• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Zero-carb protein

blank

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I want to get a little smarter about my protein supplements. I lift 3-4 days a week, keep a great diet and in general live a very healthy lifestyle. Mostly compound exercises focusing on large muscle groups (presses, squats, etc,.).

I've been taking two scoops of Isopure whey after every workout. I typically buy whichever is on sale on Amazon, but I've had the low-carb chocolate and zero-carb cookies and cream (didn't like the taste too much). I need to make my next purchase and was thinking of getting this: http://www.amazon.com/Natures-Best-P...9445050&sr=8-5

It is the 'zero carb' kind, but I don't know what benefit or detriment that provides. I am focused on building muscle for at least three more months (very little cardio, lots of clean eating, lots of lifting) and want to build as much muscle as I can. I imagine I will lose much of it come the spring as I intend to train for a triathlon, but my goal is to be lean and muscular, not massive and bulky, so my plan of lifting and eating through the winter fits my lifestyle.

Help me become a little smarter about the supplements.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
the time for simple carbs is immediately following a workout, think 40-60 grams of simple carbs in the 5-30 mins after training.

you should eat a gram of protein per lb. of bodyweight, spread throughout the day.

for example, i weight 236lbs and have 6 meals a day with at least 40g protein per.

try green tea extract before each meal and space out @ 10000mg of fish oil through the day.

As far as classic bodybuilding supplements go, creatine is the only one (besides gh and roids) that has proved over time to be worth its salt.

i also take very high quality colustrum in liquid form that aids in fat loss.

Nil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you're trying to build muscle, I don't see why you're going for zero carb protein. Like kunk said, you should ingest simple carbs immediately after a workout for best results.

blank

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thekunk07
the time for simple carbs is immediately following a workout, think 40-60 grams of simple carbs in the 5-30 mins after training.

you should eat a gram of protein per lb. of bodyweight, spread throughout the day.

for example, i weight 236lbs and have 6 meals a day with at least 40g protein per.

try green tea extract before each meal and space out @ 10000mg of fish oil through the day.

As far as classic bodybuilding supplements go, creatine is the only one (besides gh and roids) that has proved over time to be worth its salt.

i also take very high quality colustrum in liquid form that aids in fat loss.

Thanks, I was hoping you would respond. I certainly eat a gram of protein per pound, spread throughout -- if not more. I take fish oil supplements (typically one in the morning and one at night) and get a lot of omega-3 in my diet with ground flaxseed and lots of tuna.

So, why do they sell zero-carb proteins? And your recommendation is that I buy one with carbs? This all sounds like I'm "carb counting" which I am not. I just want to get the right whey.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^

nothing wrong with zero-carb protein. better to add your own simple carbs rather than a lot of chemicals.

fmr. mr. olympia jay cutler's old recipe was taking two scoops of whey/cassein, a can of coke over ice.
trust me, when it comes to supplements, the less ingredients the better.

a good idea might be to add some dextrose to your protein shake.

kinda funny, but i've been doling out advice like crazy lately and am looking ******. looking really flat lately, trying to identify if it's a dietary issue.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^you can get it as a supplement in health food stores.

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^you can get it as a supplement in health food stores.

Do you do a Dextrose/maltodextrin combo, or just dextrose?

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
just dextrose but only for the reason that it's all i have at home.

lance konami

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blank
Help me become a little smarter about the supplements.

**** supplements. Get your protein from quality food sources. You'll get more than enough protein if done correctly.

*Take my advice with a grain of salt. I just think the supplement industry is basically a gigantic rip-off.

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
just dextrose but only for the reason that it's all i have at home.

Have you ever experienced a crash or anything? If I mess it up my blood sugar will drop right quick so I am going to grab some maltodextrin to add.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^ i agree in general, but there are a few decent companies out there whose tests meet label claims.

Gradstudent78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blank
Can I buy the same thing at a GNC? There are loads of those around and I'd prefer not to wait for shipping.

Don't know I don't usually shop at GNC, I'd suggest giving them a call.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads