• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Zara

muchisgiven

Reaction score
I really like the clothes that Zara offers, especially their suits and shirts. I'm noticing that a lot of other men (especially in NY) are starting to wear Zara clothing. I don't want to put on a suit, to have people know that I bought that at Zara and know how much I paid for it.

I was wondering if anyone here knew about other stores similar to Zara in style and price in the New York area that I can check out.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
If you like it and it fits well, and you are worried about people seeing the inside label and knowing it is a Zara, then just unpick the inside label. Personally I have more self confidence than that - hell, my suits say Dung inside them
smile.gif
On to a little Zarappreciation - I just bought some Zara boots - kinda Blundstone styled - highly recommended. Look good, and are the most comfortable non-sneakers Ive ever owned.

muchisgiven

Reaction score
Oh no absolutley not. I'm not worried about people knowing that my suits are from Zara. I just like being exclusive. I was wondering if anyone knew of any niche stores in the New York area, so that I can add some variety to my wardrobe, in regards to suits. As you can tell I don't have a big budget so I can' afford 1,000 dollar suits.

I find that there are not a lot of stores that make the slim fit suits, with flat front pants.
So I was just looking for recommendations....

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Costume National?

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
H&M is almost universally mentioned in the same sentence as Zara. I've never been to Zara, but I'm guessing it's pretty similar.

muchisgiven

Reaction score
It is but for some reason I don't like the quality of their suits. They appear to be put together very quickly

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Zara cuts are generally slimmer and more contemporary than many mass market retailers like GAP, Banana, J.Crew, etc. The company also closely follows the trends in both mens and womenswear. That being said, fabrics are very mediocre, and construction has taken a downhill turn since moving from Spain to Mexico/China in the past two or three years. I have two Zara shirts from 2001-2002 that are decent, but I would definitely hesitate to make a large purchase like suitings or shoes.

babygreenspots

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by muchisgiven
well their suits are pretty cheap at 259-389 I believe.

I have two pairs of Zara shoes, made in Italy and Portugal, that for their price (20 and 35 dollars on ebay and on sale), are quite nice. No real quality problems and I have worn them a fair bit.

I have a Zara overcoat which is one of my favorite pieces of outerwear. It is made in Romania. However, the shirts and suits seemed a little bit shoddy in fabric and construction. In general hit and miss, but Zara really stands out as the only chain that offers clothing that is really slim fitting. I would say that overall it is a step-up from H&M, too.

It's interesting that, despite having production here in China, you do not see very many zara overproduced items or fakes. Zara stands out in this regard since Ralph Lauren, Banana Republic, Gap, and Abercrombie are everywhere.

The first Zara in Beijing is opening up next month. I believe that I have scored an invite for the party.

If you want suits at this price that are more "exclusive" (tailored for you) and have the same fashion-forward look but made of far better, English fabric and with top-notch construction, come to Beijing. It is Beijing's "moment" in history now anyway, so it's worth the trip.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by muchisgiven
Oh no absolutley not. I'm not worried about people knowing that my suits are from Zara. I just like being exclusive. I was wondering if anyone knew of any niche stores in the New York area, so that I can add some variety to my wardrobe, in regards to suits. As you can tell I don't have a big budget so I can' afford 1,000 dollar suits.

I find that there are not a lot of stores that make the slim fit suits, with flat front pants.
So I was just looking for recommendations....

If you like being exclusive then I don't know why you are shopping at Zara.

Most "niche" stores' (Atelier, etc.) suits are going to cost much more than $1000. Their eyeglass frames are probably going to cost about that.

muchisgiven

Reaction score
Well I've never seen anyone wearing any of my Zara suits. I go to church with a lot of guys, and most of them are very fashionable as well. I'm not going to stop shopping at Zara...but I just wanted to know if there were any other stores that have a similar style to Zara in the New York Area.

muchisgiven

Reaction score
I've shopped at club monaco a few times, and I really enjoy their stuff. They have some great clothes there, but I never really noticed any suits there.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads