1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Zegna "MTM" experience

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by NBankston, Mar 30, 2005.

1. uppercase

uppercase Senior member

If you're not happy, take it back.
    You'll either get your money back, an offer to make new suit or, if only minor alterations are needed to make you 100% happy, they will also do that.
    My first Zegna MTM was all wrong and they made me a completely new one.
    The new one was just right, much, much better than the first try.
    They want a satisfied customer.

2. johnapril

johnapril Senior member

That's totally screwed up.  I'd return it and get your money back.

If they refuse to set things right, I'll stop doing business with them.

3. NBankston

NBankston Member

I appreciate the moral support.  I will let you know how things turn out.

4. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

That is completely unacceptable. There is no size tag on a MTM garment.

5. johnapril

johnapril Senior member

Well, that's not exactly true.

6. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

Originally Posted by zjpj83,Mar. 31 2005,11:37
    That is completely unacceptable. There is no size tag on a MTM garment.
    Well, that's not exactly true.
    Edit: I have never seen a size tag on any MTM garment that I have ever owned.

7. johnnynorman3

johnnynorman3 Senior member

I have an Oxxford MTM (MTM for someone else who opted not to pick it up, I gather. Luckily had almost precisely my own body measurements.). It had a size tag in it. Don't know if this is normal or not.

8. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

I guess it varies from maker to maker, though I fail to see why a MTM garment should have a size tag (since what it really should read is "size 41.5")

Can anyone who has Zegna MTM comment on Zegna specifically.

9. mxb95

mxb95 Active Member

I don't believe any of my Zegna MTM suits have sizes marked in them, but I will confirm this evening.

10. newyorker

newyorker Senior member

Agreed. And that is a subtle allure of MTM/bespoke. Rich people never have size tags on their clothes, indeed they should not know their size [​IMG] If you walk into a closet filled with clothes without size tags, you should get a very clear message. I'm not rich but still, I don't have size tags on my business shirts and business slacks. So many my theory is screwed up.

11. uppercase

uppercase Senior member

There ARE size tags in Zegna MTM.
    Mine says "50".
    But I am absolutely sure that my suit is fully MTM.
    You must have been measured and you must have seen the "measurement" sheet that the tailor filled out when you were measured.
    Those numbers are entered into a computer at the Zegna factory and the material is cut by computer to those exact measurements.
    Forget the tag.
    Further, the coat and trousers could have come seperately for any number of logistic reasons.
    I don't expect that Zegna would cheat you.
    Again, if you're not happy, take it back.

12. Fritz

Fritz Senior member

I have two Zegna MTM trousers, and they also have size tags. However, since the differences from the RTW sizing model that I requested could not have done by an alterations tailor, I am also very sure that they haven't given me altered RTW.

The difference between my trousers and RTW is beyond my abilities to put into words, sorry. It has something to do with the fact that the RTW trousers didn't fall in a straight line on the back side.

13. jcusey

jcusey Senior member Dubiously Honored

Just piling on, but I've had MTM from Zegna, Hickey Freeman, Polo, Oxxford, and Luciano Barbera, and all of them have had size tags.

14. Fritz

Fritz Senior member

I just wanted to add: if Chicago Zegna is like Düsseldorf Zegna, you shouldn't have any problem getting this rectified. When I ordered my first pair of trousers, I was a walk-in, they didn't know me. Yet they wanted no down-payment, not even a signature on an order-form. They only asked for a phone number to call when the trousers were ready. A single garment means nothing to them. What they want is a repeat customer.

It is worth some effort to them to get your pattern down properly, because once they have made you a suit you like you have a strong incentive to go back. If you order one suit per year for the next ten years, one scrapped suit is no problem at all, and they are smart enough to know it (other retailers sometimes aren't, though).

15. uppercase

uppercase Senior member

Just piling on, but I've had MTM from Zegna, Hickey Freeman, Polo, Oxxford, and Luciano Barbera, and all of them have had size tags.

16. jcusey

jcusey Senior member Dubiously Honored

I've only done trousers from them. The fabrics are great (Carlo Barbera, you know) and often extremely interesting. The make of the trousers is good but not superlative.

17. naturlaut

naturlaut Senior member

If it's MTM, then there should be a size tag. Full bespoke, obviously, will not have a size tag. Same goes for shoes.