• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Zegna Labels ID's for eBay purchasers (Graphic Intensive)

dreamspace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm glad I saw this thread I went back to an ebay suit search and I see some of them have an older logo.

It looks like ebay is the perfect place to unload old stock on unsuspecting buyers. If you're getting a discount how much does age play a factor? IE how bad is a 5 year old suit?

Depends on the condition. I've seen 20 year old "New old stock" Zegna suits on Ebay, with tags and everything on.
The only thing that has changed through the years, has been the styling, so keep that in mind. I've owned most everything by Zegna from the past 20 years, so here's my experience:

90's suits = Wider and more padded shoulders, high-rise trousers, deep pleats, lower button-stance, sometimes unvented
Early 2000's = Wide and aggressive shoulders, longer jackets. Trousers have double pleats, higher waist, and a bit more baggy in fit. Some "hard 3-button" suits too, i.e the lapel doesn't roll at all.
Mid to late 2000's = More relaxed fits, shoulders more narrow and softer (even for the Roma), shorter jackets. Flat front trousers or single-pleat trouser, classic to slim fit.
Early 2010's to Today = Modern fitting suits. Softer shoulders, shorter jackets, slim trouser. May have to go up a size, compared to the older models.

I wouldn't take the labels as a hard fact on how the suits fit, as some are transition models between the labels. I've seen early 00's suits that could go for something they released 10 years later. Also, there's lots of variance on the Zegna fit Roma IMO. I've owned Roma suits that had extremely square and hard shoulders, but I've also owned Roma suits that had almost as soft shoulders as fit Mila...YMMW.

Today you have the Fit. Torino, Fit. Milano, the "Easy" varians of those, and the Couture.
Older models you'll find on Ebay: Roma, Sav(ile), Roma Cardigan, Couture, City (Z Zegna, though I've seen Mainline zegna in this fit too), and probably some other I've forgotten about.

lawsuit

Reaction score
Thx dreamspace thats a helpful summation of the recent styles. Seems like BB is a less trendy brand but that can also be seen as a negative being conservative.

Last edited:

dreamspace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thx dreamspace thats a helpful summation of the recent styles. Seems like BB is a less trendy brand but that can also be seen as a negative being conservative.

Brooks Brothers has been very consistent with their cuts IMO, especially for their best sellers. I've owned various models, and they've been pretty much identical over the years. Especially the Madison suit seems to have been untouched for 15 years now.

It's only only the very late 80's and 90's stuff that looks outdated IMO, as they fell victim to lower gorge and lower button stance, and wider shoulders. early 80's/70's/60's will all look very much alike. Single vented 2 or 3-roll-2 button sack suits

Quesjac

Reaction score
Does anyone have knowledge of the white label mainline stuff? So far I've gleaned that it begins around 2008-2010, and that it's unstructured and (sometimes?) unlined. Does anyone know about the construction, the models etc? I think it is associated with the "easy" fit variants, but I don't own any of those so no hands on experience.

This is the label I'm referring to:

Merc26

Reaction score
Help Sought

newbie member, but longtime lurker here, working on associating dates with Zegna's fabric manufacturing tags.
looking for corrections to my work as needed as i am just starting to learn. i would graciously and unpretentiously appreciate your input and feedback; in fact i'm soliciting it.

i'm trying to educate myself about Zegna suits and jackets before i attempt to purchase one. i've purchased blazers and sport jackets from eBay before with good luck, but not a Zegna. i'm a graduate student and will need to purchase a suit in the next year or so; i don't want to get caught paying through the nose for a 15 year old suit!

Thank You in advance for your kind and thoughtful consideration and help.

ZEGNA MANUFACTURING TAGS

2012 to current

mid 2000s to 2012

mid 1990s to early 2000s

early 1990s and late 1980s (not sure about this one)

i didn't go any older as these tags represent 99% of the tags that are on eBay

dreamspace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Could be. The Torrino model was successor, but it's very slim, with a drop 8. Nice cut IMO, but it's a bit too youthful for me now. Has quite slim lapels, and the trouser rise is/was also quite low. Very roped shoulders. All in all, it looked like a very modernized and slim cut of fit Roma.

Everything on the Manhattan cut seems to be a bit more conservative: Wider lapels, higher rise trousers w/pleats. I think the stand-out part is the ticket pocket...AFAIK, this is the first stock model from Zegna that comes with ticket pockets. Only seen that on MTM models before.

dreamspace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Quesjac

Reaction score
And lastly, sorry to spam you guys, seems like they've renamed their Couture XXX line with "Ermenegildo Zegna Premium". Pretty exciting year as far as Zegna products go! One observation I did (while browsing both US and IT sites) was that Zegna suits are much cheaper in Italy, than in the US. Around $1000 cheaper.

https://www.zegna.us/us-en/ready-to-wear/product.navy-blue-trofeo-suit.9941412.html#
Yes, I have seen this one in the Zegna Roma store. On the rack they had a nice handmade lapel buttonhole and unfinished sleeves. Presumably plenty of internal handwork too.

calypso

Reaction score
Does anyone have a guess about how old this is?
I bought it 10 minutes ago on Ebay, so I have not seen the labels in the inner pockets. a 10 year old Roma perhaps?
149$ seemed like a good deal.

Zegna 2.jpg
Zegna.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads