• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Zegna:Overpriced?

slaavwmr

Reaction score
So, As I continue on my quest to buy I have a question about Zegna.

What suits are comparable to it? The salesman, Niemans, Saks, Barneys, always say since Zegna is a cloth company you are getting a suit worth more than its retail price? Is this true?
Other people say you are paying extra because it is Zegna.

Do they compare to Canali/Corneliani or do you go up to say an Isaiah.

Buster

Reaction score
PTI, somewaht off topic: according to an Ad in the NYtimes, they have a sale of 40% in their NY store.

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I absolutely place Zegna above Canali and Corneliani. Some of my favorite dress slacks are from Zegna

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Zegna is a marketing machine, and it churns out the clothing, and yet it churns out some great clothing (something of nearly everything).

MilanoStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would not pay Ermenegildo Zegna H grade or lower fabric suits (most of RTW ones) more than $500US.

I would not pay Napoli XXX suits more than $800US.

I think Canali and Ermenegildo Zegna are about the same in terms of hand works, which most of the suits are made by a machine.

But Zegna canvas is softer and has higher armhole than Canali.

I say both suits are over priced (anything for that matter) at retail level. But both suits are very well tailored suits indeed.

PHV

Reaction score
I would not pay Ermenegildo Zegna H grade or lower fabric suits (most of RTW ones) more than $500US.

I would not pay Napoli XXX suits more than $800US.

I think Canali and Ermenegildo Zegna are about the same in terms of hand works, which most of the suits are made by a machine.

But Zegna canvas is softer and has higher armhole than Canali.  

I say both suits are over priced (anything for that matter) at retail level.  But both suits are very well tailored suits indeed.
Is there any reason that Zegna has higher armholes than Canali?

Maybe that would make it easier to play violin in a Zegna jacket.

MilanoStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
PHV,

I did not measure size of the armholes, but I can feel that Zegna's armholes are tighter than Canali's.

alchimiste

Reaction score
What about Zegna fabric? Is it overpriced?

alchimiste

Reaction score
Which brands are not then?

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Vitale Barberis (better than Loro Piana IMO, at about 2/3 the price)

Any 2x2 ply fabric that is priced in the ballpark of Zegna.
The question wasn't whether Zegna makes good fabric -- their fabric is buttery smooth, their 15 mil 15 especially; and they have some interesting patterns. But, and correct me if I'm wrong, they use a 3 ply yarn. But the price is the same, if not more, than some of the best four ply makers on the planet (such as Holland and Sherry).

MilanoStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My Zegna 15 mil sportcoat has combination of 3 ply and 2 ply.
.. I think ..

naturlaut

Reaction score
Brand names are always overpriced at their regular retail price, as a large percentage of the price goes to the glamour of the brand name: advertising, palazzo-style boutiques, hordes of salesmen, etc..

However, for its quality, Zegna's top line suits, Napoli Couture or Couture, is a good bargain as the workmanship can almost compared with names like Brioni or Kiton but about 30% less in price (assuming $5000 for Kiton, Zegna NC retails around $3500). Shirts I wouldn't recommend unless you're getting a sharp discount.

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shirts I wouldn't recommend unless you're getting a sharp discount.
I don't own any Zegna suits so I won't comment on them but I agree completely with the shirts. Too overpriced for the quality you get. I only ever bought them at a low price. I actually prefer Armani Collezioni shirts over Zegna shirts.

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I actually prefer Armani Collezioni shirts over Zegna shirts.
Do ACs fit closer to the body?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads