• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

You're Overdressed!

Petyot

Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley
I ask them, "Am I overdressed or are you underdressed?" Then I beat them for lacking their own sense of style.

Fixed
boxing[1].gif

Canal Directo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dedalus
Being overdressed can also be considered rude.

"The only sin is underdressing."

Hubert de Givenchy

dv3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"The only way to atone for being occasionally a little over-dressed is by being always absolutely over-educated."

-Oscar Wilde

Dedalus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Canal Directo
"The only sin is underdressing."

Hubert de Givenchy

Originally Posted by dv3
"The only way to atone for being occasionally a little over-dressed is by being always absolutely over-educated."

-Oscar Wilde

"You're overdressed!"
-Guy at some engagement party

Medtech71

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Cereal can be delicious, but heart attacks are never fun.

I guess if you can afford steak for breakfast every morning, you can afford the triple by-pass and new chimp heart....

RyJ Maduro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"Hmmm, it seems as though I am... Perhaps I should take off my pants?"

Fang66

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Cereal can be delicious, but heart attacks are never fun.
Good reason to avoid cereal.

As to the OP, whereas many here would be inclined to take the high road in a situation like this or attempt to make some kind of witty retort, I almost certainly would have told the guy to ******* cock.

Dedalus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wait, so how is it that everyone except you knew not to wear a suit and tie?

Macallan9

Reaction score

Probably because he's from a state devoid of any sort of class.

dj-jd

Reaction score
SkinnyGoomba your mastery of the English language is.... not.

ajv

Reaction score
I've been confronted to that sort of situations often enough when I was younger, and I was so upset I wasn't able to control my answers that were pretty direct. Which made the person accompanying me feel unconfortable.
Since then, I've aged andwhenever I am invited somewhere, unless I really know the host well enough, I'll always ask about the dress code.

But I do agree that it's always easier to dress down than up once you are there...

JamesW

Reaction score
OP - I think its always safer to be overdressed then underdressed. If you are the only guy overdressed, you can lose the tie and jacket and just roll up your sleeves - whereas if you are underdressed, theres no alternative - its embarrasing and its rude to the host/hostess of the event.

In your situation, I would say that you probably weren't overdressed at all - a suit at an engagement party is very normal, unless its gathering of close friends only. If someone shouted to me "you are over dressed" I would've simply told them that I came here straight from a formal event and that it really isn't a big deal.

Of course there are events where wearing a suit would look silly - certain concerts, clubs, etc. but apart from the obvious, I would always dress up rather than down. Depending on the season you can probably opt for a smart business casual as well - i.e. no tie and a sports coat rather than a full suit or suit pants, dress shirt and a pea-coat etc.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Because i'm not from Delaware.
mwink[1].gif
Being the country bumpkins that they were, i was expecting some Gun Club tweed and heavy country shoes, then i realized that Real life is far less spectacular.

Felix Leiter

Reaction score
Dressing well shoes education and respect for the others. Just don't lesser your standards because of people tha cannot understand the basic rules of living in society.

sanrensho

Reaction score
- don't sweat it. the guy had penis envy. he mighta felt the same way if you arrived in a ferrari, but it would seem dumb if he said "your car is too nice!"

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads