• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Z Zenga?

farfisa23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thoughts, comments?

I know most is made in Turkey, Romania or - gasp! - China, but is the fabric of Zegna (or Zegna-ish) quality?

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is that kinda like the soccer player D Dunga?

stickonatree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
according to wiki, Zenga is the Japanese term for the practice and art of Zen Buddhist painting and calligraphy in the Japanese tea ceremony and also the martial arts.

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Try A Armoney, it's better than Z Zenga

farfisa23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I should have said P Pithy judging by those comments...

How's this..

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just saw a 100% cashmere Z Zegna sportscoat at Century 21, reduced from $1100. Ermenegildo obviously thinks that the brand is Zegna quality. The coat was an interesting cut - boxy, big shoulders, kind of Bateman-80's.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have a few Z things and like them pretty well because the cuts are often slimmer and more modern looking than traditional Zegna. Quality isn't nearly as good as regular Zegna, but the prices aren't as high either. I have a few cotton blazers and such which were in the $500-600 range retail (i got them on sale) and the fit is really quite nice at that level. In comparison, you'd be paying more for Boss or D&G... which are probably Z's biggest competitors... and I think Zegna is considerably better than they are.

I don't plan to be wearing them in fifteen years, so it doesn't bother me that they aren't made to the same standards as the regular line or in the same locations. Nevertheless, it is considered the younger "diffusion" line for Zegna, so if you tend to stick with the regular line, you probably won't be impressed with Z. I don't think there is any comparison, in general, with the fabrics between Z and regular Zegna... like a lot of diffusion lines, they share the name and the name only (everything from design, production, etc. is probably handled by totally different teams). Nevertheless, you could certainly do worse...

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by letmebefell
I just saw a 100% cashmere Z Zegna sportscoat at Century 21, reduced from $1100. Ermenegildo obviously thinks that the brand is Zegna quality. The coat was an interesting cut - boxy, big shoulders, kind of Bateman-80's.

I don't know, I think they know it's lesser than regular Zegna quality or they'd charge more for it and have it under the regular line. Z Zegna is the company's way of reaching "younger" "cooler" customers, which really means more fashion focused, cost sensitive, and less concerned with quality. They are around Corneliani Trend or cheaper Ralph Lauren, but more expensive because of the Zegna name. The most I'd pay is $200 for a jacket or $300 for a suit, and even then I'd have to really love the piece.

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Most Z suits I've seen are fused and made in Mexico, not that the country of origin matters much when garments are essentially machine-made.

My problem with the line is mainly the fabrics they use. Lots of blends and some synthetics; patterns and details are more fashion-forward than my tastes. That said, if you find one you like on sale, go for it.

stickonatree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
maybe because they're pronouncing it wrong? zayn-nia is the right way.

dagenham

Reaction score
I think the Z line is great. The fit is amazing, especially in the "Drop 8" fit which is the slimmer of the two fits. A 48R fits me perfectly off the rack... You can't compare the quality to that of Ermenegildo Zegna, but for around $1000 (as opposed to $3000 for EZ) for a very well fitting suit, with Zegna fabric, I don't think you can beat it. I've previously worn Paul Smith, Prada, etc, and I don't think they compare to the fit of my Z suits. The dress shirts are a great deal as well, slim fit, a smaller collar but goes with the fashion forward look of the brand, and priced $145 - $195.

And for clarification on the original post...
Suits & Sportcoats are made in Mexico, some in Switzerland
Shirts are made in Turkey, as most shirts are these days
The leather pieces are made in Italy
The technical fabric jackets, nylons, etc are made in China, as most are

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads