• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Zara's suiting now half canvassed?

sauce

Reaction score
Went browsing on lunchbreak today. It seems to me that most, if not all of the tailoring for Zara has bumped up from a fused only to a half canvassed jacket. Did the pinch test, top half had a floating canvas, bottom half, feels fused and/or unlined. All the jackets were still at their normal priced 189$

Anyone know about why or how? Verify?

Ivar

Reaction score
I find that hard to believe. At any rate, the quality of their suitings has gone downhill over the last couple of years. Less 100% wool cloths, and more and more poly-wool blends.

dinowhite

Reaction score
I would find that amazing too, if nothing else because as far as i am aware the price points have not changed

As some of you may know Zara is the main brand of a huge Spanish group called Inditex. The group has cheaper/sportier brands and a more expensive one called Massimo Dutti.

In countries like Spain and Portugal Zara started off as cheap and cheerful and is still seen that way. In England for example it came in later and could positioned itself a little higher up because there was no memory of Zara=nice looking but crap.

If there was to be any half-canvassing in Inditex I would guess it would be in MD. While in Spain few months ago I noticed that MD has started offering shirts with what seems to be hand-sewn buttons. Funny how these details are diffusing down the chain. Last week I was trying on a Kiton sports jacket that did not have working cuff buttons, while I now often see 10 times cheaper products with them.

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Even cheap ass suits need a structure / chest plate somewhere. Does not mean half canvassed in strictest definition. Most suits that can be called low end have some kind of chest plate made of cheap synthetic material glued into the jacket. A pinch test can give illusion it is a floating canvass when it is not.

The way of checking half canvassed jackets is to do a pinch test on lapels. All half canvassed suits, i.e. Corneliani made Ralph Lauren Polo or Brooks Brothers 1818 have canvass in the lapels. These half canvassed suits usually have canvassing extending down to the top button.

The same is not true for most suits retailing for under $500.

Even the more expensive suits by brands like Versace, Boss, and Dolce and Gabbana are fused totally, so price is not necessarily a rock solid guide into construction.

Feel the lapels - if canvassed, then better quality. No canvass, then probably not so good.

Last edited:

jefferyd

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Even cheap ass suits need a structure / chest plate somewhere. Does not mean half canvassed in strictest definition. Most suits that can be called low end have some kind of chest plate made of cheap synthetic material glued into the jacket. A pinch test can give illusion it is a floating canvass when it is not.

Pretty much all garments will have a chest piece so a pinch test in the chest is meaningless. All chest pieces are floating- the material is not fused to the jacket.

The way of checking half canvassed jackets is to do a pinch test on lapels.

In most instances it is very difficult or even impossible to discern the presence of canvas in the lapels just by feeling them.

Capri

Reaction score
I would take into account that the price of the suit jacket alone ($189) would discount that it is actually half-canvassed. Suit Supply would be the price marker I would use for half-canvassed suits (Purple line which is half canvassed starts at $469 retail) Sure you can find discounts lower than that but a retail half-canvassed suit is not going to be under that price. Zara would simply not be profiting from selling a half-canvassed suit at that retail price.

therandombox

Reaction score

Pretty much all garments will have a chest piece so a pinch test in the chest is meaningless. All chest pieces are floating- the material is not fused to the jacket.
In most instances it is very difficult or even impossible to discern the presence of canvas in the lapels just by feeling them.

I thought the pinch test was the best way to know if a suit was canvassed? Is there a better method rather than looking at the price?

Saturdays

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I thought the pinch test was the best way to know if a suit was canvassed? Is there a better method rather than looking at the price?

Ask the Sale Assistants, if they don't know whether it is or not, or if they simply don't know wtf you are asking - walk out.

ShayaEXQT

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Ask the Sale Assistants, if they don't know whether it is or not, or if they simply don't know wtf you are asking - walk out.

This.
lol8[1].gif

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

id wager the sales people at most stores would have no clue, much less at zara.

Saturdays

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

id wager the sales people at most stores would have no clue, much less at zara.

No need to wager, I ca'n't tell you how often I use that as the best way to find out if its worth me staying in the store or not.

therandombox

Reaction score

No need to wager, I ca'n't tell you how often I use that as the best way to find out if its worth me staying in the store or not.

I could imagine someone saying that a suit is canvassed if they knew it couldn't be verified readily. Seriously, no way to take the situation into your own hands? I'd feel helpless knowing that I was at the whim of a salesperson.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads