• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your very favorite video game?

Tyto

Reaction score
My top picks (number 1's [this week] in bold):

Console: Space Invaders (Atari 2600), Donkey Kong Jr. (Colecovision), Virtua Tennis (Dreamcast), Super Mario Bros (SNES), Super Smash Bros Melee (GC), Super Monkey Ball 2 (GC)

PC: Leisure Suit Larry, Grim Fandango, Rogue Spear, MS Combat Flight Simulator (WWII), Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe, Duke Nukem 3D, Doom 2

Arcade: Dragon's Lair, Q-Bert, Ms. Pac-Man, Vs. Excitebike, Donkey Kong, Super Sprint

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great thread! Anyone have any recs for Mac-compatible emulators to play these games? I had a bunch back in the late 90s, but those were usntable and I haven't bothered looking in ages. I never really got too into series or more esoteric titles --

Console:
NES: Mike Tyson's Punch-Out (I still paly this occasionally. Takes 20 minutes to get to Tyson, but he's effing impossible; I'm not patient enough), the first hockey game (play the all fat guy team), Legend of Zelda, Rush'n'Attack
SNES: FF: Mystic Quest
N64: Goldeneye
Genesis: NHLPA mid-90s, Mortal Kombat with the blood

I had a brief stint in arcades, early 90s. I'm guessing these games were all by the same company: XMen, Ninja Turtles, Simpsons.

Computer: Wolfenstein, Oregon Trail, Diablo, Snood.

Anyone play pinball?

tsloop

Reaction score
Console: GTA, KOTOR, Kung Fu(NES), Virtua Tennis, Tiger Woods, Thief.
PC: Diablo 2, Star Wars: Jedi Knight,

Overall Diablo 2 is probably my favorite game, I always seem to go back to it, usually a couple times a year I'll bring it out, dl a new mod and play it way too much for a few days or so.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Originally Posted by shoreman1782
Great thread! Anyone have any recs for Mac-compatible emulators to play these games? I had a bunch back in the late 90s, but those were usntable and I haven't bothered looking in ages. I never really got too into series or more esoteric titles --

Console:
NES: Mike Tyson's Punch-Out (I still paly this occasionally. Takes 20 minutes to get to Tyson, but he's effing impossible; I'm not patient enough), the first hockey game (play the all fat guy team), Legend of Zelda, Rush'n'Attack
SNES: FF: Mystic Quest
N64: Goldeneye
Genesis: NHLPA mid-90s, Mortal Kombat with the blood

I had a brief stint in arcades, early 90s. I'm guessing these games were all by the same company: XMen, Ninja Turtles, Simpsons.

Computer: Wolfenstein, Oregon Trail, Diablo, Snood.

Anyone play pinball?

Maim has always worked great for me and my mac. Recommended, if you haven't already tried.

Im not a pinball player... but, I still love em and one day I wish I could have my own machine.

hopkins_student

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm sure I'm leaving some out, but here we go.

Favorite: Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2005 (PS2)

Runners-up:
All Metal Gear Solid games
Final Fantasy VII
Mario 64
Most of the Resident Evil games
Half-Life 1 and 2
Doom 1, 2, and 3
Quake 1 and 2
GTA: Vice City

Lamo

Reaction score
fallout
mechwarrior 2 mercenaries
baldur's gate
xwing vs. tie fighter
dark forces 1 and 2
mdk

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I was always more of a PC gamer:

Best game of all-time:

Asheron's Call (the PK server):
You could kill other players and take their stuff and keep them out of the best areas in the game. It made for a thrilling gaming experience because a very nasty form of competition to emerged. However, it also made your friends all the more important. Constantly shifting alliances kept things interesting. Getting gang-raped and being killed over and over by a group of players camping out at your lifestone was frustrating at times, but the added risk is what made it fun and worth playing. That's what most "carebears" never understood.

It was also one of the few MMORPGs that depended more on player skill than on the strength of his character, meaning that it wasn't made impossible by stats for a level 40 to kill a level 50 or 60 if he was good enough.

Every other game after AC made me feel like I was running around neutered (and in effect I was).

Ultima Online: I only played it after AC, but this is the game that started it (MMORPGs) all . At one point you could loot other players' houses, steal their boats, take all their posessions, etc.

raley

Reaction score
PC:

SC/BW, Diablo 2, EQ (Pre-Kunark), WoW

Non-PC:

Mario 3, Mario 64, Goldeneye Multiplayer
LoZ: LttP, FFVII, Chrono Trigger, Xenogears

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Some of my favorites...

Computer:

CS
BF2: SF
BG2
Rainbow Six 2

Sega CD:

Dark Wizard

NES:

Temco Bowl
Zelda
Metal Gear
Contra

64:

Goldeneye
Mario Cart

Dreamcast:

Soul Calibur

PS2:

FFVII
Metal Gear Solid
Shadow of the Colossus

Xbox:

Halo/Halo2
Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory
College Football 2005

esquire.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm more old school.

I prefer the classics like Pong in the arcade and the old Atari games.

Today's games have better graphics than their predecesors, but I find that the games today are missing something that those older games had.

I'd rather play foosball or ping pong than today's video games.

shellshock

Forum Mascot
Reaction score
i <3 manny calavera!
biggrin.gif

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shellshock
i <3 manny calavera!
biggrin.gif

Damn straight. I forgot to mention No One Lives Forever, 1 and 2. Cate Archer is my girl.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics