1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Zegna Labels ID's for eBay purchasers (Graphic Intensive)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by clintonf, Apr 26, 2008.

1. clintonf

clintonf Senior member

Great work! Very interesting! Thanks very much for putting this together... [​IMG]

I'm glad that this thread has been of value. Many thanks.

One quick addition on fabric ranges as shown on fabric tags.

Beginning with the current winter 2007-08 line, Zegna is now using a numeric code rather than alpha. I have a Traveler Micronsphere suit which is labeled a fabric range 3 and I noted this as well this past week when looking at the new spring/summer line at NM.

Very interesting news, thank you. Do you have any idea the spread of the range numeric code? Anything like Oxxford (from 1 to 6)?

Cheers

Clint

2. playdohh22

playdohh22 Senior member

Good work Clint !

You should had posted this earlier, I've recently purchased a dated zegna jacket off eBay. Probably would have not, if I saw this. But thanks for the information anyway, hope it will come in handy in the future.

3. clintonf

clintonf Senior member

Good work Clint !

You should had posted this earlier, I've recently purchased a dated zegna jacket off eBay. Probably would have not, if I saw this. But thanks for the information anyway, hope it will come in handy in the future.

Thank you and sorry to hear. I have been thinking about doing something like this for a while, but I wasn't sure how comprehensive my knowledge about Zegna was. However, I was becoming saddened to see the proliferation of Old Zegna items being described as current season with the price from a current equivalent.

I sincerely hopes that this can be of use for the next Zegna you purchase.

Cheers

Clint

4. Steven Aver

Steven Aver Senior member

Very informative thread, thanks

5. rnoldh

rnoldh Senior member

Good thread. Seek and ye shall find!

Here is a Zegna label from a recent Dunhill suit, Made in Italy for Dunhill by Zegna.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Note the fabric code "P", and how the label differs from the other Zegna labels

6. nsoltz

nsoltz Senior member

Not entirely certain of the total numeric range of current Zegna line. Not really in the market to buy now so just gawk when walking through NM.

If I can find any more details, I'll post.

7. A Harris

A Harris Senior member Dubiously Honored

I'm pretty sure label #15 is newer than #'s 13 and 14. #8 is found on older casual stuff, mostly outerwear. Re. the new contact label, I was under the impression that it doesn't quite go back 5 yrs, more like 2-3, but I could be mistaken.

8. Zegnamtl

Zegnamtl Senior member

The current fabric tag is older than 2 or three years, but by how much I could not be certain. When did they do the big re-branding and launch Z-Zegna?

Seems like the end of 2003 or maybe spring 2004??

9. AcuraNSX

AcuraNSX Active Member

10. clintonf

clintonf Senior member

I'm pretty sure label #15 is newer than #'s 13 and 14. #8 is found on older casual stuff, mostly outerwear. Re. the new contact label, I was under the impression that it doesn't quite go back 5 yrs, more like 2-3, but I could be mistaken.

Hi, I'm not sure about the order of the labels that you mentioned. If you would like for me to change the order, then I'd gladly change it. If you could just confirm the order again.

Thanks

11. clintonf

clintonf Senior member

AcuraNSX, you're very welcome.

Can anyone provide any date ranges for the labels, that way we could instantly know approximately how old an item is, simply by the label.

Ta

12. Zubberah

Zubberah Senior member

Good thread. Seek and ye shall find!

Here is a Zegna label from a recent Dunhill suit, Made in Italy for Dunhill by Zegna.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Note the fabric code "P", and how the label differs from the other Zegna labels

Same labels in the pre-Donatella Gianni Versace Couture label (made by Zefna...usually with Zegna-subsidiary InCo sPa typewritten on bottom left of tag)

13. mplehmann

mplehmann New Member

I have a question. One of the Ebay guides states:

"How to spot a fake Zegna Suit:

"Much like spotting fake cuban cigars, much of the detective work lies in the tag:...The real Zegna has extensions to the left of the 'E' in Ermenegildo...the fake does not and is block or square looking..."

In your view, is this true or not? I notice some of the tags pictured do have the blocky-looking "E."

14. Zegnamtl

Zegnamtl Senior member

How to spot a fake Zegna Suit.........

The best method is ask for a picture of the fabric tag in the pocket, somewhat like a fingerprint if you will, rarely faked well!!

Years ago, a former forum member with an E bay store and I went through this with Hugo Boss fabric tags after someone accused him of selling fake Boss (he was not).
    The fabric tags told the whole story and is, I believe, the best place to look first.

Clint,
    you should lift the other images posted here, add them to your original post and ask that it be placed in the wiki.
    Z

15. nsoltz

nsoltz Senior member

Another way of spotting a fake Zegna suit by the tag is the phrase "Boutique Ermengildo Zegna" in the larger space at bottom of tag. This is the style tag of all the suits from the largest seller of counterfeit Zegna's on eBay-- an outfit that alternates between several ID's and advertises every suit as Su Misura. The fake Chinese suits have a totally bogus label with stiching around the label and emblazened "Ermenegildo Zegna Paris."

16. clintonf

clintonf Senior member

The best method is ask for a picture of the fabric tag in the pocket, somewhat like a fingerprint if you will, rarely faked well!!

Years ago, a former forum member with an E bay store and I went through this with Hugo Boss fabric tags after someone accused him of selling fake Boss (he was not).
    The fabric tags told the whole story and is, I believe, the best place to look first.

Clint,
    you should lift the other images posted here, add them to your original post and ask that it be placed in the wiki.
    Z

Z, Thanks for the advice. I'll sort it out on Friday probably and see whether I can get some better pictures.

Cheers

Clint

17. rodedidi

rodedidi Member

I came across another label recently that looks like label #4 but instead of Summer Trofeo it only says Trofeo, and in the left box where the family line is stated it only says Z instead of ZZ, EZ or EC.
    Is this suit a fake?

18. clintonf

clintonf Senior member

I came across another label recently that looks like label #4 but instead of Summer Trofeo it only says Trofeo, and in the left box where the family line is stated it only says Z instead of ZZ, EZ or EC.
    Is this suit a fake?

Could you please take a photo of the labels?

Thanks

Clint

19. rodedidi

rodedidi Member

20. CoolBreeze

CoolBreeze Member

Is this suit a fake?

Hi Rodedidi,

MAybe I can help here.

Trofeo is an authentic Zegna fabric. It's the company's 17-micron superfine wool. Summer Trofeo, on the other hand, is a mixture of Trofeo wool and mohair.

From what little I know, the authentic Trofeo-based lines are:

1) Trofeo
    2) Trofeo Silk (Wool / silk)
    3) Summer Trofeo (Wool / Mohair)
    4) Trofeo Cashmere (Wool / Cashmere)

Regards,
    Cool Breeze[​IMG]