1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Zegna Labels ID's for eBay purchasers (Graphic Intensive)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by clintonf, Apr 26, 2008.

1. Hawkoath

Hawkoath Member

Anyone ever come across this Zegna label?

[​IMG]

2. A Guy from Shanghai

A Guy from Shanghai Senior member

3. Portabiti

Portabiti Well-Known Member

Can anyone tell me how old this coat is? I know that the Roma suit fit was discontinued - does this also apply for coats? Thank you very much.

[​IMG]

4. Quesjac

Quesjac Senior member

Looks like a very old Zegna fabric tag (ie. not a Zegna jacket but made with their cloth).

Compare the seal:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
  5. dreamspace

dreamspace Senior member

Well, from the tag we can see that it was made for store sin Germany. Further, Mantel means "coat" in German, so this is indeed a sport coat. 100% of my Zegna suit jackets say "suit" on the tag, while the few sport coats I have say "coat".

That fabric tag was introduced in the early 00's, and discontinued around 2015 IIRC...The fit Roma again was discontinued a year or two before that, when it was replaced with fit torino.

Could you post a picture of the Zegna label?

6. samsandy082

samsandy082 New Member

Hello everyone.. I recently joined this forum to ask about a Zegna suit i received as a gift from my cousin as it is too small for him since he gained a lot of weight.. well so its my gain... The fabric says "Trofeo" and it is a Full Canvas Suit .. Made in SPain I am posting the pictures along with the tag labels.. If anyone could tell me how old is this suit and the quality of it. I would really appreciate it. Thanks in advance. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. dreamspace

dreamspace Senior member

Around 5 years old I'd guess.

8. samsandy082

samsandy082 New Member

Hello.. Thanks for getting back to me.. How do you figure out the age... Is there any particular # you check.. Also how is the Trofeo wool quality.. I have also heard that Zegna grades fabric by alphabets... How to check for that ? Thanks in advance..

9. Wayward

Wayward Senior member

I'll have to say it's actually older than 5 years. While Zegna changed its fabric tag from yours to the new one in 2012, the Roma was discontinued around 2009. If the pants are flat front, then I'd say the suit is closer to 2009, but still older than 5 years.

IIRC Trofeo 600 is their top line of fabrics, based on a competition they hold/used to hold?. I think a Trofeo designation makes it below that, but still above base.

10. Quesjac

Quesjac Senior member

I'd be interested to know if you or anyone else knows anything about the dates or quality of any of the other Zegna 'brand name' fabrics, eg. cashgora, silkskin, micronsphere, etc.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2017
  11. dreamspace

dreamspace Senior member

They have quite a range of fabrics.

Trofeo is their "nice" range or regular wool fabrics. The 600 just means that it's a wool / silk mix. 85% wool, 15% silk.

http://www.zegnagroup.com/lanificio/tessuti/elenco
    https://www.zegna.com/ww-en/editorial/made-to-measure/luxury-fabrics.html

Their absolutely finest fabric would be 12 milmil 12, Vicuna or Vellus Aureum. But those are only available through their MTM. I've personally never seen those in person, but I guess they have quite an outrageous price tag attached to them.

I'm personally very happy with the Trofeo fabrics. I have suits in high-end Loro Piana, Holland and Sherry, Scabal, and such fabrics. It's just as nice as those (in the same price range).

12. dreamspace

dreamspace Senior member

I don't have any lists, but here's from their website: http://www.zegnagroup.com/zegna_timeline#/timeline/

Some cool facts, and some dates to different fabric launches.

13. Quesjac

Quesjac Senior member

Great, the timeline is very informative. Silkskin is 2005, Micronsphere 2004 and Cashco 1995.

14. dreamspace

dreamspace Senior member

Here's a list i compiled from their website:

1964: Launch of the 18 milmil 18 and 17 milmil 17
    1965: Launch of the Trofeo fabric
    1968: Launch of the Parioli fabric
    1969: Launch of the Tindari and Palinuro fabrics
    1971: Launch of the Zen fabric
    1985: Launch of the High Performance fabric
    1986: Launch of the Inner Mongolia Cashmere fabric
    1989: Launch of the Trophy Winners fabric
    1992: Launch of the Cashmere Double fabric
    1992: Launch of the 15 milmil 15 fabric
    1993: Launch of the Cashco fabric
    1995: Launch of the Cashmere Comfort fabric
    1998: Launch of the Traveller fabric
    1999: Launch of the 13 milmil 13 fabric
    2001: Launch of the Heritage fabric
    2004: Launch of the Shetlair fabric
    2004: Launch of the Microsphere fabric
    2005: Launch of the Silk Skin fabric
    2007: Launch of the Oasi Cashmere fabric
    2007: Launch of the High Performance Cool Effect fabric
    2009: Launch of the Worsted Vicuna fabric
    2010: Launch of the Fabric No. 1 fabric

1 person likes this.
  15. lawsuit

lawsuit Member

I'm glad I saw this thread I went back to an ebay suit search and I see some of them have an older logo.

It looks like ebay is the perfect place to unload old stock on unsuspecting buyers. If you're getting a discount how much does age play a factor? IE how bad is a 5 year old suit?

16. dreamspace

dreamspace Senior member

Depends on the condition. I've seen 20 year old "New old stock" Zegna suits on Ebay, with tags and everything on.
    The only thing that has changed through the years, has been the styling, so keep that in mind. I've owned most everything by Zegna from the past 20 years, so here's my experience:

90's suits = Wider and more padded shoulders, high-rise trousers, deep pleats, lower button-stance, sometimes unvented
    Early 2000's = Wide and aggressive shoulders, longer jackets. Trousers have double pleats, higher waist, and a bit more baggy in fit. Some "hard 3-button" suits too, i.e the lapel doesn't roll at all.
    Mid to late 2000's = More relaxed fits, shoulders more narrow and softer (even for the Roma), shorter jackets. Flat front trousers or single-pleat trouser, classic to slim fit.
    Early 2010's to Today = Modern fitting suits. Softer shoulders, shorter jackets, slim trouser. May have to go up a size, compared to the older models.

I wouldn't take the labels as a hard fact on how the suits fit, as some are transition models between the labels. I've seen early 00's suits that could go for something they released 10 years later. Also, there's lots of variance on the Zegna fit Roma IMO. I've owned Roma suits that had extremely square and hard shoulders, but I've also owned Roma suits that had almost as soft shoulders as fit Mila...YMMW.

Today you have the Fit. Torino, Fit. Milano, the "Easy" varians of those, and the Couture.
    Older models you'll find on Ebay: Roma, Sav(ile), Roma Cardigan, Couture, City (Z Zegna, though I've seen Mainline zegna in this fit too), and probably some other I've forgotten about.

2 people like this.
  17. lawsuit

lawsuit Member

Thx dreamspace thats a helpful summation of the recent styles. Seems like BB is a less trendy brand but that can also be seen as a negative being conservative.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2017
  18. dreamspace

dreamspace Senior member

Brooks Brothers has been very consistent with their cuts IMO, especially for their best sellers. I've owned various models, and they've been pretty much identical over the years. Especially the Madison suit seems to have been untouched for 15 years now.

It's only only the very late 80's and 90's stuff that looks outdated IMO, as they fell victim to lower gorge and lower button stance, and wider shoulders. early 80's/70's/60's will all look very much alike. Single vented 2 or 3-roll-2 button sack suits

19. Cool Dad

Cool Dad Member

How long has model 221225 been around? Thx

20. Quesjac

Quesjac Senior member

Does anyone have knowledge of the white label mainline stuff? So far I've gleaned that it begins around 2008-2010, and that it's unstructured and (sometimes?) unlined. Does anyone know about the construction, the models etc? I think it is associated with the "easy" fit variants, but I don't own any of those so no hands on experience.

This is the label I'm referring to:

[​IMG]