• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Jmr928

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I'm newish to quality shoes and boots. Just turned 50 and very tempted by a pair of ZB 055 Sarto chukka boots as a present to myself to mark the occassion. I don't wear suits nor too much denim...cords, chinos, wool and flannel trousers. Reckon this colour would go with most of what I own and colours too (beige, navy, mid to light grey etc.). I really love the shape of the boot and the texture. Yet to see the colour in real life though.

https://zonkeyboot.com/products/zerofivefive-sarto-two-eyelet-chukka-boots

I've never spent this amount on shoes or boots. A few hundred euros maybe (CJ, Trickers, Cheaney etc.) but this is a notch up. They'd be a present to myself - no one will starve as the funds come from a kind employer and annual bonus. So "free money". But, again, they are a lot.

Please tell me I am not insane to consider buying these!
Please tell me they are top quality!
Please tell me that they are not so fashionable that they will look silly in 10-15-20 years (I might though!!)!
Please tell me that they will last 10-15-20 years (I have a pair of high street chukka boots from a UK chain, Dune, that are going strong after 14 years and hardly "top quality")!

Cheers

Graham
Not insane. Great looking boot that should last a long time. Welcome to the dark side
DFD647BE-607F-4B77-A98F-EF05C20646CC.gif

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I'm newish to quality shoes and boots. Just turned 50 and very tempted by a pair of ZB 055 Sarto chukka boots as a present to myself to mark the occassion. I don't wear suits nor too much denim...cords, chinos, wool and flannel trousers. Reckon this colour would go with most of what I own and colours too (beige, navy, mid to light grey etc.). I really love the shape of the boot and the texture. Yet to see the colour in real life though.

https://zonkeyboot.com/products/zerofivefive-sarto-two-eyelet-chukka-boots

I've never spent this amount on shoes or boots. A few hundred euros maybe (CJ, Trickers, Cheaney etc.) but this is a notch up. They'd be a present to myself - no one will starve as the funds come from a kind employer and annual bonus. So "free money". But, again, they are a lot.

Please tell me that they are not so fashionable that they will look silly in 10-15-20 years (I might though!!)!
Please tell me that they will last 10-15-20 years (I have a pair of high street chukka boots from a UK chain, Dune, that are going strong after 14 years and hardly "top quality")!

Cheers

Graham
Great choice as your first well made shoe, you chose an excellent maker.

DavidCreightonB

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

Answer: Everyone occasionally make good choices. I enjoy style. My wife looks at my stuff and thinks I'm a fucking idiot.

ANSWER: They are a great value and well made. Everyone's definition of quality can be different. Some count the length of each stitch or look for a mark where the last was released, others compare within the same price range.

ANSWER: Chukka's, derbies, these styles as interpreted by ZB will never go out of fashion. However, at a certain age we don't give a shit how others feel we look.

ANSWER: These will outlast you.

A couple of suggestions.
If you go forward with this purchase, contact ZB to make sure you get this correctly fitted. You might want to look over the MTO options at ZB. I'm not sure how the antiquing looks and like seeing some grain in the uppers, but that is just my preference. Finally, you want the boots to be comfortable. ZB has a high arch. I have flat feet so these are great for me. I would suggest looking on some of the shoe or auction sites for used ZB's in your size that you might like. It can be easy to tell when a shoe doesn't fit but you can't just try on a pair of shoes and know they are right for you. When I went from shoes that had some volume to tighter fits and higher arches, I didn't like them with at first. After a a few weeks of wear, I was able to understand what was going to be comfortable for many years. You're making a good choice for style and construction with ZB, but you need to understand if these lasts work for you before pulling the trigger on a new pair.

DaveB

GrahamM

Reaction score
Thanks for all your inputs guys! Still a little on the fence, but leaning towards buying....

I have been in touch with ZB regarding sizing/fit and reckon there might be a bit of shipping to and fro.

I have a fairly high instep, so my reading of "DaveB"'s comments suggest that the maybe ZB's classic last may not suit me? One way to find out I guess.

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all your inputs guys! Still a little on the fence, but leaning towards buying....

I have been in touch with ZB regarding sizing/fit and reckon there might be a bit of shipping to and fro.

I have a fairly high instep, so my reading of "DaveB"'s comments suggest that the maybe ZB's classic last may not suit me? One way to find out I guess.
Do you like the way the Sailor last looks? I believe that one has a higher instep

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Favorite Shorts Length

• Above the knee

• Knee length

• Below the knee

• None of the above

• Mid-thigh ("short shorts")

Results are only viewable after voting.