• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Zero Dark Thirty

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's really amusing that so many people are getting their panties in a twist that the movie doesn't completely reflect reality. IT's a movie and I enjoyed it. I never for once thought every minute in the movie was meant to reflect everything that happened in real life.

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Yeah not sure what dah's beef is with the ending, by everything I read (Killing Bin Laden and No Easy Day) it seems to follow the narrative pretty closely. Only thing that seems out of line with the stories I've read (heard) is that the ride back from the compound was not without its tense moments...

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yeah not sure what dah's beef is with the ending, by everything I read (Killing Bin Laden and No Easy Day) it seems to follow the narrative pretty closely. Only thing that seems out of line with the stories I've read (heard) is that the ride back from the compound was not without its tense moments...

Definitely. There's a bit more ambiguity around the leadup to finding him, but once they found him, that narrative seems to be pretty well in the public domain, and the end of the movie almost *exactly* followed that.

I would have liked to have a seen a bit more of their prep for the raid, though I totally understand their reasons for not including it.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The movie really isn't about the seals that raided the compound... it's more about the people and methods used to connect the dots.

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The movie really isn't about the seals that raided the compound... it's more about the people and methods used to connect the dots.

Absolutely. The raid was really just the end product of the rest of the movie.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought the last 30 minutes were as equally unrealistic as the first 2.x hours of the movie. It's definitely a story worth telling -- why not do it right?

Howso? The raid was almost exactly what was stated happened in the only accounting we have of the raid yet, No Easy Day. It was also reasonably realistic as far as military tactics go. What wasn't realistic about it?

All the scenes with the special forces guys smacked of some Hollywood writer's imagining of them. I guess it's like nearly any film on a subject in which you have particular expertise -- the depictions are going to seem wooden and fake. What I thought was especially unrealistic was the amount of time the special forces team took to clear the entire compound. The shooting was over in minutes. The bulk of the ~30 minutes on the ground was spent gathering intel.

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
That's fair - they had to drag it out to drum up the drama (which I get for a Hollywood film). The clearing tactics were sound (albeit slow) and if we are to believe the account in No Easy Day - they followed the script fairly closely.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads