• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

(Old) What Are You Wearing Now/Today? Part II - pictures only - no discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SuperBobo
Socal

No offense taken, but im curious of how I look sloppy?

I would have said disheveled; but, the word sloppy was already being thrown around.

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I fear my english isnt good enough to grasp the difference between sloppy and disheveled, and what associations the words conjure...

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SuperBobo
I fear my english isnt good enough to grasp the difference between sloppy and disheveled, and what associations the words conjure...

You are not a native speaker?

Sloppy = messy or even dirty
Dishelved = unkempt, untucked shirt, messy hair with a beanie halfway on, rushed out the door and threw a fe things on

Fade to Black

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
dishevelled is good...it brings to mind something like Serge Gainsbourg; rumpled chic. Sloppy sounds like a 10 year old child took his 16 year old brother's clothes and is wading around in garments that look too big and totally out of place.

edit: yeah socal hit it on the head. although i don't style myself to such dramatic effect (i find often times people who go out looking like that are TRYING to look like that), that sums up how i get dressed pretty much.

mulansauce

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Where are you from Bobo? Your English is very good; I wouldn't have guessed you weren't a native speaker.

"Sloppy" can indeed mean "ill-fitting." But, at least to me, it is usually reserved for someone who is slovenly or careless. You can say what you will about the fit of yamamoto, but it is anything but thoughtless.

Fade to Black

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yeah...i mean a blanket statement could be made about Yohji's clothes (at least his menswear) as "sloppy," but even then I would not necessarily say so in a bad context. Sloppy is when someone is wearing ill fitting, poorly made clothing in a way that feels oblivious. And with Yohji, that's clearly not the case as the clothes drape, move, and are constructed in a way that presents a very clear and assured vision of the designer.

Case in point, there's a pair of heavy cotton velour sweatpants from this season, drop crotch, EXTREMELY baggy...looking at it on the hanger, it feels intimidating because it seems as if the wearer will be totally engulfed by the fabric, dragged down by its sheer weight after putting it on. But if you look at someone who wears and moves around in those pants with confidence, it isn't quite the same as someone who is walking around in awkwardly loose clothes. There's a method to the madness, or poetry in motion, shall we say...

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mulansauce
Where are you from Bobo? Your English is very good, I wouldn't have guessed you weren't a native speaker.

"Sloppy" can indeed mean "ill-fitting." But, at least to me, it is usually reserved for someone who is slovenly or careless. You can say what you will about the fit of yamamoto, but it is anything but thoughtless.

Im swedish. Thanks
smile.gif

JohnnyLaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is a very interesting discussion and the WAYWT thread needs more like it.

I for one would not call SuperBobo's looks either sloppy or disheveled, although I agree with SoCal's definitions of the terms.

The cut of SuperBobo's clothes may be looser but he obviously pays a lot of attention to the details. The textures and colours work well together, nothing clashes and everything is buttoned up and in place. The feeling I get from the overall aesthetic is modest but dignified - a proud working man's clothing.

When Fade to Black puts on his Yohji Yamamoto outfit, I would call that disheveled. It looks luxurious but thrown together a bit carelessly. Unbuttoned, wrinkled and sagging, but the wearer obviously doesn't care. It's a good look, but not something I would personally be comfortable in. It's kind of the opposite of SuperBobo's look - it's clothing for the self-assured idle rich.

Fade to Black

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JohnnyLaw
When Fade to Black puts on his Yohji Yamamoto outfit, I would call that disheveled. It looks luxurious but thrown together a bit carelessly. Unbuttoned, wrinkled and sagging, but the wearer obviously doesn't care. It's a good look, but not something I would personally be comfortable in. It's kind of the opposite of SuperBobo's look - it's clothing for the self-assured idle rich.

hmm...a bit presumptuous and dare i say rude, don't you think? If anything, Yohji's clothing is the last brand i would attach the label 'self assured idle rich' to its admirers. Some brands, like Lanvin I would throw in this category, but to make such a blanket statement about a designer you don't seem to be too familiar with is not in such good taste.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JohnnyLaw
The cut of SuperBobo's clothes may be looser but he obviously pays a lot of attention to the details. The textures and colours work well together, nothing clashes and everything is buttoned up and in place. The feeling I get from the overall aesthetic is modest but dignified - a proud working man's clothing.

Good points, both. Well said too.

JohnnyLaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fade to Black,

I didn't mean to offend, and I do apologize to you if that was the effect. I admit that I'm not as familiar with Yohji Yamamoto as I could be. From the little that I saw, that was my overall impression. I also didn't mean to say that either SuperBobo was working class or that you were idle and rich, just that that is how I see both aesthetics.

No judgement was passed on the wearers.

Fade to Black

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
no offense taken, thanks for clearing it up.

and i would not be surprised if superbobo was wealthier than i, in fact i am almost certain of it.

mulansauce

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Presumptuous, yes. Rude, perhaps. But incorrect? Yohji's clothing doesn't come cheap.

I agree though that there seem to be many misconceptions about his clothing around these parts. Until a few days ago, I might have agreed with many on here who dismiss the look as unkempt or ill-fitting, but after researching his work more, I have come to respect it. I would really like to see his clothing in person to appreciate it more. Sadly, I live in a benighted hovel ungraced by such fineries.

(PS. I'm poorer than both of you combined. I can post my tax returns to prove it).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads