• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

zegna vs loro piana cashmere

Coral reef

Reaction score
I'm new on this forum...so here goes.

I recently, within the last few months, bought a Loro Piana baby cashmere sweater and a premium Zegna cashmere sweater; both v-necks.

The price of the Loro Piana baby cashmere is slightly more money. But from comparing the two, fit wise, to quality wise, I really see little to no difference.

Arguably, and this is my opinion, the Zegna is perhaps ever so slightly softer to the touch and ever so slightly more fitted. But again, it is very difficult to feel any difference between the two.

Both are absolutely outstanding and by far the very best sweaters I have ever worn.

Coral reef

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LanceW
How can Zegna have such great cashmere when the little babies only grow for Loro Piana?

According to the Zegna tag, which is about the product quality of the garment, the premium cashmere comes from inner Mongolia from the first shearing of the youngest goats.

Loro Piana's baby cashmere is from goats that are one years old and younger; I'm guessing there is little difference in quality between a few months of age.

Zegna might feel ever so slightly smoother and softer in some areas of the sweater; they're both buttery soft with little to no difference.

So, in my opinion, Zegna cashmere is by no means inferior to Loro Piana. They're the same.

Anyone else have both sweaters and would like to chine in?

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was under the opinion that LP had the best cashmere.

hha3838

Reaction score
+1
have read some positive feedback on LP as well as Alex Begg and Drumohr but not much on Zegna cashmere

Coral reef

Reaction score
Loro Piana cashmere is generally regarded as the most prestigious; their reputation is top notch. When I first purchased Loro Piana cashmere and baby cashmere garments, I never quite felt anything like it; it was the softest and most luxurious garments I have ever felt...until I bought a Zegna premium cashmere.

I have owned Zegna merino wool in the past and I have never felt any better merino wool garment in my life; beyond expectations. When I first thought about buying Zegna premium cashmere, I was not expecting it to be as good as Loro Piana, mostly due to reputation. However, I was surprised because Zegna premium cashmere is just as good as the LP baby cashmere.

I can honestly say that, having compared Loro Piana cashmere and wool garments in the store, with those of Zegna Premium cashmere, both companies provide equal or near equal quality.

This doesn't surprise me now since Zegna operates one of the largest wool textiles in the world, along with LP.

People who say Zegna cashmere is not as good are either mistaken or are speaking out of hearsay.

And when you consider Zegna is less expensive than LP, it is a great deal.

My recommendation: if you can afford it, buy LP and Zegna, along with Brunello Cucinelli, the very best knitwear.

Xenon

Reaction score
I bought a v-neck loro piana cashmere cardigan last winter and it is fairly soft but I suspect that the true difference in cashmere quality is more reflected in the worsted outer coat weight cashmere which is far more fiber intensive.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads