Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Yuketen Footwear

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Nataku, Jul 4, 2008.

1. Ry'on

Ry'on Senior member

Yes, we bought 3 different styles for the spring. 2 colors in the Ranger Mocs. We actually went down to size 7 for the Rangers and Country Loafers. We have 8.5 in everything except the loafers fyi. The small sizes will be more limited numbers however, so don't hestitate to contact us early if you'd like something.

Also, for everyones info, the prices have gone up slightly compared to last spring. Not due to retailers hiking them up, but the cost of goods for Yuketen have gone up a bit and they've upgraded some components.

We didn't order the Maine Guide Shoe for the spring, but we will have new version for the fall again that will be quite unique.

2. CEE88

CEE88 Senior member

suede tends to get dirty fairly easy anyway so i would get a suede protector on them for the future and maybe cuff your jeans while wearing them to at least minimize the transfer. i use the kiwi suede cleaner with the bristle tip on my suede shoes (a pair of old jhung yuros) and it does a fairly good job of cleaning the shoe and getting rid of stains. http://www.kiwicare.com/UK/Products/SuedeNubuck/ indigo is especially stubborn and might be harder to get off ... this might be overkill (to dye them) but this might work although i have never tried it. http://www.shoecaresupplies.com/Shoe...-suede-dye.htm
    I was advised to look into Pecard for Chromexcel leather maintenance and noticed they also offer these suede cleaning/protecting products:

http://www.pecard.com/mm5/merchant.m...ry_Code=nubuck
    http://www.pecard.com/mm5/merchant.m...y_Code=fashion

3. brianoh

brianoh Senior member

4. hot*java

hot*java Member

All-
    I was just notified that some boots I've been selling on eBay (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...#ht_500wt_1156) were being discussed here, and that there have been allegations that they are fakes, so I wanted to provide some first hand facts. Full disclosure and all...

I have no interest in selling fakes, and wouldn't knowingly do so. I also frankly have little general interest in selling boots. What happened was, I was in a Sierra Trading Post (www.sierratradingpost.com) retail store in early summer and spotted some interesting boots in their clearance section. There were two styles, both with leather/wool uppers and Vibram soles - one light brown leather/gray wool/white sole version, and another tartan plaid/dark brown leather/black sole version. The stamp on the tongue said "Yuketen, Made in USA".

I snapped up a couple pair for myself, and after wearing them for a day I went back and bought the whole lot from them. This is what I've been selling on eBay the last few months.

Are they authentic? They are not from any of Yuketen's standard collections that I can find. They have, in some details, the appearance of prototypes or samples. The build quality is very high, but some of the finishing on the stitches, for instance, seems less polished than my Maine Guide Boots.

I haven't been able to get any feedback from Yuketen on the authenticity, and I wouldn't hold my breath for it either, particularly if they are samples. Sierra doesn't exactly address the same market segment as Yuketen's standard "stockists", so I expect this was a one-off business development thing that didn't go anywhere. This is circumstantially corroborated by the fact that some of the boots have had the "Yuketen" stamp on the tongue abraded off. I also suspect this is why there are no insoles.

Although luxury goods manufacturers maintain a very strict stance on sourcing on their consumer facing side, on the supply side there are all kinds of incestuous manufacturing deals that go on. It's likely these were manufactured to some spec for a deal that went nowhere, and Sierra moved them to liquidation. On the authenticity question, in the end you have to decide whether or not you trust Sierra. I myself find it hard to believe that outright counterfeits could find their way into their supply chain. The fact that Yuketen was removed from some of the boots makes sense in this view too - why do that to counterfeits? Of course, they were all probably supposed to have "Yuketen" removed but someone did a half-assed job.

Or, label questions aside, you can also just view them for what they are: well-made, rugged, very cool (in my view) winter boots at a bargain price. I've been wearing these more than the above mentioned Maine Guides - they're more rugged and better suited for Chicago winters.

5. whatever123

whatever123 Senior member

oh okay, thanks for the story.

6. whatever123

Mother fucker! WANT.

i bet those will retail between $600-$700 bucks ...

7. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Senior member

Nice. Would love to get to the STP location sometime, but I guess it's a real crapshoot what's in there.

If you advertise them clearly as some sort of sample / second, you may want to sell them in B+S here and avoid some eBay fees.

Just sayin.

All-
    I was just notified that some boots I've been selling on eBay (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...#ht_500wt_1156) were being discussed here, and that there have been allegations that they are fakes, so I wanted to provide some first hand facts. Full disclosure and all...

I have no interest in selling fakes, and wouldn't knowingly do so. I also frankly have little general interest in selling boots. What happened was, I was in a Sierra Trading Post (www.sierratradingpost.com) retail store in early summer and spotted some interesting boots in their clearance section. There were two styles, both with leather/wool uppers and Vibram soles - one light brown leather/gray wool/white sole version, and another tartan plaid/dark brown leather/black sole version. The stamp on the tongue said "Yuketen, Made in USA".

I snapped up a couple pair for myself, and after wearing them for a day I went back and bought the whole lot from them. This is what I've been selling on eBay the last few months.

Are they authentic? They are not from any of Yuketen's standard collections that I can find. They have, in some details, the appearance of prototypes or samples. The build quality is very high, but some of the finishing on the stitches, for instance, seems less polished than my Maine Guide Boots.

I haven't been able to get any feedback from Yuketen on the authenticity, and I wouldn't hold my breath for it either, particularly if they are samples. Sierra doesn't exactly address the same market segment as Yuketen's standard "stockists", so I expect this was a one-off business development thing that didn't go anywhere. This is circumstantially corroborated by the fact that some of the boots have had the "Yuketen" stamp on the tongue abraded off. I also suspect this is why there are no insoles.

Although luxury goods manufacturers maintain a very strict stance on sourcing on their consumer facing side, on the supply side there are all kinds of incestuous manufacturing deals that go on. It's likely these were manufactured to some spec for a deal that went nowhere, and Sierra moved them to liquidation. On the authenticity question, in the end you have to decide whether or not you trust Sierra. I myself find it hard to believe that outright counterfeits could find their way into their supply chain. The fact that Yuketen was removed from some of the boots makes sense in this view too - why do that to counterfeits? Of course, they were all probably supposed to have "Yuketen" removed but someone did a half-assed job.

Or, label questions aside, you can also just view them for what they are: well-made, rugged, very cool (in my view) winter boots at a bargain price. I've been wearing these more than the above mentioned Maine Guides - they're more rugged and better suited for Chicago winters.

8. whatever123

hot*java: i would advertise them as a quality work boots. i dont think its wise to advertise them as a yuketen sample or second w/o prior authenticity, especially given the inconsistencies between your shoe and a "production" yuketen shoe. just to make that perfectly clear ... at least that is what i would do.

9. hot*java

hot*java Member

hot*java: i would advertise them as a quality work boots. i dont think its wise to advertise them as a yuketen sample or second w/o prior authenticity, especially given the inconsistencies between your shoe and a "production" yuketen shoe. just to make that perfectly clear ... at least that is what i would do.

I hear you. But when I went into this it honestly didn't seem that controversial. A bit naive I suppose, but I bought some boots stamped "Yuketen" from a major retailer, and simply resold them without giving much thought to an elaborate back story, supply chain intricacies, etc. Not so different really from the EG Bedford jacket I bought off the rack at Barney's at season's end for a ridiculous discount.

I have, however, tried to make the circumstances surrounding their sourcing more transparent in the auction description as these questions have arisen. That's obviously the reason I'm here too.

