• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Zegna. An obituary.

Melcombe

Reaction score
My Ermenegildo Zegna summer jacket has died aged about 12 years.

We first became acquainted in a charity shop on the South Coast when I was captivated by a combination of fantastically light fabric in a fine check, a half lining and a cut that was strongly waisted on a 3 button layout. At a price of £7.50 I could quite imagine at the time it was 1% of the new price and, so far as I could see, unblemished.

Over the years, we spent many happy hours in each others company. My EZ companion attract admiring glances and comments as befitted a classic design perfectly executed. Last summer I carefully put it away in a suit cover and thence to my wardrobe to sleep overwinter.

When I roused my faithful garment I was horrified to notice 2 small holes in the inside of the collar but perilously close to the top edge. Moths. Bastards.

The only solution, invisible mending : inside the collar, all I needed was to stop any fraying. That's when the fatal decision was taken to go to a local repairing tailor on recommendation of a trusted friend. I explained what I wanted bade au revoir to EZ and left it to its fate.

On collecting it today, the repairer had taken it upon himself to take a **** out of the inside of the collar, along with the small holes, and thereby shortening the collar, making it sit like a chorizo on my shoulders. My friend was irretrievably injured and I did the only thing I could in the circumstances and committed it's lifeless body to the Salvation Army clothes bank.

Family flowers only please.

Every cloud has a silver lining. So good had been the recommendation that I had resolved to entrust other alteration and repair projects to this house of horror. Now I know better.

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family at this time of bereavement and personal reflection. :cry:

anginaprinzmetal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry for your loss, you'll be in our prayers... :( ... nah

Last edited:

ShayaEXQT

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
i also just got into really like e zegna stuff. just go and get yourself a new jacket and stop crying... sheez i wonder what you'd be like if your dog died

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Melcombe

Reaction score
Okay–I think I have overcome my grief long enough to realise that sarcasm can get lost in translation. :lookaround: (Thanks also for the clip from the Godfather. I have now wasted over an hour reviewing a good deal more of them: I had forgotten what a good film it is.)

So, in lieu of a service of thanksgiving (not)...

As a successor to the late Zegna, I've now settled on the idea of a linen jacket as I have identified some attractive stone coloured 11 ounce linen from HFW.

I know that the traditional design for linen jackets is ventless with patch pockets and narrow lapels, but I prefer a two button, single vent hacking jacket style and my tailor does a more than decent job.

I would be interested to know if anyone has an alternative suggestion for a smart (or smarter than average) summer jacket?

I already have a medium to heavy weight navy blue barathea boating jacket/blazer, so I'm thinking more in the line of a solid (lighter) colour sports coat.

Your kind condolences were gratefully received, actually. ;) As it happens, I don't have a dog either.

Regards

David

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

the repairer had taken it upon himself to take a **** out of the inside of the collar, along with the small holes, and thereby shortening the collar
:facepalm:

I hope you, at least, refused to pay him for ruining your coat?

Melcombe

Reaction score

:facepalm:

I hope you, at least, refused to pay him for ruining your coat?

I'm pleased to say that when he saw the look on my face, he didn't ask for any money (and started apologising in Arabic). My loss was £7.50. My gain, a valuable lesson.

Last edited:

HomerJ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Okay–I think I have overcome my grief long enough to realise that sarcasm can get lost in translation. :lookaround: (Thanks also for the clip from the Godfather. I have now wasted over an hour reviewing a good deal more of them: I had forgotten what a good film it is.)

Not at all. I enjoyed your post. Although the title had me shocked that poor Ermenegildo died. Again.

JamesX

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Out with the old in with the firmer younger replacement?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads