• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Zegna Questions: Overall Opinion, Taxonomy of Labels

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It seems like Zegna is better regarded on SF than other big labels - is that the case? Personally I find some of their jackets a little over-constructed in the shoulders, but my experience is somewhat limited. Also, what is the taxonomy of their labels? Z Zegna is significantly lower quality than the main label, yes? Zegna Trofeo has something to do with some fabric competition they hold? Zegna Su Misura just means made to measure (trying to translate loosely from the Italian)? Or is it a higher level of craftsmanship than your standard Zegna suit? Thanks in advance!

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is a whole thread covering the labels.

Trofeo is an award winning wool. The cloth made from that becomes Trofeo cloth.

Su Misura is MTM.

nich

Reaction score
A quick search would tell you all you need and more about zegna lines.

Quick Sum-up:
Couture (Formerly Naopoli): Best zegna has to offer. Very rare to see a couture suits on the internet as they are very high quality as far as zegna is concerned. Amazing fabrics and lots of hand stitching. There is an article floating around where someone deconstructed a zegna couture suit.

Mainline Zegna: Fully canvased. Considered good quality among most SF'ers. Generally accepted as the more conservative of the zegna lines. Fabrics in these suits range from decent to great. Overall very pricy for its quality.

Zegna Su Misura: MTM zegna suits. This is done by appointment not via the internet. The quality of these suits varies greatly as they are mtm. The price is about a 20% markup from mainline.

Z zegna: The fasion forward line. These suits are fused and are typically don't have amazing construction. The fabrics of these suits range from terrible to ok. The main draws to this line are the brand name, the trendy cuts, and the OTR fit. This line is not worth retail. Go to NM and find some for $300 with a good sale.

Trofeo, Trofeo Silk, Trofeo summer, 14 mill 14, 15 mill 15
These are all fabric lines that Zegna makes. 15 mill 15 is the highest quality fabric line that zegna makes. On the tag of each zegna suit, there is a letter or number marking the rated quality of the particular fabric. The old suits ranged A-Z. Now it is a number system instead. The key thing to know about this is that zenga sells this fabric to other designers and producers. It is very easy to get fooled on ebay by someone selling "Zegna Trofeo" when that is the fabric not the designer. When you see the label, you will see cloth somewhere on it if it isn't a true zenga suit. I have seen these fakes in NM and Filene's Basement before.

Another way to spot a fake Zegna. When you look at a close up of the tag, you will notice that the E in Ermenegildo and the g in Zegna are not block letters. You should see the top and bottom of the E extending to the left and a line coming off the top of the g.

__PG__

Reaction score
When looking at mainline Zegna, note that they will have a few diferent models or 'blocks'. The Roma model has a stronger shoulder and it fits me like a box (i.e. not at all). The Milano model has a softer shoulder and is much slimmer through the body (and fits me very well).

This is the tag for the current mainline Milano model (or FIT MILA.)

ZegnaNavySilk-7.jpg

This is the tag for the current mainline Roma model (or FIT ROM.)

ZegnaGrayBlue10.jpg

The fit of these two suits is needless to say, chalk and cheese so be careful when you talk about the fit or construction of a 'Zegna' suit as it can vary greatly depending on what model you are looking at.

Re: the Trofeo fabric. I thrifted an old Zegna Trofeo suit earlier this year. Judging by the lable and the cut/style of the suit...it would be at least five years old. The fabric is amazing and is in amazing condition, as judging by other parts of the suit it was worn quite often.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads