1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Zen - BBC TV detective show

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by culverwood, Jan 4, 2011.

1. culverwood

culverwood Senior member

2. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

Will have to check availability on BBC America on demand. Need a new show for the winter.

3. BC2012

BC2012 Senior member

I'll take a look, too. I'm finishing up Season 2 of Being Human and just finished Season 2 of Misfits. BBC shows are superior to most American shows not only because of the dry wit but the lessened censorship allows for more freedom.

4. ArteEtLabore14

ArteEtLabore14 Senior member

I'll take a look, too. I'm finishing up Season 2 of Being Human and just finished Season 2 of Misfits. BBC shows are superior to most American shows not only because of the dry wit but the lessened censorship allows for more freedom.

Did you hear they're remaking Being Human for US television? Looks like everything is going to be exactly the same, but worse.

5. BC2012

BC2012 Senior member

Did you hear they're remaking Being Human for US television? Looks like everything is going to be exactly the same, but worse.

Crappier for sure. The vamp lead looks like he's right out of Twilight. "George" looks much less goofy than the character calls for. And the Nina character looks annoying as hell. Oh and the lack of cursing, violence, and nudity that plays in so well on the BBC version will be lost. Replaced with crappy SyFy effects.

I'm not sure Being Human could even be a successful port with the best actors and greater leeway on the language/violence. It's quirky and very British in what makes it funny (and the intermittent humor is what makes the show so great).

6. ArteEtLabore14

ArteEtLabore14 Senior member

Crappier for sure. The vamp lead looks like he's right out of Twilight. "George" looks much less goofy than the character calls for. And the Nina character looks annoying as hell. Oh and the lack of cursing, violence, and nudity that plays in so well on the BBC version will be lost. Replaced with crappy SyFy effects.

I'm not sure Being Human could even be a successful port with the best actors and greater leeway on the language/violence. It's quirky and very British in what makes it funny (and the intermittent humor is what makes the show so great).

Haven't seen season 2 yet, but I agree with everything you've said.

7. bbaquiran

bbaquiran Senior member

8. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Torrent on http://thebox.bz
    What is that site? It requires a login. Found it with the Pirates.

9. bbaquiran

bbaquiran Senior member

What is that site? It requires a login.

Sorry. It focuses exclusively on British TV shows.

10. Britalian

Britalian Senior member

It's a 3-part series (like Vexed). I hope they do the Back In Bologna book.

11. limping_decorum

limping_decorum Senior member

12. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement
    is that based on dibdin's aurelio zen? those were some really good books ... most of them. i'd love to see that.

13. *#..

*#.. Senior member

Hmm... might have to check this out.

14. L.R.

L.R. Senior member

British vs American tv is odd.

The very best shows, I find, are american. The Wire, Sopranos, etc. Yanks do drama the best.

But overall, British t.v. takes the cake. I think it's the 6 episode seasons (series?), which allows them to concentrate on pacing and writing, rather then 20+ mediocre episodes.

Plus, and I'm not the first to notice.... Brit shows tend to have actors who can act, rather than simply look pretty.

On a side note, Being Human is being remade as someone mentioned, but I'm more worried about the Skins remake. I really enjoyed the absurdity and fun of the first 2 seasons of it, and I can't see how it'd transfer to American hands.

15. millionaire75

millionaire75 Senior member

As a result of this thread, I took a look at the Zen series and picked up the first book. So far so good. Anyone have any idea when it will air in the US or am I better off just downloading?

16. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

Downloaded and watched the first episode last night. Had no idea it was 1.5hrs long so didn't shut my eyes til past 1 am. Anyway very good stuff.

17. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

Another reason why I will be watching this regularly [​IMG]

18. Jekyll

Jekyll Senior member

Haven't seen season 2 yet, but season 1 of Misfits was really good.

19. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

What's Misfits about?

The first episode of Zen was very very good. Excellent cinematography if you're interested in that sort of thing.

Anybody read the books? They worthwhile?

20. Britalian

Britalian Senior member

An easy read. Fairly evocative.
    The lady above was in one of the two recent Bond filums.