• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Zara Canvassed suits?

kcheng

Reaction score
I strolled into Zara today and was surprised to discover that they put out a new men's suit line which produces hand basted / canvassed suits for about US$350 as opposed to their standard line which goes for about US$250 here in Singapore. They claim a variety of handmade goodness on the suits which at first glance does look semi-decent, but i'm still a tad skeptical..

Has anyone had any experience with their canvassed suits and whether or not the construction is any good? I didn't spend much time checking the suit out, but it did fit better than their normal line and had a little more tapered cut.

Worth the buck? or are there better alternatives for that value?

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I've seen them, but I haven't tried them on, so I don't know about the fit.

Yes, they are fully canvassed and have machine-made cut-through buttonholes (but not particular nice ones). Those holes are rather cleverly placed; the three top-ones are cut through but not the bottom-one (the one nearest the hem). You can always shorten the sleeve and just remove the bottom buttonhole, or place a new one high up, after the three remaining ones.

The suits are a snip at this price.

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bengal-stripe
Is that a good thing?
eh.gif
blush.gif
thumbs-up.gif

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bengal-stripe
I've seen them, but I haven't tried them on, so I don't know about the fit.

Yes, they are fully canvassed and have machine-made cut-through buttonholes (but not particular nice ones). Those holes are rather cleverly placed; the three top-ones are cut through but not the bottom-one (the one nearest the hem). You can always shorten the sleeve and just remove the bottom buttonhole, or place a new one high up, after the three remaining ones.

I agree - I had a good look over some of these suits and was actually quite impressed, especially given the price. Nice cut and material. However, at least my local Zara only has them in a Regular length, not a Short. Yes, I could shorten the sleeve, but the length of the jacket would still be too long...

... but if they fit you well, you're getting a fairly good bargain with these suits in my opinion.

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I saw these the other day as well. Noticed the functioning sleeve buttons, but did not realize they were fully canvassed.

Any other members checked these out? What did you think?

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good grief. Well, there is a Zara at my hometown. When I end up back there in the next few months I will look for them...

MilanoStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I tried those tailor made Zara suits. Here are my impression on it:
1. Better than $900-$1200CAD Hugo Boss suits, $400 BR suits
2. At $400CAD, I think it's a reasonable suit to buy.
3. It's fully canvassed.
4. Factory made surgent cuffs. It would be difficult to shorten the sleeves.
5. Stiff shoulders.
6. Boxy cut. But if you have average body shape with no dramatic drop size than this suit would look OK.

Bottom line is, for a work horse suit, I might have give it a try if it fitted me well, but it did not ..

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MilanoStyle
I tried those tailor made Zara suits. Here are my impression on it:
1. Better than $900-$1200CAD Hugo Boss suits, $400 BR suits
2. At $400CAD, I think it's a reasonable suit to buy.
3. It's fully canvassed.
4. Factory made surgent cuffs. It would be difficult to shorten the sleeves.
5. Stiff shoulders.
6. Boxy cut. But if you have average body shape with no dramatic drop size than this suit would look OK.

Bottom line is, for a work horse suit, I might have give it a try if it fitted me well, but it did not ..

WOw... maybe if the waist were to be brought in they could be interesting. Are they Lithuanian? I believe that is where their fused ones are made... my brother has one and it looks decent (in photographs at least).

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IIRC, they are made in Turkey.

Thanks for the input, MS.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads