• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Zegna 15milmil15: too fancy for an interview suit?

pocketprotector

Reaction score
Just bought this suit, a Zegna 15 mil mil 15 in charcoal, 2-button, pleated slacks.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=250728253849

So here's my concern: I wonder if I have bitten off more suit than I can chew. The idea was to buy a suit I can wear to interviews (I'm currently a law student) and of course special functions. But is there a chance it is TOO fine of a suit to wear to an interview? I'm in my 30's and live in Southern California (OC) and will be seeking an attorney position this summer. I want to avoid any "Who do you think you are?" reactions from potential employers, if that might be an issue.

Thanks for your input!

bellyhungry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks like a fine suit in conservative color. Why do you think it is too fancy?

pocketprotector

Reaction score
Well, I mean the quality of the fabric. I want to impress, not be seen as flaunting.

Master Shake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No one will really notice.

Guero

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketprotector
Well, I mean the quality of the fabric. I want to impress, not be seen as flaunting.

As a recruiting partner at a very large firm who sees dozens of candidates every year, I can 100% guarantee you that no one will notice the "fineness" of the cloth on your suit. Good luck with the interview.

VaderDave

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Guero
As a recruiting partner at a very large firm who sees dozens of candidates every year, I can 100% guarantee you that no one will notice the "fineness" of the cloth on your suit. Good luck with the interview.

Well, that was on point.

SpallaCamiccia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master Shake
No one will really notice.

+1

We the users of this forum are a bit obssessive about things that normal people wouldn´t notice ever.

changy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Guero

+1
I recommend avoiding more noticeable components like cuff links, banker shirt and expensive watches. I once interviewed someone for a summer intern position and he was wearing a Daytona. That's one extra reason for me to not give him the job.

entrero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketprotector
Just bought this suit, a Zegna 15 mil mil 15 in charcoal, 2-button, pleated slacks.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=250728253849

So here's my concern: I wonder if I have bitten off more suit than I can chew. The idea was to buy a suit I can wear to interviews (I'm currently a law student) and of course special functions. But is there a chance it is TOO fine of a suit to wear to an interview? I'm in my 30's and live in Southern California (OC) and will be seeking an attorney position this summer. I want to avoid any "Who do you think you are?" reactions from potential employers, if that might be an issue.

Thanks for your input!

Don't tailor it, easiest way to avoid the snobby look.

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Make sure to leave the tag on the sleeve. Otherwise they won't know its 15milmilmil15mil

xudisco07

Reaction score
Originally Posted by changy
I once interviewed someone for a summer intern position and he was wearing a Daytona. That's one extra reason for me to not give him the job.

Really? That's a bit ridiculous.

Fraiche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1
I recommend avoiding more noticeable components like cuff links, banker shirt and expensive watches. I once interviewed someone for a summer intern position and he was wearing a Daytona. That's one extra reason for me to not give him the job.

You mean the idea of being able to haze the intern by having him pay for everyone's lunch the first day and passing it off as "tradition" never crossed your mind?

spider52

Reaction score
+1

Just curious, what type of position were you hiring for?

And what would you recommend as an alternative? No watch or a cheap-o?

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by spider52
Just curious, what type of position were you hiring for?

And what would you recommend as an alternative? No watch or a cheap-o?

One would suspect that "tasteful" would be the operative term.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads