• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your thoughts on whitening strips.

BYucko

Reaction score
I used Whitestrips Premium a year ago, and now my teeth are about as dirty as they were back then.

tallgolfnut

Reaction score
I use the Crest Strips and they do work, however they dont work on "fake" teeth. I had a tooth pushed out in a basketball game and had to have a fake one put in. At the time they matched the color of my teeth with the fake one and now since using the strips the fake one has remained the same color grade while my "real" teeth have whitened.

taktikz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by BYucko
I used Whitestrips Premium a year ago, and now my teeth are about as dirty as they were back then.

Man, these aren't permenant whitening solutions...
lol8[1].gif

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They have repackaged Crest Premium strips at Target for $13 USD a box.

Effects lasted about a year on me at a cup of coffee every morning(before brushing) and about 1-2 glasses of red wine a week, which is pretty good.

As I understand it, whitening strips/Rx trey products give dramatic results, but only last a short time, where as laser treatments give weak results which can last years and years.

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also, the really powerful and effective trey systems that you get at a dentist can sometimes be found of Ebay. They are not Rx, but you have to be a dentist to purchase them and sell them, so a few will sell them on Ebay to get some extra income.

I have not tried them myself. I have sensitive teeth and doubt I could handle it.

boozingalcoholic

Reaction score
pre dent guy here,

White strips do work and I have used them. They lasted over a year but eventually that regular "shine" comes back. With regular brushings and upkeep, you can maintain a whiter appearance than not white stripping before. Keep in mind that microscopic photographs have shown these oxidizing reactions can strip away the naturally porous surfaces. No one really knows if it affects the enamel or the function of teeth. I personally think it needs to be done sparingly.

At the dentist office:

You have two options which are both stronger and faster than your typical take home whitening products.

The one done at the dentist office is quicker and done within about an hour. That stuff is strong and your teeth will be WHITE!

The other option is take home trays which u place in your mouth overnite and i *believe* its about a two or three day process.

Good luck!

NaTionS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For the people that have used whitening strips:

Does it make your teeth more sensitive?

danilo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by boozingalcoholic
pre dent guy here,

White strips do work and I have used them. They lasted over a year but eventually that regular "shine" comes back. With regular brushings and upkeep, you can maintain a whiter appearance than not white stripping before. Keep in mind that microscopic photographs have shown these oxidizing reactions can strip away the naturally porous surfaces. No one really knows if it affects the enamel or the function of teeth. I personally think it needs to be done sparingly.

At the dentist office:

You have two options which are both stronger and faster than your typical take home whitening products.

The one done at the dentist office is quicker and done within about an hour. That stuff is strong and your teeth will be WHITE!

The other option is take home trays which u place in your mouth overnite and i *believe* its about a two or three day process.

Good luck!

I think that is the best process (I have some) my girlfriend works at a dentist office so she did them for me for free. The good thing is they give you enough with the kit so you can do it a couple of times. (In other words every 6 months for probably like 2 years or so).

It actually takes 1-2 weeks to do it using the tray about 1 hour every night, depending of coarse how white you want. And they do make everything a little sensitive, but they work.

I think the power whitening at a dentist is like $500 or so... the kit is like $250. And the actual whitening gel re-fills aren't that expensive, which is why I think the take home custom trays are the best option.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NoVaguy
Yeah, crest whitening strips work, although one caveat - they don't seem to work very well on caps. One of my front teeth was capped 10-12 years ago because of an old street football accident, and the different between the cap and the regular teeth became slightly noticeable after using a box of the crest strips.

Of course they didn't work on caps, did you think they would?

I have a fake tooth in my front, so using the strips makes little sense to me. I think it would look worse to have all white teeth except one in the front being a couple shaders darker than it would to have consistent teeth. I'm due up to get a new tooth soon, so I might talk to the doc about getting the fake one whiter and then doing some cosmetic whitening.

Brian SD

Reaction score
If you go to the dentist for the one-hour treatment, how long does that last?

I want to get my teeth whitened but I'm not going to bother if the results are temporary.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The teeth themselves might hurt, for example, when drinking cold water. That probably will disappear within a day. The results themselves might disappear within a year. It depends on how white the teeth naturally are, habits, etc. It's unlikely that one will still have impressively white teeth a year after any special treatment.

taktikz

Reaction score
Bought the Crest White Strips Professional yesterday... Will let everyone know how it goes
wink.gif

Gravitas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did any of you that have tried whitening have uneven coloration beforehand, and did whitening fix that? I specifically am wondering about the white spots that appear, in my case due to fluoride.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 84 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics