Z Zegna Suits

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by ofKAWS, Jan 5, 2012.

1. ofKAWS

ofKAWS Member

Hi, so it's my first time buying a suit, i know suits somewhat and know the fits and what not although i am not too sure on the brands and qualities of each. My budget is about 1000$ and recently i have found either a hugo boss suit or a very nice z zenga suits. The Z Zenga suit fits very nicely and it is on sale for $1000 , my question though is it a good brand to last a couple years if taken care of and is $1000 canadian dollars too much for it & if so should i just hold out and look for a nicer brand ?

2. malat

malat Senior member

I have a Z Zegna suit that I caught on sale a couple years back. It is a great party suit and has a nice mohair sheen. If the suit fits and you can catch a good sale, I would buy a Z Zegna again. You may want to check the B/S forum here for great deals on suits.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2012
  3. cbbuff

cbbuff Senior member

Z Zegna is not a high quality suit, but has a nice cut. It will not last you a long time, and if you only have one, I would not get one. Especially for $1k. You can get a Samuelsohn MTM for close to that, or a Hickey Freeman, Polo, etc.

Or get a BB Fitz for $500 on sale now at Brooks Brothers.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2012
  4. jamesny

jamesny Senior member

For your first suit, try on a few suits in retail or why don't you go for Brooks Brothers, even Kenneth Cole

5. Cant kill da Rooster

Cant kill da Rooster Senior member

This is a good statement. Z Zegna is cut a certain way and considered the fashion forward sports line for Zegna.. They are better than Hugo Boss IMHO. However, they are not fully canvassed, and if you are going to blow 1k, you can do better. Unless you are in Canada.

6. Achilles_

Achilles_ Senior member

I say go with Samuelsohn as mentioned above.

7. Viral

Viral Senior member

OP.......what size are you? I ask because there are many deals to be had right now on various brands. Of course, if you are a common sz like 38R then the pickings are slimmer.......

8. razl

razl Senior member

I've got a local Zegna outlet and last week they were pitching Z Zegna's (mostly in non-standard colors, like blue with brown stripes) at 50% off the already discounted 30% or so. You could get one for about $350-400.

Slightly fashion forward, I think only half-canvassed, and very slim drop 7. OK to pick up at that price as a "going out" suit, but that's about it. If it was me and my money, I'd keep the cash to put towards something better. Even the $500-$600 Hickey Freeman's at the local Last Call would be better for a real work suit.

9. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

Although fusing is rightly considered as indicative of a lower quality suit, I do not get the impression that the OP will have problem with lastability of a fused suit. A fused suit should last a long time if cared for and worn sparringly (I presume the OP wont go from being non suit wearer to a full time suit wearer if he only wants one suit). I agree that Samuelsohn or Brooks Brothers would be a better hunting ground for a starter/first suit, but perhaps we should consider the OP wants a more fashion forward / modern cut suit, in which case Boss and Z Zegna would suffice.

My only advice to the OP is dont go full retail on Z Zegna or Boss. Patience can net either suit for under $500 leaving you quids in for something else.

10. ofKAWS

ofKAWS Member

I am a sz 34 , so it is a even slimmer picking for me

11. ofKAWS

ofKAWS Member

12. StockwellDay

StockwellDay Senior member

You should be excommunicated from SF for this advice.

13. ofKAWS

ofKAWS Member

do you know anywhere that may have good deals ? i live in canada and the prices are lot more here than in the states, perhaps online ?

14. Achilles_

Achilles_ Senior member

Samuelsohn MTM

15. ofKAWS

ofKAWS Member

sorry I'm new to this, what is MTM ?