1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Zegna Suits - More Affordable Than You Think

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by ExecStyle, Apr 23, 2006.

1. tiger02

tiger02 Senior member

I tried to divert the thread away from, "how dare you insult Oxxford, my family's been wearing it for three generations," by inserting an interesting qualitative judgement. I failed, you win.

2. Tomasso

Tomasso Senior member

I don't know fellas. Why does everything try to be the finest or among the finest when in fact most of this stuff is somewhere in the middle? Zegna is in the middle of the finest scale. Oxxford is on the high end of the middle of the finest scale. So why not just be honest and call it a value suit?

You needn't worry about insulting me for wearing Oxxford, I was simply standing up for the quality of the garment , not the style. It was said that Oxxford was less than the best and that is not true.

3. johnapril

johnapril Senior member

You needn't worry about insulting me for wearing Oxxford, I was simply standing up for the quality of the garment , not the style. It was said that Oxxford was less than the best and that is not true.

Sounds like a satisfied customer.

4. Tomasso

Tomasso Senior member

Sounds like a satisfied customer.

Now you show up.

5. johnapril

johnapril Senior member

Now you show up.

You like it, the Natalie Imbruglia?

6. Tomasso

Tomasso Senior member

Splain this to me Lucy. "Oxxford is on the high end of the middle of the finest scale. The middle?

7. johnapril

johnapril Senior member

Splain this to me Lucy. "Oxxford is on the high end of the middle of the finest scale. The middle?

Oh kay, Ricky. Oxxford = left bar

[​IMG]

8. marc237

marc237 Senior member

I would place Oxxford in the middle of the high end of the scale.

9. johnapril

johnapril Senior member

I would place Oxxford in the middle of the high end of the scale.

Well, I couldn't get the confidence intervals in there on short notice.

10. Steve B.

Steve B. Senior member

Not in a couple of years and only been there once. But I liked it.

11. SGladwell

SGladwell Senior member

Who makes a higher quality suit than Oxxford
    Attolini, for one. Nobody's saying Oxxford doesn't make a top notch suit, but an Attolini is something else entirely. And speaking of quality, seven pages and nobody's mentioned the hideous lapel roll of the jackets this fellow's trying to con the un-knowledgable into thinking they're Zegnas: [​IMG] That's not a lapel roll. It looks like there's a piece of folded cardboard glued under it.

12. Tomasso

Tomasso Senior member

Attolini, for one. Nobody's saying Oxxford doesn't make a top notch suit, but an Attolini is something else entirely.

How so. Please elaborate. We are talking about handwork and quality of construction, right?

13. A Harris

A Harris Senior member Dubiously Honored

If you are basing this purely on the quality of the tailoring, amount of handwork, etc. then that's not correct. Oxxford would be the superior suit. If you are taking into account styling, feel, etc then the judgment might be different. But that is a much more subjective argument.

14. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

If you are basing this purely on the quality of the tailoring, amount of handwork, etc. then that's not correct. Oxxford would be the superior suit. If you are taking into account styling, feel, etc then the judgment might be different. But that is a much more subjective argument.

From what I know, Attolini does not hand pad like Oxxford does. Is that correct?

Apart from that, what is most important is how the darn thing looks, not how a suits lapels are padded.

15. A Harris

A Harris Senior member Dubiously Honored

Correct, Oxxford is the only RTW maker that I'm aware of that hand-pads lapels.

I agree with you totally though, cut should be the first thing one considers when buying a suit, not construction.

16. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

Correct, Oxxford is the only RTW maker that I'm aware of that hand-pads lapels.

I agree with you totally though, cut should be the first thing one considers when buying a suit, not construction.

One thing that I have noticed about Oxxford recently is that as they have re-expanded and gotten a bit more fashionable, their construction has suffered slightly. I have seen a number of suits recently where the padding stitches on the chest go below the roll of the lapel leaving a sort of sloppy look right around the roll. It is really only on lightweight fabrics where I have seen it, and is one of the reasons that I would say that as good as their tailoring is, the lighweight work is not their strength.

17. Tomasso

Tomasso Senior member

It is really only on lightweight fabrics where I have seen it, and is one of the reasons that I would say that as good as their tailoring is, the lighweight work is not their strength.

I have had years of experience with Oxxford MTM and I would agree with you that they don't do well with the lightweight fabrics. Of course many tailors have difficulty with the light stuff because it can't handle a lot of "needle". And Oxxford probably "over-needles" their goods.

18. Mysuit

Mysuit Member

Actually, I don't think this requires any moderation. You guys already did a pretty good job...

I visited a specialty store on LI earlier this month that really swore by Coppley, and they're supposed to do a very quick turnaround on MTM.

But they aren't Zegna, and to represent them as such is dishonest, and to post in this Forum rather than buying and selling is shilling, plain and simple.

We frown on all the above, plain and simple.

Coppley Apparel in Canada makes suits made from Zegna Fabrics and that's all they do. They come no where near to the original Zegna suits made by Zegna.

For People who like Zegna fabrics but cannot afford to pay Zegna prices could consider this, as along as they are not looking for the real Mccoy

Naresh

19. neyus

neyus Senior member

Im disappointed I was expecting Mantoni or Baroni and I got Manzoni

20. A Canuker

A Canuker Senior member

How did this thread get raised from the dead?