• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Z Zegna Suit: A good value at what price?

nate10184

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I tried one of these on and love the fit. I'm pretty hard to fit so it was refreshing to put on something that looked good right off the rack. I looked back through the archives and found these are made in Mexico and fused. Most said these are a value only at a steep discount. How steep is steep? I think retail is between $900 and $1300 if I remember correctly. I'm looking in particular at a solid gray two button.

I'm at the point in my life where I'm willing to sacrifice some quality for a good fit and can't afford anything super high end anyway. RL Black Label is just a little beyond my means at the moment.

billiebob

Reaction score
I've seen them at Off 5th for 300 or so. If I needed a suit in the color and pattern available for that price and liked the fit I would buy it. I would rather have a blue label Polo suit for that price though.

dagenham

Reaction score
I think they are a good value no matter the price. However, you can find some on sale.

As you stated, the fit off the rack is hard to beat and you're not going to find anything else close to the fit at that price level.

polar-lemon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dag. wears Z Zegna very well, but it all depends on your build. I think in the 900-1300 price range, Polo blue label is the higher-quality offering. It has a wonderfully soft construction and I love how light it feels on; in addition, it accommodates my chest and shoulders very well while still being narrow enough through the body to be taken in at the side seams and not mess up the vents. However, if you like the more structured and padded shoulder of Black Label, your only other option is Z Zegna (as Dag. said), especially if you need a suit with an 8 inch drop in that price range. Personally I find that Z Zegna is slimmer not only through the body but in the chest and shoulders, and thus I have to size up, rendering the additional 2 inch drop useless. In terms of it being on sale, I've never seen it at outlets, but I'd imagine you could find it for 25% off or so during dept. store sales.

JR88

Reaction score
I found one last summer at Marshall Fields for $400, marked down from $1100. It fits perfectly with no alterations necessary. (I am on the slim side of 38R.) I will pounce on other $400 Z suits I encounter.

nate10184

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys. I think the upper end of my price range is about $500. I had a solid anthracite RL Black Label suit in my hands in January that cost $460 or something around there and have been regretting not buying it ever since. If I come across a Z Zegna between $300-$400 I'd probably buy it otherwise I'll wait for something of better construction. Unfortunately I find even RL Blue Label a bit baggy in my size (40L).

I don't wear suits for work but it would be nice to have at least one good one for weddings, interviews, recruiting, etc.

suitsme

Reaction score
I just got one from Saks for 600 (40% off sale). Drop 8 fits me perfectly and only needed to have the sleeves shortened. It actually fit me better otr than my first TaT suit. Very happy with the purchase.

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dagenham
I think they are a good value no matter the price. However, you can find some on sale.

As you stated, the fit off the rack is hard to beat and you're not going to find anything else close to the fit at that price level.

Where can you find Z Zegna on sale? specifically, how to get on the private sales list of Saks or Neiman Marcus?
worship.gif

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't spend more than 300-400 on them. I actually remain disappointed with the fit OTR.

velvel87

Reaction score
Does anyone know what Gritti styled by emergildo zegna is? Its made in Mexico, just like zegna z, i think.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by velvel87
Does anyone know what Gritti styled by emergildo zegna is? Its made in Mexico, just like zegna z, i think.

Outlet line. S'okay. Nothing special.

velvel87

Reaction score
Is there a difference between zegna z and gritti?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads