• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Yves Saint Laurent Jonny Boots - Who's got them?

mrbig

Reaction score
Hello,

Long time since i've posted. I'm looking for a cuban-esque heel boot to replace my old RM Williams "The Yearling" ones, and found the YSL Jonny Boot thru the search feature. I only found 2 pics of these in action, other than celebs wearing them (RE Tom Ford, Michael Jackson). I'm travelling to london for the first 2 weeks of June and will be able to get to a YSL store then, before i go i'd like to get some info first.

----Jump here for questions----
If anyone has Jonny boots:
  • How's the leather quality?
  • How is the construction? From the YSL/japanese retail websites they look bonded but im not sure
  • Do you have any pics of your Jonny's? if you do please post them, I'm sure im not the only one out there looking for pics
  • Does anyone know what kinds of discounts I'd be looking at during the June sale period at YSL?

If anyone can help I'd appreciate it, I don't want a 795USD lemon, and neither does anyone else.

thanks,

mrbig

yoshii

Reaction score
I actually like these boots, except for the squared off toe.
The heel is a little tall too though due to my (lack of) height, i could live with it
tounge.gif

...pity it's way too exy for me to even consider, let alone even find available locally
frown.gif

fcuknu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mrbig
If anyone has Jonny boots:
  • How's the leather quality?
  • How is the construction? From the YSL/japanese retail websites they look bonded but im not sure
  • Do you have any pics of your Jonny's? if you do please post them, I'm sure im not the only one out there looking for pics
  • Does anyone know what kinds of discounts I'd be looking at during the June sale period at YSL?

thanks,

mrbig

leather is average, they are cemented. I doubt they will be marked down at the boutique by then, a department store may be different.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Doesn't LK have a pair of these? He might be able to comment on them.

In any case, YSL shoes are nice for designer shoes (I find them better than Prada, Valentino, or some of the others at that level construction/quality wise), but they are most noteworthy for the interesting style, not the subtle details in how they are put together. I doubt they'd hold up in a test against a $500-600 pair of C&J's, but again, C&J won't have that styling.

fcuknu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you are mistaken, C&J just put out a shoe called the cha cha cha on the 6969 last.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fcuknu
you are mistaken, C&J just put out a shoe called the cha cha cha on the 6969 last.
lol8[1].gif
My Mistake! But can I get it, SF-approved, special-order from Plal, preferably FAR less than retail, benchgrade and in "Burnished Oak?"

mrbig

Reaction score
Originally Posted by fcuknu
leather is average, they are cemented.

If they are cemented, what's the repair work like? I actually prefer walking on leather soles to rubber, so Topying is out unless its the only way to give me a bit more life in the sole. If I wear out the sole, the shop just 'rips' the old one off, cuts out a new one and glues that on?

I'm assuming good ol' Harrods stocks YSL, last time I was in Harrods I didn't get a chance to have much of a look for shoes, but does anyone know if shoes are marked down much there? IIRC Selfridges had a pair of C&J for Richard James (they were Hallam on the 348 in black calf) for 80GBP, didn't pick them up though.

Also, does anyone know of a substitute to the Jonny? I spent a few days of my holidays endlessly googling to no avail lol

Thanks,

mrbig

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads