1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Zen - BBC TV detective show

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by culverwood, Jan 4, 2011.

1. BC2012

BC2012 Senior member

ignorant in the sense that you claim BBC shows are superior because "lessened censorship allows for more freedom"... do you even watch shows on premium cable (HBO, Showtime, Starz, etc)? apparently not. i'm not disagreeing that british shows are superior- everyone is entitled to their own opinion on that one- but saying that censorship even plays a role in such a determination is a completely ignorant statement. there are a number of great shows out there with shocking, disturbing, graphic violent/sexual content (Spartacus B&S being a prime example, Dexter while much tamer in comparison is another) that simply refute your statement.

and back on topic, the pilot for this was actually pretty good, albeit a bit lengthy. I'll continue watching as Rufus Sewell is a big draw and the show has potential.

I guess I needed to be explicit that I was referring to network TV. Obviously, pay channel shows don't suffer from censorship. But thanks for jumping all over me instead of inferring that I was referring to non-pay shows.

2. ArteEtLabore14

ArteEtLabore14 Senior member

Of course not. Its a BBC show so they've got to have Brit actors.

In a British TV show, yes.

I was kidding, but I think it's funny.

3. ArteEtLabore14

and back on topic, the pilot for this was actually pretty good, albeit a bit lengthy. I'll continue watching as Rufus Sewell is a big draw and the show has potential.

All the episodes will be this long as they each cover one of Didbin's books.

Overall I think the show is pretty good, but I preferred the second episode over the first.

4. tricota

tricota Senior member

did a search on the torrent. The link is on page 1 but you need to register. Also I think it airs every sunday.

Ah, didn't know the air date. EZTV doesn't usually show up British TV so I had no idea it was out and available for download.

Yes thebox requires registration and you are required to keep up your share ratio, but if you are into British tv even a little bit, I really recomend it. It has pretty much everything from kids tv, to crime, drama, documentaries, tv-movies and even radio. It's brilliant...

5. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Episode 3 is up.

Anybody have an invite for that British TV site? Would be much obliged.

6. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Interesting episode. Odd that they ended it so quickly there at the end and I liked the promotion as a setup for the next season (baring a next season). The murder mystery was a bit boring though.

7. culverwood

culverwood Senior member

He does not seem like much of a detective from any of the episodes in the series. He just hangs around looking cool and everything falls into his lap: women, money, solutions....

8. ArteEtLabore14

He does not seem like much of a detective from any of the episodes in the series. He just hangs around looking cool and everything falls into his lap: women, money, solutions....

That's how it works in real life, didn't you know?

9. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement
    can anyone help out an old, technology-challenged man? i'd be happy to pay for dvd if someone could burn one.

10. ArteEtLabore14

11. bbaquiran

bbaquiran Senior member

I can't help but notice the consistent gap between Zen's shirt and suit collars.

12. Surly

Surly Member

I have yet to watch the first episode of Zen, but will definitely be doing so. I also prefer British TV shows (in general) to US. This might be because I grew up watching Dr. Who and Faulty Towers.

Sorry for the hijack, but can anyone recommend any British shows besides the following:

Spooks (favorite running show)
    Hustle
    Luther
    Being Human
    Robin Hood
    Top Gear
    An Idiot Abroad
    QI

Thanks

13. Reynard369

Reynard369 Senior member

I have yet to watch the first episode of Zen, but will definitely be doing so. I also prefer British TV shows (in general) to US. This might be because I grew up watching Dr. Who and Faulty Towers. Sorry for the hijack, but can anyone recommend any British shows besides the following: Spooks (favorite running show) Hustle Luther Being Human Robin Hood Top Gear An Idiot Abroad QI Thanks
    You enjoy Hustle? I watched a few episodes from the first series, but didn't particularly like them.

14. Surly

Surly Member

You enjoy Hustle? I watched a few episodes from the first series, but didn't particularly like them.
    It's OK but I don't think I would miss it if it were cancelled. I especially enjoyed the episodes with Marc Warren, but I find that it's becoming a little too repetitive. I think in terms of "con shows", Leverage has filled the that niche for me.

15. aphextwin07

aphextwin07 Senior member

just finished the first season last night and found it pretty enjoying overall. certainly flawed in many respects but the cinematography and locales in the show make up for any minor negatives. kind of wish there were more episodes, hopefully it will get picked up for a second season.

16. limping_decorum

limping_decorum Senior member

being aired on PBS on sundays......

17. Reynard369

Reynard369 Senior member

Unfortunate that it was not renewed for another series.

18. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement
    thanks to a very generous SFer, I had seen these before. But I've been watching the re-airings as well ... nice to have subtitles when youre old and deef. liking them even better!

19. tricota

tricota Senior member

Sadly no. But what the hell was with that bs reason to not renew it? To much male lead crime on tv...Jeez, we are drowning in female lead British tv right now...