Regardless of their mysterious origin, they're pretty cool boots. Yuketen's had quite a successful ad campaign romanticizing hunting to us city types, but I'm not sure how many of their boots actually see the back woods. I sold a pair of these to an actual moose hunter, who works as a tour guide in Norway north of the Arctic circle. I'm not sure that Holt's/Barneys/Bergdorf can make that claim between them.

10. hot*java

hot*java Member

Nice. Would love to get to the STP location sometime, but I guess it's a real crapshoot what's in there.

If you advertise them clearly as some sort of sample / second, you may want to sell them in B+S here and avoid some eBay fees.

Just sayin.

I was in Wyoming on vacation at Yellowstone, and hadn't been in one before. My sense is that it is indeed a real crapshoot. They have a lot of REI-type clothes, but then mixed in I found some real obscure Italian gear, a beautiful handmade Austrian boiled wool jacket, etc. It seems like their corporate buyers have poor impulse control - it's a crazy mix of stuff.

BTW, thanks for your post on the 11th. You essentially nailed what I think the sourcing scenario was, without the inside information, and in way fewer words than I did. Cheers.

And on the selling question, the last thing I wanted to do was sign up and start hawking stuff.

11. whatever123

I hear you. But when I went into this it honestly didn't seem that controversial. A bit naive I suppose, but I bought some boots stamped "Yuketen" from a major retailer, and simply resold them without giving much thought to an elaborate back story, supply chain intricacies, etc. Not so different really from the EG Bedford jacket I bought off the rack at Barney's at season's end for a ridiculous discount. I have, however, tried to make the circumstances surrounding their sourcing more transparent in the auction description as these questions have arisen. That's obviously the reason I'm here too. Regardless of their mysterious origin, they're pretty cool boots. Yuketen's had quite a successful ad campaign romanticizing hunting to us city types, but I'm not sure how many of their boots actually see the back woods. I sold a pair of these to an actual moose hunter, who works as a tour guide in Norway north of the Arctic circle. I'm not sure that Holt's/Barneys/Bergdorf can make that claim between them.
    well, it has nothing to do with price ... i bought a $300 pair of yuketens for $25 at a retailer in canada who was doing away with the line. the fact remains, no matter how you explain it, those look nothing like a yuketen shoe, at least to me. but thanks for tell us how you got them.

12. jessetk313

jessetk313 Senior member

I guess reallythe question is whether or not you trust sierratradingpost for selling legit shoes which I personally do. On the tongue of one of the boots it is clear that yuketen was stamped there. Just my two cents.

13. hot*java

hot*java Member

So I guess you're saying you trust Barney's more than you trust Sierra - at least in that Barney's wouldn't sell off their samples directly. I agree with that to a degree, but I've seen some odd stuff at Barneys' outlets down in Florida. Different stores take different approaches here. Crate and Barrel here in Chicago for instance has a dedicated store in the Chicago suburbs where they sell off overstock, including manufacturers' samples. If an item is manufactured by a supplier but not ultimately offered in a retail space, is the item a fake? Is the C&B Outlet selling fakes?

But in any case I do think these pieces are connected to Yuketen, and I disagree that they look nothing like a Yuketen shoe. The upper looks an awful lot like the upland boot, the heel has the iconic triangle stitching going from the sole up the back, the white Vibram sole looks like the Maine Guide, and the wool panels on the upper take cues from the hunt boot. And of course they're stamped "Yuketen" and were found at a reputable store.

I respect where you're coming from, but this is a point on which I think reasonable people can disagree.

http://www.blackbirdballard.com/Imag...ts/55204_5.jpg

14. whatever123

I guess reallythe question is whether or not you trust sierratradingpost for selling legit shoes which I personally do. On the tongue of one of the boots it is clear that yuketen was stamped there. Just my two cents.
    but yuketen actually denied they were produced by them so i would be more inclined to believe them ... right? none of the pairs i have are stamped nor have any markings on the leather. they do, however, place their name on the insole. now, im not saying they dont stamp the leather upper in any of their other styles just the ones i have.