1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Your very favorite video game?

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Brian SD, Apr 2, 2006.

1. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Senior member

2. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Senior member

I've been playing the single player F.E.A.R. demo, debating on whether or not to purchase/illegally download it.

3. Brian SD

Brian SD Senior member

That looks rad, B.

I know you'll be into it.. The story of the game is: you're an American with a Japanese-American girlfriend, who is blood-related to Yakuza. Something along the lines of her brother owes money to the Yakuza, so they kidnap your girlfriend, and you have to go to Japan and fight to get her back.

From what I understand, you hold the revmote and the gun in your hand (on screen) reflects exactly the motions of your hand (notice how when the guy is holding the revmote tilted to one side, the gun on screen is also tilted)- although from my understanding you don't have to put your arm out so far that it gets tired, you can rest it on your knee and use simple motions to control your gun movement. Also, from what I understand, if you flip the revmote around, your character pulls out a katana, and through motions of the revmote you can hack and slash your enemies.

Homme, I started using Steve. [​IMG] Every now and then I pick DJ, Kaz or Jin to switch it up (and my EWGF is getting much better, especially after your advice about hitting d+2, d/f), but my friend / Tekken mentor is telling me that I should learn how to win first, because I will never gauge my skill and learn techniques if I am prepared to lose every round, like I do with Jin. With Steve, I win maybe 70/30 (there are some crappy guys and some really good ones too), and I can see what he means.. I'm definitely picking up the importance of low attacks, getting up correctly, etc. which I never really drilled myself on before. Since I started playing Steve and concentrating on precision and defense, I've been doing MUCH better vs. Bryan players, who I can now punish like its no ones business when they try to Snake Edge me.

4. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Senior member

To some people, I suppose that this would seem like an extraordinary string of events. For me, however, this is a Thursday.

5. dusty

dusty Senior member

Man I cannot WAIT to play Red Steel. I am going to be dirt poor after the Rev launches.

6. Lamo

Lamo Senior member

Man I cannot WAIT to play Red Steel. I am going to be dirt poor after the Rev launches.

mmm, really, REALLY want to pick up XBox 360 but i'm just waiting for the PS3/Revo to come out...

7. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

I've been playing the single player F.E.A.R. demo, debating on whether or not to purchase/illegally download it.

Purchase-worthy. Scares the crap out of me (that is a good thing, btw)

8. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Senior member

Right now I am playing Dragon Quest VIII
    [​IMG]

Pretty darn good so far, and on top of that, it comes with a playable demo for Final Fantasy XII. Yes!

9. turbozed

turbozed Senior member

My favorites:

NES: Double Dribble, Legend of Zelda, Pro Wrestling (I didn't have many cartridges [​IMG] )

Consoles besides NES: Super Smash Bros for N64 (countless hours playing this in college), Grand Theft Auto III (the concept was just so great at the time).

PC: TIE Fighter, Counter-strike (alpha to 1.3), Descent I and II (first time playing any game over the internet using IHHD and Kali), Secret of Monkey Island, World of Warcraft (first MMPORG to hook me).

Arcade: Mortal Kombat 2 (the version where you could juggle people), Street Fighter Zero (Alpha in U.S.) 2.

Half of my life went into video games. Pretty pathetic [​IMG]

10. Homme

Homme Senior member

Homme, I started using Steve. [​IMG] Every now and then I pick DJ, Kaz or Jin to switch it up (and my EWGF is getting much better, especially after your advice about hitting d+2, d/f), but my friend / Tekken mentor is telling me that I should learn how to win first, because I will never gauge my skill and learn techniques if I am prepared to lose every round, like I do with Jin. With Steve, I win maybe 70/30 (there are some crappy guys and some really good ones too), and I can see what he means.. I'm definitely picking up the importance of low attacks, getting up correctly, etc. which I never really drilled myself on before. Since I started playing Steve and concentrating on precision and defense, I've been doing MUCH better vs. Bryan players, who I can now punish like its no ones business when they try to Snake Edge me.

I have to disagree here; i play with mokujin alot, not just to win, but because i get more enjoyment playing with him than i do with other chars. If i just wanted to win i would only use kaz. Anyone can 'win' using steve, but whats the point if you would prefer to use other characters ? The only way youll get better with jin, dj or kaz is if you play with them, against people who are equal/better than you. Jin is probably a little harder to win with than kaz or dj, but i like using him, he is a good character to use.

PS i always do really well against brian with kaz, twin pistons(when rising 1,2) is your friend, duck jabs / throw attempts, tp, then follow through with 1-2, f+1, f+2 . Works well [​IMG]

11. j

j Senior member Admin

I have wasted a not insignificant amount of time lately playing Oblivion (Elder Scrolls IV). Visually amazing game and has a ton of open ended play, not to mention all the mods that will come out for it. If you liked Thief, Deus Ex, etc. it is a successor to those in many ways.

12. denimdestroyedmylife

denimdestroyedmylife Senior member

Sorry if this has already been mentioned in this INSANELY LONG THREAD, but anyone remember M.U.L.E. for Texas Instruments, Commodore and whatever else? It is hands-down my favorite game. I remember the music and incidental sounds perfectly to this day.

13. coachvu

coachvu Senior member

Mega Man 2
    Return Fire (for the 3DO)
    Metroid/Super Metroid
    Super Mario World
    Mario Bros. 2
    Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2: The Arcade Game

14. Augusto86

Augusto86 Senior member

Deus Ex/Ex 2: Hands down the most compelling video game I've ever played. COULD NOT STOP until I'd completely discovered every little last thing - and that's A LOT of things.

[​IMG]

Rome: Total War: Brilliant RTT(Real-time Tactical) and TBS(Turn based strategy) Amalgamation. Watching formations of Roman legions outmaneuver and decimate Greek phalanxes in real-time 3d, with actual consequences on a dynamic map - wow. If only it wasn't so buggy!

[​IMG]

The indomitable CIV series: Civilization 4 may well be one of the best games ever made.

[​IMG]

And of course, the ultimate multiplayer deathmatch:

[​IMG]

15. Brian SD

Brian SD Senior member

I have to disagree here; i play with mokujin alot, not just to win, but because i get more enjoyment playing with him than i do with other chars. If i just wanted to win i would only use kaz. Anyone can 'win' using steve, but whats the point if you would prefer to use other characters ? The only way youll get better with jin, dj or kaz is if you play with them, against people who are equal/better than you. Jin is probably a little harder to win with than kaz or dj, but i like using him, he is a good character to use.

PS i always do really well against brian with kaz, twin pistons(when rising 1,2) is your friend, duck jabs / throw attempts, tp, then follow through with 1-2, f+1, f+2 . Works well [​IMG]

I understand what you mean. I really do like Steve however. When I play Jin or Kaz sometimes I go through matches only getting one or two hits. I never know what moves to dodge and such. With Steve I have the opportunity to learn what moves are dodgeable and escapable, because if I manage to do it correctly I have 10 frame punishing moves (Steve's tp is uber).

As for TP, I abuse that move like none other when I play Kaz. That and the hellsweep are my two favorite moves.. and I use f+1+2,f+2 to push back and such... The really good Kaz players I've seen *really* abuse the EWGF. but I'm just not fast enough with it yet.

16. Homme

Homme Senior member

Get the video 'Demon Darkness II', probably the best tekken vid i have ever some across

http://www.tekkenzaibatsu.com/tracker/index.php
    Where it says 'Select media category' choose 'Tekken 5 combo movies'
    Demon Darkness II (you'll need a bit torrent client)
    Enjoy

edit: It's a combo video, with jin, devil jin and kazuya. Crazy shit that you and i will never be able to do [​IMG]

17. Brian SD

Brian SD Senior member

Homme, I started working on Jin again, and I have a question for you (sounds like you are getting a decent amount of wins over there).

How do you attack? Honestly? I can't even get jabs out most of the time against paul, because his shoulder goes under jabs... I'm just confused. Do you not use jabs? Do you sidestep a lot? I play a 10-frame jabber and I'm horrible. Even when I get off EWGFs I get interrupted.

With Steve I have no problem with this, but that's assumedly because he has an 8-frame jab, vs. Jin's 10-frame.

18. Homme

Homme Senior member

Homme, I started working on Jin again, and I have a question for you (sounds like you are getting a decent amount of wins over there).

How do you attack? Honestly? I can't even get jabs out most of the time against paul, because his shoulder goes under jabs... I'm just confused. Do you not use jabs? Do you sidestep a lot? I play a 10-frame jabber and I'm horrible. Even when I get off EWGFs I get interrupted.

With Steve I have no problem with this, but that's assumedly because he has an 8-frame jab, vs. Jin's 10-frame.

Jin is better at turtling than trying to stay in their face with jabs. Hang back abit, and punish, d/f+1 is a decent poke to keep them at bay. If you find that your opponent is constantly in your face with jabs, use his punch parry, b+1:2, this will stun them, then use d+3+4 to get them in the air, and juggle them a bit. It is harder to win with jin than it is with dj/kaz; satisfying though. And i like the look of his fighting style.

19. Brian SD

Brian SD Senior member

Jin is better at turtling than trying to stay in their face with jabs. Hang back abit, and punish, d/f+1 is a decent poke to keep them at bay. If you find that your opponent is constantly in your face with jabs, use his punch parry, b+1:2, this will stun them, then use d+3+4 to get them in the air, and juggle them a bit. It is harder to win with jin than it is with dj/kaz; satisfying though. And i like the look of his fighting style.

Yea, I did much better today. His fighting style is why I really like him. I turtled a bit more than I usually do. Marduk is my biggest problem.. I seem to be doing much better vs. Law now.

I think I jabbed way too much. 2,1 is a good jab for Jin (10 frame hi,mid). I also use a lot of d+4 and it works incredibly well. It's a high crush and it's some 14 frames so it's pretty quick.

Kazuya is a bit easier to win with, I agree. df+2 CHs, cd+4,1, and d/f 4<4 all work really well against pitbullers.

20. TKDKid

TKDKid Senior member

I poke with 2,1 / 2,1,4 / df+1 / df+1,4 / iWS+4 and occasionally chuck out iWS+2 to launch (surprisingly long range).

Outside of poke range, I throw out f+4 and hope for a counterhit, then d/b+2,2,3 to juggle.

2,4 to punish - natural combo + knockdown. Guaranteed after a parry as well. [​IMG]