• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your thoughts on the Ventess Tux...

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was on Savile Row last week receiving some schooling in bespoke from the gents at Chester Barrie and then Richard James, and when the subject came to ventless coats (for a tux) in both cases the word “American” was spat at me.

It seems that to the traditionalists of the row the vents on a coat are a functional addition, allowing movement and comfort. Removing them is an exercise in vanity that allows for a closer cut at the seat than normal, but at the expense of movement.

I was instructed that should I advise a customer to commission a ventless coat I would suffer a pain worse than death.

I’d love to hear thoughts, comparisons or contradictions from the accused Americans, and anyone else with a slightly longer history of tailoring.

Master Squirrel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It might be my body shape and muscular bottom, but there is no restriction on movement or comfort in my ventless dinner jacket.

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score

It might be my body shape and muscular bottom, but there is no restriction on movement or comfort in my ventless dinner jacket.

+1. It's actually rather interesting (disturbing?) that qualified tailors would make this statement. As a man with a rather large "posterior" ventless is a whole lot more flattering than vented. While I realize this may have become popular in the US, the choice for no vent, in my case, was to address the issue of a larger backside while keeping clean lines. Which it does quite nicely.

Last edited:

recondite

Reaction score
Dinner jackets have vents?

Who knew?

I think when you are talking about what is truly a Tuxedo style dinner jacket, one that is double breasted, vents might be a nice accommodation for ease of movement, although I wouldn't know, single my dinner jackets are all single breasted, unvented by design,and offer excellent ease of movement.

Last edited:

Master Shake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I prefer double-vented dinner jackets solely on aesthetic grounds.

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As I say, I have grown up believing ventless to be the standard, but these guys had about 120 years experience between the three of them, with almost all of it on the row.

I actually own a ventless SB and BD coat and find it comfortable and sleek, but I wonder where it has this modern state of affairs arisen from?

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It seems that to the traditionalists of the row the vents on a coat are a functional addition, allowing movement and comfort. Removing them is an exercise in vanity that allows for a closer cut at the seat than normal, but at the expense of movement.

FWIW, my RTW DJ from Ede is ventless but we went for two rear vents on my MTM one. We did discuss vents vs when ordering the MTM one; their opinion (this is at my local branch, not their London location) was that either option would be correct. Maybe they'd have advised differently for a bespoke DJ given the greater degree of pattern individualisation - I didn't think to ask - but I rather doubt it. I can't imagine being there being all that much difference really. Having said that, even when vents are sitting perfectly flat, the very fact that material overlaps means a jacket will look slightly cleaner/sleeker without them, so on a theoretical level I can understand trade-off that the people at whichever houses you spoke to are suggesting. In practice, I think these days that it is very much personal choice and no-one at any event would raise an eyebrow at either one.

Last edited:

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I went with ventless in mine primarily just because it's more traditional and I don't have it on any other coats. Nice to have something different sometimes.

Last edited:

F. Corbera

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Closed at the front? Open at the hips.

Open at the front? Closed at the hips.

So say I.

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So say I.

So if it's a DB then vents and if it's a SB then ventless?

Anthony Jordan

Reaction score
Most of the vintage dinner jackets I have owned have been British-made, and all have been ventless*, so I am not convinced that your colleagues are correct, historically speaking anyway. If we were talking day suits, that might be a slightly different matter, I suppose, but I have always seen ventless dinner jackets as perfectly correct and perfectly British.

*as are my current four, including the Spanish one I am currently eBaying

marblehouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another vote for ventless being classically correct - and aesthetically preferable - for a SB tuxedo.

recondite

Reaction score
Who's to argue?

Now that is straightened out, a ruling is required on the idea that pocket square and boutonnière should be mutually exclusive, a standard one has adopted. What say you?

And what is the universal convention for summer hats with black tie attire? Straw boaters used be standard summer wear in the US and elsewhere all manner of Top Hats, Homburg's, straw Trilby's and Fedora's, have been observed. Can you please establish a more universal standard for one who is sartorially ignorant in such matters?

So say I.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads