1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Zappos Return Policy??

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by fashionnoob, Nov 9, 2006.

1. fashionnoob

fashionnoob Senior member

i know that zappos has a great return policy, but how easy is it to obtain a full refund for lightly worn shoes? There is no indication that they have been worn on either the outside or the sole, but the logo on the inner footbed has faded a bit. i plan on covering it up with the provided cardboard and paper to stuff in the boot but they WILL notice that it has been worn if they check throughly. will i get a full refund? any experience? thanks!

2. Dick Danger

Dick Danger Senior member

3. minimal

minimal Senior member

You have a reasonable chance of getting a full refund. For cases that are "on the edge", I suspect they basically just suck it up and lose the money, rather than alienate a customer.

The loss is made up for by charging other people a little bit more for their shoes.

Zappos provides outstanding service, and there's no question that their 365-day return policy is an invitation to people (of a certain sort) to take advantage. But I'm intrigued: it's *also* possible that, because they are so lenient in this way, they may be extra-tough in the "wear" department.

So let us know how it goes. I'm hoping that they reject you, of course, since I don't want to have to subsidize you on my next pair of adidas.

4. fashionnoob

fashionnoob Senior member

You have a reasonable chance of getting a full refund. For cases that are "on the edge", I suspect they basically just suck it up and lose the money, rather than alienate a customer.

The loss is made up for by charging other people a little bit more for their shoes.

Zappos provides outstanding service, and there's no question that their 365-day return policy is an invitation to people (of a certain sort) to take advantage. But I'm intrigued: it's *also* possible that, because they are so lenient in this way, they may be extra-tough in the "wear" department.

So let us know how it goes. I'm hoping that they reject you, of course, since I don't want to have to subsidize you on my next pair of adidas.

i really think they are resaleable. they still have the new shoe smell in the interior and there isn't a trace of wear on the exterior. i'm thinking they might try to keep me happy since i'm a very good customer of theirs. we'll see!

5. WatchGuy

WatchGuy Senior member

i really think they are resaleable. they still have the new shoe smell in the interior and there isn't a trace of wear on the exterior. i'm thinking they might try to keep me happy since i'm a very good customer of theirs. we'll see!
    Hmmmm.... how would you feel if you got those shoes 'new'?

Not cool to return them unless you are completely honest with their condition, IMO.

6. chronoaug

chronoaug Senior member

It's your money and shoes. If you can, go for it. If it's really what you want to do, you may as well give it a shot. If they don't take them back, maybe you could get credit, or at least get the shoes back to put them on ebay/sell here.

7. dnarnya

dnarnya Senior member

8. Lysol

Lysol Senior member

I'm not adding my two cents either way but I will add that I find it funny that my wife and every female I've ever met in my entire lifetime have an open door policy on returning new/semi-worn/totally worn items, months after wear, if they decide they don't like the item. Whereas every male I've ever seen post on this board acts as if returning merchandise in varying states of wear, is in contridiction of some moral high ground on the same level as cheating on your taxes and spitting in a customer's food. I'm sure there's a social studies' thesis in here somewhere.

9. theshonen8899

theshonen8899 Senior member

Chicks wanna save money while men wanna keep their balls? [​IMG]

10. dryice

dryice Senior member

it's people like you who try to take advantage of a generous system that eventually have that genoristy taken away for everyone else. you suck. not to mention (as stated above by watchguy)

11. thereverend

thereverend Senior member

If Zappos did not want people to send back boots after 364 days of owning them they would not allow it. Does anyone here honestly think a huge company like Zappos did not think about this before they set up their policies? If it is allowed then no one is doing anything wrong.

12. minimal

minimal Senior member

I'm not adding my two cents either way but I will add that I find it funny that my wife and every female I've ever met in my entire lifetime have an open door policy on returning new/semi-worn/totally worn items, months after wear, if they decide they don't like the item. Whereas every male I've ever seen post on this board acts as if returning merchandise in varying states of wear, is in contridiction of some moral high ground on the same level as cheating on your taxes and spitting in a customer's food. I'm sure there's a social studies' thesis in here somewhere.

True, but this is not without consequence: the return policies in women's stores are now draconian compared to men's shops (and though it's probably illegal, often highend stores that have separate men's & women's departments enforce different policies).

That's what happens when too many people try to take advantage of the system. A few returns can be absorbed easily, but if it's a "cultural norm" it has to be factored into the business model.

13. DNW

DNW Senior member

Zappos has a great return policy, but their prices are also slightly higher than other stores. I assure you they're not losing money because of their policy, perhaps the reverse is true. For those of you who are receiving a pair that is less than new, just send the thing right back.

14. Btown

Btown New Member

I believe Zappos as well as other retailers who excel in customer service should not be taken advantage of just because they are a big company. It is completely unethical to send back shoes you have worn. You state that they are resellable, then why don't you just post them on Ebay (and advertise them as slightly worn)? As far as the other posters who are on this board trying to justify a return that is so blatently wrong, you are probably the reason why good customer service is so hard to find in retailing these days. Do what's right, and take the high road. Otherwise karma will take care of it.

15. Thezappospolicy

Thezappospolicy New Member

You all are up tight me and my friends send back our shoes worn all the time becuase they just don't fit right any more or we don't like the feel in time it's our choice in the return policy and our money spent on this corporation that is doing just well whether it's unethical it's our own choice and my friend and myself have sent shoes back dirty and holes in them due to the material not lasting that is why there is a 24/7 365 day return policy shoes shouldn't have to be bought per month if it's due to wear n tear which I love about zappos they are very lenient. Stop worrying my friend has been a zappos VIP member for years and I'm one for going on my third year with a total of only about a hundred dollars spent but I've returned about 8 pairs of shoes and get new ones when I want to part of my return policy.

16. Daniel Cooley

Daniel Cooley New Member

I absolutely agree with you. Everyone on this who says that this is unethical is full of crap & needs to understand that this is just part of doing business. Zappos wouldn't be doing this unless it was a good business model for them. Obviously, they they thought about this before. All of you people are up TIGHT and need to get real. Saying that you hope they reject the return is absurd.

17. Tsujigiri

Tsujigiri Senior member

Companies that offer very generous return policies are getting rarer. There's a reason for that. I think the other forum members have every right to be angry that others are abusing their return policies and pushing companies towards caring less about their customers.