1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Your top five classical composers

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by audiophilia, Sep 22, 2009.

1. audiophilia

audiophilia Senior member

Fixed. But I've never heard the 10th. How does it compare to the 5th?

Considering the 10th is greatest symphony of the 20th Century, not well!

[​IMG]

Love the 5th. Superb, but the 10th's cohesion and form (and without the 'shallow' finale), makes it tops. My favourite is the crazy as a jay bird 4th. One of the amazing pieces of music ever written. The perfectly formed 5th was in direct response to the 4th after Stalin savaged it. Wanker! Hence, the 'shallow' heroic finale. 'An artist's response to just criticism'. Gotta play the game with a nutter like Uncle Joe.

2. audiophilia

Fifth is utterly spectacular. Tenth - only a shade less so. But then again I'm going with Bernstein's fifth against Karajan's tenth. If you took...for instance, Mravinsky's fifth or Gergiev's fifth, then Karajan's tenth would win IMHO.

BTW: Seventh - Bernstein/Chicago PO, is cruelly overlooked IMHO, particularly the finale.

Check out the Simon Bolivar Youth Orchestra from the Proms with Dudamel on YouTube. An astonishing 10th.

Karajan 10th (the earlier one) [​IMG]

3. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Check out the Simon Bolivar Youth Orchestra from the Proms with Dudamel on YouTube. An astonishing 10th.

Karajan 10th (the earlier one) [​IMG]

Have you heard Ormandy's 10th? Curious as I tend to favor Ormandy when he cuts loose. I'd figure the second movement would be a riot.

4. audiophilia

if I can ever find Ormandy's version with the Philadelphia.

Got it. LP reissue! Amazing.

I remember my father playing an original LP when I was a kid. It scared me. That cover with the swash of blue paint.

Here you go

5. audiophilia

Have you heard Ormandy's 10th? Curious as I tend to favor Ormandy when he cuts loose. I'd figure the second movement would be a riot.

Not Ormandy.

Heard most. Played it several times but never conducted it. On my list.

6. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Not Ormandy.

Heard most. Played it several times but never conducted it. On my list.

mine too. Should have bought it when Amazon had it available back in the day. arg.

7. binge

binge Senior member

I will readily admit to pedestrian knowledge and appreciation of classical music.

1. Mozart
    2. Beethoven

after that, I like all the rest of the better-known more or less equally. No one composer stands out much more than the other.

8. A Y

A Y Senior member

1. Mahler
    2. J.S. Bach
    3. Stravinsky
    4. Tchaikovsky
    5. Brahms

--Andre

9. cadillac37

cadillac37 Senior member

1. Beethoven
    2. Mahler
    3. Rachmaninoff
    4. Brahms
    5. Bruckner

10. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Senior member Dubiously Honored

In no particular order,

1. Mahler (esp. 7th & 9th symphonies)
    2. Prokofiev (just about everything, but especially Piano Concertos 2 & 5, some of his operas, and his ballet and film scores)
    3. Liszt (Sonata in B minor, transcental etudes, piano concerto #2, many of the Symphonic poems... you name it)
    4. Ravel (just about everything he wrote is nearly perfect, but especially the Piano concertos and Gaspard de la nuit)
    5. Poulenc (especially his piano and orchestra work, like Aubade)

And Saint-Saens for honorable mention.

I also like some more modern stuff, like Ligeti, Messiaen, Scriabin's weird mystic later stuff, Glass, etc.

Though I love Don Giovanni and the Requiem, Mozart has really never done much for me. Haydn, Handel, Scarlatti, etc. and a lot of baroque stuff (not counting Bach) didn't float my boat much, either. But, hey, different strokes for different folks.

11. bounce

bounce Member

Mahler
    Rachmaninoff
    Penderecki
    Wagner
    Leo Ornstein

12. sho'nuff

sho'nuff Senior member

chopin
    rachmaninov
    chopin
    rachmaninov
    chopin

13. amerikajinda

amerikajinda Senior member

Mozart
    Beethoven
    Tchaikovsky
    Paganini
    Mendelssohn

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

14. thenanyu

thenanyu Senior member

chopin rachmaninov chopin rachmaninov chopin
    (Piano player)
    Mozart Beethoven Tchaikovsky Paganini Mendelssohn
    (Violin player)
    Mahler Rachmaninoff Penderecki Wagner Leo Ornstein
    (20th century fan?) Me: Beethoven Shostakovich Prokofiev Wagner Holst (Trombone player)

15. sho'nuff

sho'nuff Senior member

(Piano player)

(Violin player)

(20th century fan?)

Me:

Beethoven
    Shostakovich
    Prokofiev
    Wagner
    Holst

(Trombone player)