1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 11: Any Three (3) Customized Ties from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 11th auction of the year is for any three customized ties from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Zanella's!!!

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by kcgreg, Apr 20, 2006.

1. kcgreg

kcgreg Senior Member

[​IMG] Can anyone tell me something about the Zanella range of trousers? Are they any good? What's the hype?[​IMG]

2. Roger

Roger Distinguished Member

They are good. The wool dress trousers tend to retail for anywhere from $250 to $300. They can be had on eBay for somewhere in the $75-$150 range. They are comparable in style to Zegna, Incotex, RLPL (Saint Andrews), and many others. I'd rate them equal to Zegna and just slightly below Incotex and RLPL, but probably better than RL Polo. They're not in the class of Oxxford, Brioni, or Borrelli, in my opinion, lacking the handwork and detail on these latter trousers. All in all, however, they're excellent machine-made trousers. Zanella makes several styles (with names such as Bennett, Alter, Benny, etc.), and it pays to know what you want before buying, as some are full-cut and others are cut much slimmer. My favorite is the Bennett, which is a slim-to-regular cut. Hope this helps.

3. kcgreg

kcgreg Senior Member

Thanks Roger.

4. kcgreg

kcgreg Senior Member

They are good. The wool dress trousers tend to retail for anywhere from $250 to $300. They can be had on eBay for somewhere in the $75-$150 range. They are comparable in style to Zegna, Incotex, RLPL (Saint Andrews), and many others. I'd rate them equal to Zegna and just slightly below Incotex and RLPL, but probably better than RL Polo. They're not in the class of Oxxford, Brioni, or Borrelli, in my opinion, lacking the handwork and detail on these latter trousers. All in all, however, they're excellent machine-made trousers. Zanella makes several styles (with names such as Bennett, Alter, Benny, etc.), and it pays to know what you want before buying, as some are full-cut and others are cut much slimmer. My favorite is the Bennett, which is a slim-to-regular cut. Hope this helps.

Can you give me an idea or pics of the handiwork and detail of Oxxford, Brioni & Borrelli? I would really like to know the difference. Thanks a lot.

5. Luc-Emmanuel

Luc-Emmanuel Distinguished Member

I was wearing white zanella linen pants yesterday. I'll try to get some pics as they have some interesting details.

!luc

6. kcgreg

kcgreg Senior Member

I was wearing white zanella linen pants yesterday. I'll try to get some pics as they have some interesting details.

!luc

[​IMG] Cool Luc - cannot wait for pics...thanks!

7. MrRogers

MrRogers Senior Member

I just picked up a pair in grey a few weeks back in NM and am very impressed.....I tried on a pair of oxford and isaia (sp) along with the zanellas and liked the zanellas best of the three, all priced between 3-400$

MrR

8. kcgreg

kcgreg Senior Member

I just picked up a pair in grey a few weeks back in NM and am very impressed.....I tried on a pair of oxford and isaia (sp) along with the zanellas and liked the zanellas best of the three, all priced between 3-400$

MrR

Can you tell me why you liked the Zanellas best? What motivated the choice to pick the Zanellas???[​IMG]

9. Tomasso

Tomasso Distinguished Member

Can you give me an idea or pics of the handiwork and detail of Oxxford

Oxxford trousers are known for their waistband construction. They are the most comfortable trousers that I have ever owned, Zanella, Brioni and Incotex included.(I've tried on Borelli and Kiton but have never owned them).

Here's a word from Oxxford about their trousers:

The Oxxford trouser has a patented one-piece waistband. This adds to the trousers neat, stream-lined appearance. Any item placed inside the pocket of an Oxxford trouser balances evenly. Any weight in the pocket balances from the entire waistband, not from just one area. Another distinctive Oxxford feature is the security pocket in the waistband to fit a wallet or other items. The one-piece construction gives great support to the wearer of the Oxxford trouser. Also, the zipper on an Oxxford trouser is nickel-plated for strength. It will bend and move in any direction without fail.

[​IMG]

10. Roger

Roger Distinguished Member

Can you give me an idea or pics of the handiwork and detail of Oxxford, Brioni & Borrelli? I would really like to know the difference. Thanks a lot.
    Well, Tomasso has provided an excellent description of Oxxford, and why so many men consider them to be the very best trousers. I guess I forgot Kiton in my short list of top-grade trousers. Anyway, all of these could have small details examples of which would be things like a belt-prong loop to keep the belt centered in the waistband and hand-done pick stitching around the pockets. In addition, you'd probably find the treatment of belt loops a little more finely-done and finished-looking with both ends tucked neatly under. The seams might be more carefully done. In all likelihood, the wool would just look finer. It might be of the same yarn number as found in lesser trousers (say 100s), but it will almost certainly be of higher quality--particularly, I would think, with Kiton, Borrelli, and Brioni, who have access to the very best Italian wools. When I put my Zanella trousers up against my Borrellis, the latter just look to be of finer quality.

However, none of this is to suggest that Zanella trousers are of poor quality. They're not; they're very good. And once you go beyond this quality level, there's not one person in 1000 who could tell the difference--unless, perhaps, we were considering members of this forum![​IMG]

What's probably of greater importance than these details (some of which can be added by a good alterations tailor) is the line and fit vis-a-vis your particular body form. The Borrelli trousers I've seen have tended to be quite slim-cut, for example, and, although I like that, it certainly isn't for everyone. As I mentioned earlier, with Zanella, there's a slimness-fullness continuum that you need to take into account. Even the very best Kiton trousers will look terrible if the cut is all wrong for the man wearing them, whereas a pair of inexpensive Hugo Boss Dr. Hooks (which I have several pairs of and really like) may look great on that man, even though they lack the refinements of higher-quality trousers.

11. BrooklynMike

BrooklynMike Well-Known Member

FYI, I saw some Zanella pants in the Filene's Basement on Union Square in NYC.

12. chorse123

chorse123 Stylish Dinosaur

Century 21 in NYC perpetually has them for around $110. Usually pleated, though, and often some wacky fabrics.

13. thinman

thinman Distinguished Member

My ranking of the various trousers I own (one pair by each maker), and the reasons, are the following:

1) Brioni is my favorite, not only because of the workmanship and comfort, but because the fabric, a wool flannel with a kind of twill weave, is exceptionally soft. The cut is trim and looks great on me.

2)Oxxford is the most comfortable to wear, I love the look of the fabric, a herringbone weave (the trousers are part of a suit).

3-4) Zegna and RLPL tie for this spot. Both are well-made, comfortable, and use great fabrics.

5) Zanella is very good quality, standard wool gabardine fabric, nothing exciting.

6) Incotex for Pal Zileri. I'm biased because I just don't like the fabric.

7) RL Blue Label (Orphaned suit trousers, so made by Corneliani, I bought this pair at Marshalls and decided they really don't fit, so I plan to sell them). They are well-made, entirely machine stitched, standard wool gabardine trousers, just not up to the standards of the others on the list. They're not priced like the others on the list, either.

FWIW, I just bought a pair of Canali trousers that may be orphaned suit trousers (I'd need to check the label again). I haven't had them tailored yet, so they haven't been worn, but on first inspection I'd rank them near the Zegna/RLPL or Zanella trousers.

I second the recommendation that you become familiar with the various models of Zanella trousers. I prefer flat-front trousers and I've only found 1-2 Zanella models that don't have pleats. Zanellas are easy to find on ebay, however, and I frequently find them in outlet stores in my size (but almost always with pleats).

14. kcgreg

kcgreg Senior Member

Fantastic man - appreciate the input!

15. Jared

Jared Distinguished Member

How does each of the Zanella models fit? Here's the list I've assembled so far:
    • Benny
    • Duncan
    • Gentlemen
    • Jesse
    • Nathan
    • Patrick
    • Sean
    Where do the different lines fit in? (Platinum, Sartoriale, etc.) (Please give as much information as you can, on Streetwear they provide measurements. [​IMG])