1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

your wardrobe ?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by ernest, Feb 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ernest

ernest Senior member

(ernest @ Feb. 25 2005,22:08)
    The differences are probably minor between our best selling style
    Are you selling jeans?
    I sell jeans for a living. Â I sell jeans to the stores that customers go to buy them.
    I imagine only CK?

2. topcatny

topcatny Senior member

(topcatny @ Feb. 26 2005,04:10)
    The differences are probably minor between our best selling style
    Are you selling jeans?

I sell jeans for a living. Â I sell jeans to the stores that customers go to buy them.
    I imagine only CK?
    yes Also, the Calvin Klein jeans you find in Europe are very different than the Calvin Klein Jeans sold in North and South America. The company that has the license to produce Calvin Klein Jeans in Europe is completely seperate from the company that has the license to produce Calvin Klein Jeans in North and South America.

3. ernest

ernest Senior member

Licence? Do you mean it is not even made by CK?

4. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

I think I am going to die laughing...

5. topcatny

topcatny Senior member

most calvin Klein lines are not actually produced by Calvin Klein. As a matter of fact i think all of them are produced by other companies. This is true with many many designers.  He does the designing, but actually producing the garments is the responsibility of other companies.  In Europe a company called Fratini has the license to produce and market Calvin Klein Jeans.  Calvin Klein still has a lot of control over the final look of the product but he does not want to get involved in the actual making of the product.  That he leaves to people with more experience.

6. topcatny

topcatny Senior member

why am i putting myself through this?

7. ernest

ernest Senior member

(ernest @ Feb. 25 2005,22:23) Licence? Do you mean it is not even made by CK?
    most calvin Klein lines are not actually produced by Calvin Klein. Â As a matter of fact i think all of them are produced by other companies. Â This is true with many many designers. Â He does the designing, but actually producing the garments is the responsibility of other companies. Â In Europe a company called Fratini has the license to produce and market Calvin Klein Jeans. Â Calvin Klein still has a lot of control over the final look of the product but he does not want to get involved in the actual making of the product. Â That he leaves to people with more experience.
    Does Levis make his jeans at least?

8. ernest

ernest Senior member

Die, nobody will notice the difference,  but please do it in silence.

Isn't it rather "I am dying..." or "I will die...."

Intsead of "I am going to..."?

9. topcatny

topcatny Senior member

(topcatny @ Feb. 26 2005,04:26)
    most calvin Klein lines are not actually produced by Calvin Klein. Â As a matter of fact i think all of them are produced by other companies. Â This is true with many many designers. Â He does the designing, but actually producing the garments is the responsibility of other companies. Â In Europe a company called Fratini has the license to produce and market Calvin Klein Jeans. Â Calvin Klein still has a lot of control over the final look of the product but he does not want to get involved in the actual making of the product. Â That he leaves to people with more experience.
    sort of Very few clothing manufacturers actually make their product themselves, because they do not own the factories that produce their goods They all work with factories who make the garments for them. Therefore the same factory who makes Levi's may make Calvin Klein Jeans too. In fact I believe some do. Levi's controls all aspects of the product except the actual cutting and sewing of the garment. That they contract out to a factory who does that for them.

10. ernest

ernest Senior member

(ernest @ Feb. 25 2005,22:38)

sort of Very few clothing manufacturers actually make their product themselves, because they do not own the factories that produce their goods  They all work with factories who make the garments for them.  Therefore the same factory who makes Levi's may make Calvin Klein Jeans too.  In fact I believe some do. Levi's controls all aspects of the product except the actual cutting and sewing of the garment.  That they contract out to a factory who does that for them.
    So Levis has not his own factories with people paid by Levis?

11. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

In that case, please let me have the final say. Ernest, actually, topcatnyc is lying.  Calvin makes all the jeans himself, all the way from weaving the yarn on manual shuttle looms (he does not make the yarn himself, that is the only reason why the denim is not double ring spun  [​IMG] ) to the final laundering, final resin treatments if any were needed, and pressing.  Every single pair, made with love, and thinking about a young Brooke Shields all the time.  Levi's 501's are inferior because, unfortunately, Levi Strauss died after a very long life (up until the 80's, he was still clomp, clomp, clomping away on the looms), and his apprentices unfortunately had not yet mastered his artisanal techniques.  Not no funny story: Calvin and Levi had a fight because Calvin was becoming famous but refused to acknowledge that Levi was his early master, and it nearly broke Levi's heart.  Plus he was very old, so he lost.  Now you know everything there is to know about jeans.

12. topcatny

topcatny Senior member

(topcatny @ Feb. 26 2005,04:42)

sort of Very few clothing manufacturers actually make their product themselves, because they do not own the factories that produce their goods  They all work with factories who make the garments for them.  Therefore the same factory who makes Levi's may make Calvin Klein Jeans too.  In fact I believe some do. Levi's controls all aspects of the product except the actual cutting and sewing of the garment.  That they contract out to a factory who does that for them.
    So Levis has not his own factories with people paid by Levis?
    they did for sometime, but I think they sold the last one recently. I could be wrong though. If i am they only one 1 or 2 factories these days. Clearly their direction which is the same as almost all designers is that they do not want to own their own factories.

13. Steve B.

Steve B. Senior member

TCNY

You're completely correct on Levi Strauss. They've only shifted overseas in the last 5 years or so. Many think this a primary cause of their loss in market share.

Ernest, LAG, yet another fit o' farts?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.