1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Zegna - Steal of the Year?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Lafont, Mar 4, 2011.

1. Lafont

Lafont Senior member

Last nite I purchased at a resale shop an Ermenegildo Zegna sport coat of 51% silk/49% cashmere (or the opposite?) - black or near black with subtle brown windowpane double or triple stripes. Soft as butter, excellent fit and condition. Rayon lining. Three-button, four on sleeves, notch lapels, side vents. Natural shoulders. Label says from Saks.

A tag sewed into a pocket gives details as to materials (in Italian) and cleaning instructions, but I see no size nor mention of where the jacket was made. Would these all be made in Italy?
    Could the no size imply bespoke? Where would they put a size?

Any ideas as to full retail value? Anyway, I just have to share this: store's price listed as $100 but they had a 76%-off sale so I got it for $24 plus tax!!!

I can try to post a photo but with my equipment it would just look like a black sport jacket.[​IMG]

2. Frank Davis

Frank Davis Well-Known Member

Last nite I purchased at a resale shop an Ermonegildo Zegna sport coat of 51% silk/49% cashmere (or the opposite?) - black or near black with subtle brown windowpane double or triple stripes. Soft as butter, excellent fit and condition. Rayon lining. Three-button, four on sleeves, notch lapels, side vents. Natural shoulders. Label says from Saks.

A tag sewed into a pocket gives details as to materials (in Italian) and cleaning instructions, but I see no size nor mention of where the jacket was made. Would these all be made in Italy?

Any ideas as to full retail value? Anyway, I just have to share this: store's price listed as $100 but they had a 76%-off sale so I got it for $24 plus tax!!!

I can try to post a photo but with my equipment it would just look like a black sport jacket.[​IMG]

Wow!!! that to me sounds like one hell of a good deal. At $24 why do you even bother to get more info. about the item. Isn't just that price alone speaks for itself?
    [​IMG]

3. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

what kind of a store does a 76% off sale?

PS - black with brown, 3 button, unknown age/history... that might be enough for some people to pass on it.

4. Kiwi Man

Kiwi Man Senior member

Wow!!! that to me sounds like one hell of a good deal. At $24 why do you even bother to get more info. about the item. Isn't just that price alone speaks for itself?
    [​IMG]

I don't even think the fake Zegna could even be priced that low.

If it is authentic, obviously, it is a steal!

5. Lafont

Lafont Senior member

This shop, connected with our Hospice of the Western Reserve, runs very good sales on clothing frequently. I don't believe it's usually over 50% off, though.

6. btinl

btinl Senior member

A resale shop is a thrift shop? Seems a little high for a thrift shop.

7. Nicola

Nicola Senior member

A:

Might be made in Italy or Swiss.

Size should be on the pocket label.

If it was MTM then normally there should be a su misura label. Even su misura that isn't picked up usually has a size.

Used? Value is the price you paid [​IMG] The Zegna outlet during the sales can have jackets for less then €100 during the sales. Even a 100% cashmere Couture brand new won't be much more then 200

8. Lafont

Lafont Senior member

btinl - I consider this store a thrift shop. I use "resale" and "thrift" interchangeably. Orig. $100 price high end for the store, yes.
    No, I don't at all go along with the value of an article of clothing is the price one pays for it. Cheesh!....[​IMG]

9. Lafont

Lafont Senior member

What in heaven's name is "su misura?"

10. davesmith

davesmith Senior member Affiliate Vendor

A resale shop is a thrift shop? Seems a little high for a thrift shop.

that's nothing, i've seen suits in thrift shops for $300+

11. Nicola

Nicola Senior member

What in heaven's name is "su misura?"

MTM

12. Lafont

Lafont Senior member

Enough with the acronyms, please. Okay - I see it's made to measure. Are you saying the size should be on the "Ermenegildo Zegna" label?
    I certainly have no reason to believe there's anything fake about this luxurious coat, anyway.[​IMG]

13. Nicola

Nicola Senior member

In one of the inside jacket pockets there should be a large label.

It'll have the size. Material code. Cut. Drop. If it was a jacket or part of a suit. A bunch of other info that I guess is only useful to the company.

14. Nicola

Nicola Senior member

Might be better to call it a large tag then a label.

15. Cant kill da Rooster

Cant kill da Rooster Senior member

without pics it's pretty tough for people to help you. There are a lot of experts here who could tell you but you need to give more info other than it's subtle brown...etc.

16. TRINI

TRINI Senior member

17. Lafont

Lafont Senior member

I may, even though I don't have the greatest camera for clothing detail.[​IMG]

18. TheWGP

TheWGP Senior member

I know the shop you're talking about... been there many times. Yeah, his description is accurate - it's an odd little place with very, very varied pricing. Very variable quality too. I saw a Brioni suit there once - only one I've ever seen in real life - that sat in the sun-drenched window for months. The kicker? there was a home-sewn rip in the seat of the pants. And they wanted $500 for it.

Nice enough shop, though - nice folks and a great cause. Just gotta be careful and patient with the tons of old Land's End shirts for $20 they carry. Also, if I were you I'd edit your post to make it less clear where the place is, though it's pretty much an obvious one anyway.

As far as this jacket - get the pics up and people can help you, obviously. The age can be somewhat determined by that and the inner label/labels, & inside pocket tag.

19. Lafont

Lafont Senior member

The WGP - No, I wouldn't do that. I don't go to that store all that often and, as far as I'm concerned, it's first come, first serve for the great bargains. Can't rationalize even purchasing great prices much of the time, either, though my basic practice is to purchase the higher-end type of clothing but at reduced prices - new or old. Someone at Sak's Beachwood told me they had the Zegna silk-cashmere blends, but we couldn't find any there today. Shame on those salespeople giving misleading information on the phone!!! Nordstrom's no Z, nor Dillards (I didn't ask but I don't think even the Beachwood Dillard's is up to EZ). The men's store could order some but not exactly this fabric. That might only leave Kilgour Trout in town - can't say for sure. They said they could get similar,

20. TheWGP

TheWGP Senior member

The Beachwood Dillards carries mainline Hickey Freeman, and that's as high as they go. Nordies... not much better, honestly. The Saks up there is at least better than the abysmal one here in Columbus, where the nicest thing in the men's department is RLBL and *nothing* whatsoever high-end makes an appearance. They're a running joke down here. [​IMG] You want to check out Kilgore Trout, but also Cuffs out in Chagrin Falls and Adesso out towards Rocky River. Cuffs is something else, not what you'd expect to find in the midwest at all. Take your wife when the weather's nice and make an afternoon of it - they've got a nice little downtown square in Chagrin Falls.