• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

LThomsen

Reaction score
How is their Bavarian similar /different from box calf, vegano, museum calf used in shoes at this price range?

galileo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jodphurs

9AA32A6B-CF3C-4C36-AA49-1CFC886CC5D7.jpeg 92F15BAF-D677-4D9C-B298-EC38BA5456B8.jpeg

WhyUEarly

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How is their Bavarian similar /different from box calf, vegano, museum calf used in shoes at this price range?
Short answer is the bavarian calf is superior. I'm not a fan of vegano; it's a good leather but it doesn't seem to hold a shine well. Museum calf doesn't age well in my limited experience. Boxcalf is a more complicated story where I'm not knowledgeable enough about leather to answer properly. I've had excellent boxcalf, but for boxcalf on most shoes in the $800-1000 range I've experienced, I would say the Bavarian calf is better choice. There's def boxcalf out there that is just as good as the crust Bavarian calf that Zonkey Boot uses.

acapaca

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here is a shot of (one of) my Chelsea boots. As I recall, I got them on a last pair sale or something similar, and they arrived in a much brighter shade of blue than I had hoped for. So I slathered dark brown cream polish all over them (I didn't have any black at the time). I haven't worn them outside the house since then, but indoors they do now look like a satisfying shade of dark blue.

I didn't know they were from Bavarian calf -- assuming mine indeed are as well -- but I do love how supple that skin is! And again, what an unexpectedly great fit around the ankle.

IMG_20200721_212613.jpg

WhyUEarly

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is a shot of (one of) my Chelsea boots. As I recall, I got them on a last pair sale or something similar, and they arrived in a much brighter shade of blue than I had hoped for. So I slathered dark brown cream polish all over them (I didn't have any black at the time). I haven't worn them outside the house since then, but indoors they do now look like a satisfying shade of dark blue.

I didn't know they were from Bavarian calf -- assuming mine indeed are as well -- but I do love how supple that skin is! And again, what an unexpectedly great fit around the ankle.

View attachment 1460969
I think I have the same pair as you from the Canadian retailer Shear Luxury. It's labelled as Bavarian calf. It's supple yet strong and takes wear well even in snowy/rainy weather

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I actually really like this, and again their leather performance is just top notch.

Question: has anyone tried MTM with Zonkey? I have a low instep which doesn't really fit their last.
Yes, my favorite boot in my entire collection was a made to measure pair from Zonkey. Back before this boot was a stock boot for them.
87D393B4-47DC-4E56-80F1-28D20F8D02E4.jpeg

Alexandra Diaconu
FDE0AAF4-1D51-4EB9-A8E1-3E6250CCA520.jpeg

Alexandra Diaconu was great to work with through the whole process.

Encore

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can you please kindly share what can/ cannot be modified for MTM with ZB?
You’ll find everything here:

Also like I mentioned, Alexandra is exceptionally accommodating at providing all the information on what they offer. I recommend you start a dialogue with her, as she will be the best source of information.

Encore

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You’ll find everything here:

Also like I mentioned, Alexandra is exceptionally accommodating at providing all the information on what they offer. I recommend you start a dialogue with her, as she will be the best source of information.
Oh thanks man.. but I was actually inquire about MTM (Made to Measure) program, I read the link you shared and I think it's more of a MTO program not MTM program. I have flat feet with low instep and small heel, that result protruding the inner quarter of my shoes, which I don't like the look, hence I need some modification on the last and therefore I am wondering if they offer MTM.

I understand I can simply sent them an E-mail.. just I hate to contact them before I am ready for ordering.

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh thanks man.. but I was actually inquire about MTM (Made to Measure) program, I read the link you shared and I think it's more of a MTO program not MTM program. I have flat feet with low instep and small heel, that result protruding the inner quarter of my shoes, which I don't like the look, hence I need some modification on the last and therefore I am wondering if they offer MTM.

I understand I can simply sent them an E-mail.. just I hate to contact them before I am ready for ordering.
Understood, my only hesitation is that it was in 2016, so any information I pass on will be severely outdated. However, I don’t recall them offering made to measure when I ordered. Again, that was 2016 and things may have changed since then.

Edit: I found the email from her and she specifically said back in 2016 they do not offer MTM, again, best to check with her to see if this still stands.

ctttt777

Reaction score
Anyone ordered directly from zonkeyboots.com to US? Will there be import taxes? And is the price exact the amount transfered from the Euros from their site? Thanks in advance, I owneds several zonkey boots from sale and now I'm really tempted to purchase them in full price.

deez shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone ordered directly from zonkeyboots.com to US? Will there be import taxes? And is the price exact the amount transfered from the Euros from their site? Thanks in advance, I owneds several zonkey boots from sale and now I'm really tempted to purchase them in full price.
I can't remember if I did. I've been lucky many times but not all of the time. The best practice is to always be prepared to pay.

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ve ordered from them quite a bit, and yes to an import duty if it’s over $800. In terms of the price, that all depends on the exchange rate from euro to dollar at time of purchase, and if your card charges a foreign transaction fee..etc, etc.

DavidCreightonB

Reaction score
I order direct to USA and their importer declares the price to US Customs and you will get a bill for what you paid ZB.

DaveB

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads