• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Zombies - Odessey and Oracle

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I know there are a couple threads about music and I've mentioned it before, but I decided to spam to emphasize how much everyone should get this album right now. I've been listening to it obsessively the last few days and it just slams it out over and over again. Get it. Listen to it. Love it. Thanks.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

tlmusic

Reaction score
This is one of my favorite rock albums of all time!

An interesting thing is that it was recorded at Abbey Road Studio right after Sgt. Pepper's and Pink Floyd's Piper at the Gates of Dawn. The expermental techniques and sounds that the recording engineers picked up from working on the Beatles and Floyd were also used on the Zombies own relatively low budget album. Listen to the tack piano on "Care of Cell 44" and compare it to the piano tracks on Sgt. Pepper.

Experts can feel free to correct me, but I understand the Zombies wanted to use live orchestral backing (strings and horns), but their budget wouldn't allow for it. So they opted to use the newest high-tech substitute--the Mellotron. The Mellotron is an amazing instrument that has a bank of pre-recorded tapes for each key. Probably the first sampler. The Mellotron has a wicked eerie sound which adds greatly to O & O.

Johnny Amiga

Reaction score
Great thread, great record!

Odessey & The Oracle is EPIC. One of the best and most underrated records from the 60's.

Full Canvas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Zombies were the epitome of "cool" in pop music during the 1960s. I saw them live at the San Jose Civic Auditorium in 1966. Rod Argent is the true talent behind the Zombies in my opinion. That's him on the keyboards in the Time of the Season clip you embedded. He was classically trained to some degree in piano before forming the group.

After the Zombies "disbanded", he formed a new group, Argent. Later, he even recorded an album of classical piano pieces. He is also quite a talented music producer.

___

constantine.

Reaction score
this record is unstoppable. for some reason i listen to the kinks' "village green preservation society" afterwards.

Pennglock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's a classic, up there with anything the Beatles and Kinks did. Better than most Beatles and Kinks actually. It must be one of the most underrated albums of all time.

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1. There is absolutely something otherwordly about it. Any time I find myself distracted by some flavor-of-the-month indie pop outfit, I throw this record on. My soul is cleansed and the indie pop group receives the scorn they so richly deserve.

unicornwarrior

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Johnny Amiga
Great thread, great record!

Odessey & The Oracle is EPIC. One of the best and most underrated records from the 60's.

+1

The band as a whole is one of the most underrated bands, in relation to other's of the era. It is sad that they're really only known for "Time of the Season" when they had plenty of other great songs.

Reaction score
I am posting in this thread to declare my allegiance to this record. I will go home and listen to it today. To add to tlmusic's observation about the abbey road studio/sgt. pepper/oracle nexus, one must not leave out the Pretty Things' SF Sorrow concept album, also recorded at Abbey Road in 1967.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I'm going to get all the other stuff mentioned in this thread. Keep it coming. I posted about the Kinks' VGPS a while back but that's another excellent one with the same feel. Couple more clips

Guy Burgess

Reaction score
My favourite record from the 60s by far. Butchers Tale (Western Front 1914) is genius.

Reaction score
LOVE---Forever Changes
is a classic 60s record that is head and shoulders above the rest
but to be honest i am not sure what this thread is about anymore

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yep, awesome. Wish I had the vinyl version.

Pangolin

Reaction score
To go back to the Zombies, Colin Blunstone's first solo albums after the band disbanded are worth listening too. I think they were (at least partly) produced by Rod Argent.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads