• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your thoughts on Tom Ford shirts?

Franky In T.O.

Reaction score
Keep in mind prices are in CAD.

I was at Harry Rosen yesterday. Private sale is currently on so a lot is 40% off.

I am 5'7", 172 lbs, average/fit build, and slim fit or "contemporary", if you will, tends to be what works best on me. Hugo Boss dress shirts are therefore perfect for me and require very little tailoring. Boss shirts tend to be $165 or $180 CAD depending on the shirt. I find the Two-ply shirts feel great, look good, and are very comfortable for only a fraction of the cost more and cost less than Canali or Zegna dress shirts. However, if there is a Canali or Zegna shirt that I really like I will spend the extra bucks and get the extra tailoring done as I do notice the better quality in a Canali shirt.

Now yesterday I took a good look at Tom Ford shirts. First, I'd like to say that I'm impressed. They require very little tailoring for me, have some bold colours, and some have a 2 button high collar that I really like. They are currently $330 or $380 and that's on sale. Yes, significantly more, and should I find a shirt that I particularly love and can see myself getting lots of wear from I don't think I'd hesitate to purchase one (at the sale price).

With that said, unless I fall in love with one, I don't see the value of paying an extra $130-200. I do find them to be of better quality, but am not seeing the better value. Of course, I don't claim to be an expert. What are your opinions on Tom Ford shirts whether you're an expert or not. I like them. Now I know SFers will always have a suggestion on better ways to spend your money. But let's keep it simple.... is it good money to spend if I find a shirt I really like? Or should I just stick with Boss, Canali, and Zegna? I don't have any Brioni shirts, but they are good for my frame apparantly.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
People on here are going to tell you that you can get MTM/custom shirts made for you at that price point.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by triniboy27
People on here are going to tell you that you can get MTM/custom shirts made for you at that price point.

+1. Harry Rosen is ridiculous.

Also I have to say that you're my weight but five inches shorter than me, so I am surprised you call yourself average build and weight. Hell, I'm nearly considered overweight on the BMI scale.

longskate88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're my height, but you have about 50lbs on me...but I'm going to be one of the people to say get something MTM. At a local guy I've looked at before, his most expensive fabric is like $250 for a shirt, and it'll fit you like it was, ya know, made for you
mwink[1].gif
Maybe I'm just too poor to think about any of the shirts you mention, but I'd rather get two MTM shirts from high-end fabric than one TF. You get to pick every little detail, and would feel a little more unique IMO than an OTR Tom Ford.

Franky In T.O.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by unjung
Also I have to say that you're my weight but five inches shorter than me, so I am surprised you call yourself average build and weight. Hell, I'm nearly considered overweight on the BMI scale.

I'm being humble by saying average/fit build. I'm fit. I may be 5 inches shorter, but the weight is more muscle than it is fat.

triniboy22 - that is true. A lot will say I should go to MTM/custom at that price point. That would assure that I have a shirt that I love at that price. In that case, if I loved a Tom Ford shirt then is it worthwhile paying that price or would I be a fool to do so considering Boss, Canali, and Zegna are more than just fine?

jasonmarshalljazz

Reaction score
Tom ford makes the sturdiest and most stylish RTW clothing available. That said, it is grossly overpriced simply because rtw should not cost more than bespoke or even MTM clothing. i love tom ford clothing but just can't justify paying $3500+ for a suit of the peg when i can have bespoke for the same money, and often times, less by half. maybe get one Tome Ford shirt and have it copied by rocky's custom clothes who make great clothes mtm for much less money and can copy anything exactly.

www.rockyscustomclothes.com

Franky In T.O.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by longskate88
Maybe I'm just too poor to think about any of the shirts you mention, but I'd rather get two MTM shirts from high-end fabric than one TF.

Hey, I'm not rolling in dough otherwise I wouldn't be asking SFers for their opinion.
smile.gif
I like your take... anyone know how much MTM shirts are at Harry Rosen?

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you like it, if it fit, if you can afford it, then just get it already.

The very best option would be to go MTM, but that takes time and you can't take the shirts home with you that same day.

yfyf

Affiliate vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I was given a TF shirt once as a gift. I kept meaning to photograph it but got lazy and returned it to the gifter since it didn't fit right. It was the "slim fit" variety and it was way too tight through the body. However fabric was nice and the collar shape was excellent as well. Construction was just like any high end RTW shirt.

yellman

Reaction score
go to off saks in Buffalo and u can buy boss for $65 easily.

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Franky In T.O.
I am 5'7", 172 lbs, average/fit build, and slim fit or "contemporary", if you will, tends to be what works best on me.
Wow. I don't think average quite means what you think it does.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Franky In T.O.
I'm being humble by saying average/fit build. I'm fit. I may be 5 inches shorter, but the weight is more muscle than it is fat.

triniboy22 - that is true. A lot will say I should go to MTM/custom at that price point. That would assure that I have a shirt that I love at that price. In that case, if I loved a Tom Ford shirt then is it worthwhile paying that price or would I be a fool to do so considering Boss, Canali, and Zegna are more than just fine?

Fair enough. You still need to consider MTM. I'll be honest, I don't own shirts from any of those brands you've listed. But I do think you need to look around Toronto for a smaller tailor who can do MTM. On the low end you're looking at $100, and maybe $250 to get into a fabric that's somewhere around what you're used to. MyTailor.com also tours often and I've pretty happy with them. Harry Rosen does MTM promotions fairly often, I believe, so I would just go in, ask, and leave your card so they can call you in advance.

Albern

Reaction score
Originally Posted by unjung
Fair enough. You still need to consider MTM. I'll be honest, I don't own shirts from any of those brands you've listed. But I do think you need to look around Toronto for a smaller tailor who can do MTM. On the low end you're looking at $100, and maybe $250 to get into a fabric that's somewhere around what you're used to. Harry Rosen does MTM promotions fairly often, I believe, so I would just go in, ask, and leave your card so they can call you in advance.

Yes, in Toronto a decent tailor would charge around $100(CDN) CMT only; not including the fabric, MOP buttons, etc... which to me is much better value than getting RTW. If you know the right places along Queen Street West, good shirt fabrics can be had for $16 per yard too.

I don't have any Tom Ford shirts but it was from what I saw that really got me into bolder checkered / houndstooth patterns. Does anyone know who makes the fabric for Ford shirts?

litho

Reaction score
This thread is not a good one. It discusses an overpriced brand. Tom Ford shirts would just be relabeled Zegna for more money.

I will save the thread:

5229Cec41Web1.jpg

Franky In T.O.

Reaction score
Thank you, litho! Now she would definitely be considered fit, right?

Originally Posted by Metlin
Wow. I don't think average quite means what you think it does.

Fair enough. I get that over weight is now considered average and that since I'm in good shape I am not average. I should have just said I'm fit. Now can we get back to discussing an overpriced brand!
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads