• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Posting same topic here and on AAAC forums??

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AldenPyle
I'm not sure why people find Cruiser so offensive. Extremely repetitive, maybe.

This message is hidden because Cruiser is on your ignore list.

Cruiser is an offending element, but I blame his rise and influence over the forum on poor moderation choices.

james_timothy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cantabrigian
I just don't - in general - understand why someone would forebear from responding in the moment only to then whine about an incident for months afterwards.
It's not a big deal - it's just odd.

My take on it was that he was surprised that no one else in the thread raised a voice, other than a few embarrassed throat clearings. One could expect one's friends to say something. That surprise could last long enough to decide not to respond.

There doesn't seem much danger of folks not raising a voice here: Bradford's analysis seems right. There is always the possibility that responding to the vocal knuckleheads will get tiresome, but having a culture of speaking out spreads the work around.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
I just don't - in general - understand why someone would forebear from responding in the moment only to then whine about an incident for months afterwards.

And even if you're going to go that route, why pretend that you didn't respond immediately because you were above it (while at the same time launching a new passive-aggressive attack)?

It's not a big deal - it's just odd.

In Jan's defense, how is waiting 6-months to bring up the incident anywhere near the same as whining about it "for months afterwards"?

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sator
. . . And it is clearly not just JLiboural who has moved on but Dopey, RJman and quite a few others who have identified themselves in this thread. Next as a result Will and Manton too are rarely seen there and it snowballs. Even AlanC is not posting there as much he used to and he is a mod!
Originally Posted by Bradford
. . . I would argue that the downfall of intelligent discussion and the rise of Cruiser is the natural outgrowth of the heavy-handed moderation that has always been the hallmark of the Andy fora. Unfortunately, when you drive away original thinkers, censor any criticisms and force everyone to live in the fear that they may cross the invisible line of the Malindae at any time, you end up with a situation where a poster like Cruiser can build his reputation and standing to the point where no one can or will challenge him - even when he makes insulting remarks like his comment about Jan's wife, or as he argues, women of that ilk. . .
To be clear, the reason I don't participate much on AAAC has nothing to do with Cruiser or with the moderation, at least not directly. I don't spend much time there because it is not that interesting. At any given time, there are several threads on SF that I am interested and maybe one on AAAC. What's more, the people whose posts I find most interesting or informative are here. Some used to be there, too, but now they are not. Or at least not much. Maybe they moved here because of Cruiser. Maybe because of the moderation. Maybe for some other reason. But these forums are only as interesting as their inhabitants and if the inhabitants move, there is no reason to hang around. I have nothing invested in any of these places so there is really no anchor other than the level of interest at any given moment. Edit: Would someone mind posting a link to the comments to which Jlibourel is referring. I would like to see it in context.

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bradford
In Jan's defense, how is waiting 6-months to bring up the incident anywhere near the same as whining about it "for months afterwards"?
I think he brought it up a few times over at the more advanced forum.
devil.gif

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
I think he brought it up a few times over at the more advanced forum.
devil.gif

Well I wouldn't be surprised, isn't the "inane post of the day" thread a nearly equal split between commentary on Cruiser and Manton? I thought that was the chief purpose of Devil's Island.

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
However, even I can comprehend this much: You are running the largest men's clothing forum in the world. ...
I've seen statements like this in various guises and it boggles my mind. SF has been a significantly larger and more vibrant forum than AAAC for some time: AAAC Members: 16,145 "Active" members: 6,971 Threads: 46,411 Posts: 514,969 Currently active guests: 59 Currently active members: 321 Most ever users online: 575 SF Members : 24,916 "Active" members: ? Threads: 59,799 Posts: 990,203 Currently active guests: 285 Currently active members: 374 Most ever users online: 847 The "fashion forum" over there can feel like a ghost town.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by YoungFogey
I suppose we all have our cheap tricks.

I suppose. Not me, though.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
Is he Andy's non-Union Mexican equivalent (something like Senor Spielbergo?)

Perish the thought sir!

The only Hispanic mentions appropriate in this context are wealthy Argentines playing polo.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
I suppose. Not me, though.
Sassy!

Originally Posted by LabelKing
Perish the thought sir!

The only Hispanic mentions appropriate in this context are wealthy Argentines playing polo.

Let's not forget Cesar Chavez and el espárrago. Si se puede!!!!

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
I think some Andy-ites would like to claim themselves criollos.

cruzeros?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
Sassy!

Truthful.

What I write is plain as day. At least, when I write to challenge the BS of others, it is plain as day. Sometimes I obscure a little in the CE threads, but that's different.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads