• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WhyUEarly

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure if you’re in the States but here’s what I do. I get killed on customs fees, but I go through the Zonkey site. When considering the typical up charge of vendors, the price tends to be a wash mostly.

what's the hit on customs? Is it X% over $800.

gmehra

Reaction score
its supposed to be 5% for duty but the carriers always charge their bullshit clearance fees which can vary depending on the carrier, shipping method, and value. I would expect 5% duty on the total amount (not just the part over $800) plus $100-$150 in clearance fees

deez shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
its supposed to be 5% for duty but the carriers always charge their bullshit clearance fees which can vary depending on the carrier, shipping method, and value. I would expect 5% duty on the total amount (not just the part over $800) plus $100-$150 in clearance fees
Gmehra, on that same note, I have to update people on the Japanese shoemakers thread because sabot did some shady stuff where I was charged 10 instead of 5 percent even though I supplied them with the correct HTS code, which you had previously suggested, prior to placing my order. They straight up ignored me.

gmehra

Reaction score
Gmehra, on that same note, I have to update people on the Japanese shoemakers thread because sabot did some shady stuff where I was charged 10 instead of 5 percent even though I supplied them with the correct HTS code, which you had previously suggested, prior to placing my order. They straight up ignored me.
ouch, and on japanese shoes thats a big amount. you should try to file a claim with the shipping company and/or US customs to get a refund. I know you can do that in Canada but not sure how it works down there

deez shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ouch, and on japanese shoes thats a big amount. you should try to file a claim with the shipping company and/or US customs to get a refund. I know you can do that in Canada but not sure how it works down there
I did. Took me a long time but after speaking with about 5 different people within UPS' international department I was transferred to an "entry review" lady who made the change without issues.

DavidCreightonB

Reaction score
Geez - I forgot about that fee. I buy stuff direct from some manufacturers in Europe. I send them the harmonization codes and paperwork. Carriers like DHL contact me if they are any issues. I generally only pay the tariff plus a small fee. UPS pisses me off with their $100 to $150 fee over the 4% to 5% tariff I pay for ZB.

deez shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Geez - I forgot about that fee. I buy stuff direct from some manufacturers in Europe. I send them the harmonization codes and paperwork. Carriers like DHL contact me if they are any issues. I generally only pay the tariff plus a small fee. UPS pisses me off with their $100 to $150 fee over the 4% to 5% tariff I pay for ZB.
Wow! Even for my YF shoes at 10percent UPS was only charging me an additional 11usd in processing fees.

WhyUEarly

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven't been hit with duties when ordering directly from zonkey boot's website to Boston. I'm sure it's probably luck.

Thanks for sharing guys. The processing fee definitely sounds like a pain.

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Looks like everyone has answered your question, and I’ve had pretty much the same experience. For me, I’ve only received DHL shipping when using ZB’s website. And DHL, normally hits me with about $125-$150 in fees.

gmehra

Reaction score
Wow! Even for my YF shoes at 10percent UPS was only charging me an additional 11usd in processing fees.
good to hear it was only $11 USD. I got hit with $135 in just processing fees via UPS once but that was a ground shipment, I do remember them having different fees for ground vs air. value of the package was around $1100 USD

djdanniedee

Reaction score
There needs to be more love for Zonkeyboot. Here's my Wholecut derby in Russian Calf.

Attachments

• IMG_20190921_143852.jpg
    IMG_20190921_143852.jpg
    220.2 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_20190921_143836.jpg
    IMG_20190921_143836.jpg
    212 KB · Views: 207
  • IMG_20190921_143914.jpg
    IMG_20190921_143914.jpg
    264 KB · Views: 300

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads