• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your top five classical composers

munchausen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know a whole lot about classical music but whenever I hear anything composed by Shostakovich I love it.

Also, some obscure underground **** you guys probably never heard of, like Mozart and Beethoven.

Does opera count? Anything by Rossini and most Wagner.

For more modern stuff, I've always liked this one by Steve Reich

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Last edited:

Hayward

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maurice Ravel
Howard Hanson
Alan Hovhaness
Michael Nyman
Philip Glass, post-minimalism

Last edited:

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Maurice Ravel
Howard Hanson
Alan Hovhaness
[COLOR=FF00AA]Michael Nyman
Philip Glass, post-minimalism
[/COLOR]

Nyman and Glass are not classical era. You need two more.

Last edited:

Hayward

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I disagree. They've composed symphonies and concertos. If Leonard Bernstein can be considered classical, so can they. Glass' early stuff could be considered outside that realm. I almost included Craig Armstrong and Bell Orchestre.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I disagree. They've composed symphonies and concertos. If Leonard Bernstein can be considered classical, so can they. Glass' early stuff could be considered outside that realm. I almost included Craig Armstrong and Bell Orchestre.

I used to wonder what happened to the classical composers and concluded that the need for them migrated from family dynasties to corporate dynasties. Perhaps the OP should have clarified as to whether or not both eras should be included in our lists.
On this list http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_classical_music_composers_by_era#21st_century we see no movie composers.
I must admit that of those listed within the last 100 year list, I know very few of those names.
There are many classical eras, but the era of film composers has not yet been included among them. Perhaps 100 years from now they will be. I may enjoy the music of Glass, Nyman and Bernstein, and they may well have, at times, composed in the classical style, but I do not see a place for them among the true classical era giants. My viewpoint on this subject is, in no way designed to negate the fine efforts of many contemporary composers or their contributions to music or music history. The times have simply and radically changed in the last 100 years. Technology has changed. The materials and construction of instruments have changed. The sound, by virtue of technology alone, has changed. The needs have changed. Classical pieces performed on modern instruments and recorded with modern equipment has changed and will continue to do so. The desires have changed. Classical music, as it once was, will never be repeated.
If someone were to start a new thread 'Name your top 5 Contemporary Classical Style Composers', I am sure you will agree that the lists provided by its respondants will not include the names of those featured in this thread. It would be interesting to see such a thread and those lists.

Edit-
I have started the new thread
http://www.styleforum.net/t/351549/your-top-10-contemporary-classical-style-composers

Last edited:

Hayward

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
By that standard I wonder if Hanson and Hovhaness should be on the new list, which mean now I must replace four...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads