Zara

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by muchisgiven, Jan 21, 2007.

1. tiger02

tiger02 Militarist

Not exactly Zara's price range, but Sacque Suit and the newly christened Thick as Thieves come to mind.

Tom

2. muchisgiven

muchisgiven Senior member

I googled Sacque Suits and noticed that they have a store in Brooklyn so I'll be checking them out. I couldn't find thick and thieves though...I got a website that sells music

3. tiger02

tiger02 Militarist

4. dkzzzz

dkzzzz Senior member

Thick as thieves make men's suits? I doubt anyone with that name would make anything other than really, really OFF_THE _HOOCK, rad T-shirts.

I never tried Zara suits, but I have tried H&M's and they fit slim frames very well. I doubt you could find niche suit maker for the same price as Zara. Some
    Costume National clothes and shoes are very nice, but they are all 3-5 times more expensive than Zara.

5. Edward Appleby

Edward Appleby Senior member

Thick as thieves make men's suits? I doubt anyone with that name would make anything other than really, really OFF_THE _HOOCK, rad T-shirts.

I never tried Zara suits, but I have tried H&M's and they fit slim frames very well. I doubt you could find niche suit maker for the same price as Zara. Some
    Costume National clothes and shoes are very nice, but they are all 3-5 times more expensive than Zara.

Yoox used to have a ton of them at a discount though. At any rate, "exclusivity" and low price don't exactly go hand in hand, particularly not in the world of suits.

Do check out Thick as Theives, though. Support our forum members!

6. muchisgiven

You're right about being exclusive and cheap. But thick as theives looks great. I just emailed them, so I hope they email me back soon. I'm wondering has anybody here bought from them before?

7. Matt

Matt [email protected]

Thick as Thieves is a new venture started by one of our members, Get Smart, largely as a service to his friends here. Very cool of him, but then, he is Just That Cool. There is a thread on them pinned in the streetwear forum. AFAIK no one has a TaT suit yet. That exclusive enough for ya? [​IMG] Someone has received some pants and was impressed. I am told Streetwear moderator Brian SD will receive the first TaT suit this week and post pics and a review.

8. muchisgiven

Can't wait for the review...but I know that I am going to definitely buy one within the next month. I've been looking for a grey suit for a long time...

9. maomao1980

maomao1980 Senior member Dubiously Honored

I have one Zara suit from their "high-end" line. Full canvass, better material, working button holes, pick stitching, etc. After spending about 20% of the purchase price to get it tailored, it came out quite nice. The waist needs to be taken in; the bank of the coat needs to be cleaned up; the pants are cuffed off-the-rack but is slightly shortened by my tailor; I might have even taken the pant legs slightly but I cannot remember for certain. Overall, I would say in the land of inexpensive tailoring, the value is not so great (I can get a bespoke suit for 30% more). But perhaps in the US or Europe where labor is much more expensive, it could be an option. After wearing it for about 6 months, it has held up quite well, which is more than I can say for other Zara stuff I have owned. I'm not going buy any Zara things ever again, but I do not regret this suit purchase. Everyone needs to beater suit.

10. fredrik80

fredrik80 Senior member

Zaras sales are usually the best way to shop Zara, since i think their items are a bit overpriced when compared to what you can find online for the same amount of money. But on sales they can go down to $50 for a suit, or $30 for a blazer which ofcourse is dirt cheap.
    I remember last summer when i saw a really nice cotton/metal-mix peak lapel black jacket at zara, they wanted Euro 180 for it (approx $240). At the end of the summer they dropped the price to Euro 20 on that blazer, so i bought 4 of them =)

11. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Prof. Fabulous Dubiously Honored

Costume National?

I love CN, but if he says that $1000 suits aren't in his price range, then recommending a $1400+ suit probably isn't going to be in his price range either. One can often find CN cheaper online at yoox, but at retail, a suit from CN is as much as Prada, Gucci, YSL, etc. Even on yoox, often suits are $600+

And, I wouldn't recommend buying CN blind; the cut is VERY extreme. Definitely try it on first. I've owned a ton of CN but still I've had to return more than half of my online yoox CN buys. I'd say they are probably sold at Bergdorf-Goodman, Barneys... and they may have a small boutique in NY somewhere. But, to be honest, I really don't think this brand is what the original poster is looking for.

12. Borky

Borky Senior member

When is the next Zara sale? Anyone know?

13. muchisgiven

I don't know when the next Zara sale is...but you can definitely find some good deals when Zara clothes go on sale.

I have about three Zara suits that I bought on sale. As soon as I get them I take them to a tailor, to have the sleeves and hem adjusted.

I must admit between Zara, J-Crew, and Banana Republic...Zara's suits are better.

I bought a Herrinbone Suit from Banana Republic...I had to have the waist taken in, the leg taken in, the jacket taken in...it was like buying a completely new suit.

But I must admit that I am definitely impressed with Thick as Theives...I have to get at least one, one button suit for the spring/summer

14. raley

raley Senior member

I got my one (and only) suit from Zara. It isn't too bad for a first suit, because the cut is slim and it has double vents and looks pretty "modern." Definitely doesn't look like you raided dad's closet or went to JC Penney for the unfitted single vent usual first suit/blazer.

It was about $200, and the quality I would say is very bad. After wearing the pants about 5-6 times, the crotch opened up and I had to resew it. A friend of mine also got one and went dancing and split the pants. That being said, I do still think it is worth it, just for the fact that you can go to the mall and buy one for $200, and not have to worry about finding something on ebay and whether or not it will fit for the first suit.

15. Luc-Emmanuel

Luc-Emmanuel Senior member

I remember last summer when i saw a really nice cotton/metal-mix peak lapel black jacket at zara, they wanted Euro 180 for it (approx $240). At the end of the summer they dropped the price to Euro 20 on that blazer, so i bought 4 of them =)
    I understand why nobody would like to buy these weird fabrics which are wrinkled on purpose. Is it possible to have them pressed "clean"?

!luc