I've been to" collection?

speaking of which I think they put out a DVD of Bad Religion, NoFX, and Pennywise gig we went to in North Hollywood in 90 or 91 called "The Riot" since the show ended in a riot. The gig was at an old theatre with no floor for a pit, so Pennywise is playing first and tell everyone to rip out the seats to make a floor and guys were tearing seats out. NoFX played next and the show got shut down after police and fire trucks came out, told everyone to go home, and when the crowd wouldnt disperse, busted out the firehoses and started spraying punk kids.

That wasnt nearly as bad as the "riot" we were in at Fenders in Long Beach....we went to see Insted, MDC and a bunch of other bands (MDC headlined) and after Insted they kicked everyone out for firecode violation (too crowded), told everyone to go home, no one did, someone threw a bottle at the cops lined up and that kicked off a riot down 2nd st with cops whacking kids with their truncheons, kids running over parked cars and kicking in storefronts and windshields. Even saw kids forcing driving cars to stop, run across the hood and kick in the windshield as they went across. We were running with Franco (MDC bassist) who kept yelling out a stoned-out half hearted "fuckin cops, **** you"

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads