• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Zegna suit jack divots: Ebay steal or return/trash??

sacksem

Reaction score
First post here, long time lurker.. I recently bought four suits from a London seller, and mostly happy with the transaction except for the Zegna pictured below. The fronts of both shoulders show significant divoting. I read a bit about this and gather at one time it was considered stylish (?). None of the other quality suits I've obtained show this, so I'd like to get the boards opinion on this. Keep as is, tailor, or return/trash? Original ebay link here: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=180617639939 Thanks! Ethan PS No I don't wear baseball tees with suits in public!
smile.gif
a056c52b.jpg
588d2d87.jpg

stu00a

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First : This is not Zegna suit. The suit made with Zegna fabric, not Zegna brand.

Second : Shoulder doesn't fit.

Third : Burn it.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Return it to the seller as this is clearly not Ermenegildo Zegna.

emersonclocks

Reaction score
You should return it.
stu00a is right, it's made with Zegna cloth, but not by Zegna.
You probably paid a little more than you needed to.
There's a lot of details that supposedly define a good quality suit. Search the older threads to get some more info.
I am pretty sure you can return it because the item description wasn't accurate.
I think you are getting the divots because you have pretty large biceps and it's pushing the rest of the sleeve out, and there's some shoulder padding, and that's what's causing the shoulder to divot.

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, that suit is not Zegna made. But not being a Zegna does not mean it is a bad suit. Is it canvassed? Who made suit (check labels, it could be generic department store brand)?

You see a lot of this with Loro Piana as well - sellers listing item as Loro Piana when it was just made from their fabric. Lots of Zegna listed like this.

mktitsworth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I may ask, what/where are the divots?

Also, so that I can know in the future when looking myself, how can you tell it's not made by Zegna?

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mktitsworth
Also, so that I can know in the future when looking myself, how can you tell it's not made by Zegna?

Simple - look at the label or tag - if it says cloth by Zegna, you know it is not a Zegna made suit. If it were a suit made by Zegna, they would have no need to state cloth by Zegna. Never buy a suit online unless you see the label / tags.

Look at official Zegna tags. Older suits have a z with a circle around it and underneath it says Ermenegildo Zegna. Newer stuff just says ermenegildo zegna. I have also seen official Zegna with a big Z and then Zegna written through it on the label.

I don't really buy Zegna stuff, have just one jacket by them, so please note I do not speak with expertise
fing02[1].gif

mktitsworth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Klobber
Simple - look at the label or tag - if it says cloth by Zegna, you know it is not a Zegna made suit. If it were a suit made by Zegna, they would have no need to state cloth by Zegna. Never buy a suit online unless you see the label / tags.

Look at official Zegna tags. Older suits have a z with a circle around it and underneath it says Ermenegildo Zegna. Newer stuff just says ermenegildo zegna. I have also seen official Zegna with a big Z and then Zegna written through it on the label.

I don't really buy Zegna stuff, have just one jacket by them, so please note I do not speak with expertise
fing02[1].gif

AH. I was thinking they were doing it by looking at the fit and construction. I was being terribly noobish and not following the link.

saiyar1

Reaction score
Like someone else said, the jacket is just not cut for you. Your bicep is pulling the fabric, and the strong shoulder padding won't let the shoulder area contour around your natural shoulder. I'm guessing you have some strong shoulders on you... that doesn't mix well with strong, padded shoulder on the jacket.

If you thought this was a Zegna made jacket and bought accordingly, you should know it's just Zegna cloth. That's grounds enough to return it including shipping. The seller says if there's a misrepresentation/it's fake then he'll eat the cost. Either way, the shoulder isn't for you so go ahead and return.

sacksem

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick help guys! I'm returning for a full refund. Always a pain to return something, but better than wasting the $160.

greyinla

Reaction score
I have also seen official Zegna with a big Z and then Zegna written through it on the label.

That's likely Z-Zegna; authentic, but a diffusion line.

bringusingoodale

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think it matters much who or what "made" the suit so much as how it looks and fits.

Either way you are screwed because as some have noted, the shoulders seem a bit wide.

Oh and it is three button. Many on here do not look kindly on three button suits/jackets.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads