• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your Top 5 Authors of all time

lemmywinks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Even if they've only written one book worth reading ever.

JRR Tolkien
Dan Brown (meh)
George Orwell
Mitch Albom
Stephen King

I'm not a crazy reader and I only read the more popular books but I'm interested to see what other folk here read.

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
Your list sucks. Mine will be better when I eventually start reading books.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lemmywinks
JRR Tolkien
Dan Brown (meh)
George Orwell
Mitch Albom
Stephen King

jesus christ

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
- J.K. Rowling
- Paulo Coelho
- J.D. Salinger
- Dan Brown
- Tie between Sophie Kinsella and Meg Cabot

IUtoSLU

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tolstoy
Twain
Hemingway
C.S. Lewis
Poe

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm going to limit my answers to 20c authors ... and these are favorites ... not necessarily who I think is best.

1. James Joyce
2. James/Jan Morris
3. Gore Vidal
4. Graham Greene
5. Walker Percy
6. --

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Lol u guys r ****** intellectuals

Martin Amis
Henry miller
Charles bukowski
Dostoevsky
Murakami

lemmywinks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know my list isn't anything spectacular because I read that much which is why I am expanding my horizons.

IUtoSLU

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
Lol u guys r ****** intellectuals

Martin Amis
Henry miller
Charles bukowski
Dostoevsky
Murakami

Who said we were intellectuals? Have you read CE at all?

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For English literature, in no particular order: Joseph Heller Chuck Palahniuk Bret Easton Ellis Irvince Welsh Tom Sharpe Actually I have no five favourites, but these are pretty good.
Originally Posted by lemmywinks
I know my list isn't anything spectacular because I read that much which is why I am expanding my horizons.
Dan Brown's works are truly, very poorly written. The others are just fine, I guess. Never heard of Albom.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CDFS
For English literature, in no particular order: Joseph Heller Chuck Palahniuk Bret Easton Ellis Irvince Welsh Tom Sharpe
I greatly enjoy Heller and Irvin Welsh. Ellis - AP was one of the best books I've read given the unique narrative voice and brilliant interplay between the horrific and the hilarious. The rest of his stuff always felt like more of the same, only not as well done. If I was basing the list on each author's best book, I don't think I could leave Ellis off my list.

ArteEtLabore14

Reaction score
Is this a list of the five authors we enjoy reading the most, or a list of the five authors who we consider to be "the best?"

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I greatly enjoy Heller and Irvin Welsh. Ellis - AP was one of the best books I've read given the unique narrative voice and brilliant interplay between the horrific and the hilarious. The rest of his stuff always felt like more of the same, only not as well done. If I was basing the list on each author's best book, I don't think I could leave Ellis off my list.
One of the single books I enjoyed was Lolitha, Nabokov. Sad fact about me is that I often enjoy a pulp fantasy novels far better than Hochkultur, but I guess I'm not special in that either.

socialdtk

Reaction score
Martin Amis Henry miller Charles bukowski Dostoevsky Murakami
Three of my favorites as well. I'd have to substitute Martin Amis and Murakami for Jack Kerouac and Hunter S. Thompson only because they initially sparked my interest in Miller, Bukowski, and Dostoevsky. I feel bad about leaving William S. Burroughs and Kurt Vonnegut of my list...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 16 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.2%

Staff online

Forum statistics