• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Z Zegna Suits

bellyhungry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^^ Harry Rosen currently has a promo of Samuelsohn MTM starting at $1095 till the end of January, I believe.

Last edited:

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

sorry I'm new to this, what is MTM ?

MTM = Made to Measure. When a suit is made according to your measurements. It may be surprising to learn that a number of suit manufacturers have programs like this.

ps don't confuse with "bespoke" or you'll be instabanned by The Gods.

Last edited:

ofKAWS

Reaction score
i found that hugo boss and z zegna had sz 34 available but after doing some research found out that for $1000 that they are not worth the price

Out of curiosity, have you found anyone that readily has a size 34 suit available?

ofKAWS

Reaction score
Here is a new question, is it better to go to suit places and buy brand name suits and get a complimentary alteration or is it better to get a suit tailored to my exact fit with good quality fabrics ? both at the same price too

MTM = Made to Measure. When a suit is made according to your measurements. It may be surprising to learn that a number of suit manufacturers have programs like this.
ps don't confuse with "bespoke" or you'll be instabanned by The Gods.

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Here is a new question, is it better to go to suit places and buy brand name suits and get a complimentary alteration or is it better to get a suit tailored to my exact fit with good quality fabrics ? both at the same price too

Entry level bespoke in western hemisphere would probably start at beyond your listed budget. Then there is the issue of finding that tailor within driving distance ...

Go RTW / MTM, sizing up to 36 is not recommended but a 46 EU size is often a size smaller than 36 US equivalent. Some brands may be close to the 34US you desire. Go try on a bunch of 46EU suits and see where you go...

Either that or stick to 34 strict / go MTM.

Last edited:

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

The question is not new, it's only new to you. It's practically the reason SF exists. Lurk, search, and read more. You have just unknowingly stepped into a new world, most of the your answers are but clicks away...

ps - bookmark your post to come back to in 2 years, you'll understand then.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
BTW, as of a few days ago, Harry's on Bloor has a navy sportscoat Z-Zegna drop 8 model in a 34r marked down to about $800... more than I'd pay but just FYI since the size (and sales at Harry's) are hard to come by.

Where are you located? I'm a small guy and know Toronto so can help you look around since I know all the spots that have stuff that fit us (I'm a 34r-36s too).

Read around these:
http://www.styleforum.net/t/68936/clothes-for-the-short-guy-stores-brands-lines-websites

bjan

Reaction score
Holt Renfrew has 20% off sale items this weekend - might be worth a look.

ofKAWS

Reaction score
BTW, as of a few days ago, Harry's on Bloor has a navy sportscoat Z-Zegna drop 8 model in a 34r marked down to about $800... more than I'd pay but just FYI since the size (and sales at Harry's) are hard to come by.
Where are you located? I'm a small guy and know Toronto so can help you look around since I know all the spots that have stuff that fit us (I'm a 34r-36s too).
Read around these:
http://www.styleforum.net/t/68936/clothes-for-the-short-guy-stores-brands-lines-websites

im willing to drive anywhere in toronto or gta for a good find for sure, i was just at the missisauga square one harry rosen and the salesperson sold me on the z zegna suit but doing further research and asking around about the suits, I've come to the conclusion there are much better finds out there than a z zegna suit for 1000$ , but if u would know any places in toronto that would be very helpful

deepitm

Reaction score
There is very little love on SF for Z Zegna, but I think that's kind of dumb. While it's true that Zegna construction is not great, this is StyleForum not QualityofConstrurctionForum. And Zegna cuts are very stylish and particularly great if you have a trim figure. However, as others have indicated, Z Zegna (like almost everything) goes on sale. I have picked up a Z Zegna suit for $400 on sale. However, I would say that there is just less Zegna out in the world, which inherently makes it harder to find on sale as opposed to a brand as ubiquitous as Boss. I don't think a Zegna suit if properly taken care of is going to wear out fast on you. Samuelsohn is nice though and MTM would be good for you given your size. I do think Sameulsohn MTM is better than Z Zegna because fully canvassed MTM isn't getting any cheaper than the ~$1000 that was quoted earlier in this thread. I think if you can't afford to wait and find Z Zegna on sale, then getting the Samuelsohn is a good bet.

FYI Yoox usually has some Z Zegna, but I don't think I've ever seen 34's on there.

Last edited:

Birks and Grey Socks

Reaction score
I live in Canada too. What Americans may not realize is that our menswear costs 75-100% more. Try AEs for $450-$475. Hugo Boss suits for $1100, on sale for $800.

But to the OP, Harry Rosen outlet in T.O. has better suits for $1000. If you don't live near that, go get a Samuelshon or take a vacation in the States. Many better suits for $400-500 in places like NMLC, Saks off 5th, Nordstrom rack. For your $1000, you can almost fly to NYC and buy a nice suit from Century 21, and get free airfare out of it.

OTOH, Samuelsohn is one of the very few things cheaper in Canada than it is in the US. I've seen their suits go for under $1000 regularly up here. Hary has a MTM suit promotion right now for $1000. I'd rather get that for my money. I think it's made by Coppley.

Save your money, I've seen Coppley suits on sale for $500 in canada and they're at least similar quality as Z Zegna. I do own a Z Zegna BTW, it's decent but nowhere near worth $1000

Last edited:

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I live in Canada too. What Americans may not realize is that our menswear costs 75-100% more. Try AEs for $450-$475. Hugo Boss suits for $1100, on sale for $800.
But to the OP, Harry Rosen outlet in T.O. has better suits for $1000. If you don't live near that, go get a Samuelshon or take a vacation in the States. Many better suits for $400-500 in places like NMLC, Saks off 5th, Nordstrom rack. For your $1000, you can almost fly to NYC and buy a nice suit from Century 21, and get free airfare out of it.
OTOH, Samuelsohn is one of the very few things cheaper in Canada than it is in the US. I've seen their suits go for under $1000 regularly up here. Hary has a MTM suit promotion right now for $1000. I'd rather get that for my money. I think it's made by Coppley.
Save your money, I've seen Coppley suits on sale for $500 in canada and they're at least similar quality as Z Zegna. I do own a Z Zegna BTW, it's decent but nowhere near worth $1000

Exactly. It's shocking to see a NWT Canali suit on the forum for $500 when they're well north of 1k in Canada (on sale!).

Gossage Consult

Reaction score
I have told by top end tailors in Venice that the the cloth for the best Zegna and Brioni suits, sports jackets and trousers are made
by thee same mills in Italy. The difference is the lining, drape, padding, service of retail store and personal preferences of the buyer name and reputation of the store.

E. Gossage
Gossage Consultancy
Gritti Palace
Venezia

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads