• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your Take on Sweeteners

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Splenda, Nutra-sweet, and whatever brands out there: What's your opinion? I've read and been nagged about how dangerous they are to you. Is this true? Even in minute quantities?

WN2

Reaction score
Don't know about how dangerous they are, but most of them taste horrible. Xylitol, followed by sorbitol, is by far the best sweetener in existence, but sugar beats them all.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I'm trying to get high off it, not sprinkle it on my cornflakes.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Splenda is the only one I can deal with.
But yes, who knows what thelong term effects would be.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I hate sweeteners. I stick to the natural **** - sugar.

vanity

Reaction score
Splenda has actually been around the longest. I like it b/c you can bake with it. Saccharin doesn't work well with high temperatures. It gets all funky and eventually turns into formeldehyde.

I think they're all safe for the msot part. If you're injecting a 2 ounce rat with 3-4grams of anything, they're going to have health problems.

Lady Savage

Reaction score
Though it is not offered in coffee shops Agave nectur is the best sweetner and it's good for you. It comes from a cactus.

Quirk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lady Savage
Though it is not offered in coffee shops Agave nectur is the best sweetner and it's good for you. It comes from a cactus.
Yeah, that's pretty much all I use, though sometimes brown sugar in a pinch. Good stuff.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
I was raised on Equal and although I didn't really care for the taste at first, I realized how quickly it would sweeten my coffee. So out of the convenience of not having my coffee taste like crap to begin with and then taste like a bag of sugar at the end, I began to use Equal. Thankfully Splenda came around and it's all I use.

I'm sure it's related but I also grew up not liking regular soda, lots of frosting on a cake, a lot of chocolate, etc. which was well before I tried artificial sweeteners. It all just made me feel sick.

Nick M mentioned not finding a good "diet" drink, but I'm convinced the Diet Coke sold here in Costa Rica is by far better than any I've ever had. It tastes a lot more like real sugar and the rumor's been that they originally used a splenda-like sweetner instead of NutriSweet which had a deal with Coke in the States.

I do, however, prefer my alcohol mixed with regular soda. I find diet drinks taste funny when mixed.

Full Canvas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidicboy
Splenda, Nutra-sweet, and whatever brands out there: What's your opinion? I've read and been nagged about how dangerous they are to you. Is this true? Even in minute quantities?

Even though NEXUS magazine is known for its goofy topics and general appeal to the UFO crowd, the magazine does regularly feature interesting articles about food and nutrition. The articles are annotated. Thorough citations are offered. The points of view offered are generally not published elsewhere or they are offered only anecdotally.

Most brand name artificial sweeteners are thoroughly dangerous substances in any quantity as far as I am concerned. We only use honey, molasses, and raw centrifugal sugar in our home.

Aspartame is the technical name for the brand names, NutraSweet, Equal, Spoonful, and Equal-Measure. Lots of nasty excitotoxins.
http://www.nexusmagazine.com/articles/aspartame.html

Stevia - You Be the Judge
http://www.nexusmagazine.com/articles/stevia.html

Xylitol - A Hopeful Alternative
http://www.nexusmagazine.com/articles/xylitol.html

Mention of Soy Ice Cream and Sweets - Tangentially related
http://www.nexusmagazine.com/articles/soydangers.html

Full Canvas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
Thankfully Splenda came around and it's all I use.

Splenda – It’s no secret that Splenda (sucralose) starts off as a sugar molecule; it is what occurs in the laboratory that concerns many people. Sucralose is a synthetic chemical that was invented in a laboratory. In the five-step process of making sucralose, three chlorine molecules are added to a sucrose (sugar) molecule. The sucrose molecule is a disaccharide that contains two single sugars (glucose and fructose) bound together.

The chemical process to make sucralose alters the composition of the sugar so much that it is converted to a fructo-galactose molecule. This type of molecule does not occur in nature and the human body is unable to metabolize it. This is the basis of the manufacturer’s claim that Splenda has no calories. If your body can’t absorb it, no calories can be left in the body.

Nearly 15% of sucralose is absorbed by the body’s digestive tract and is stored in the body. That is an average number from studies. Some people absorb and store more or less than that.

Insufficient studies on sucralose are complete. So, the long-term effects of sucralose are unknown.

The paragraphs above are pretty much a paraphrase/summation of the general concern or alarm about Splenda.

Dmax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I never use any artificial sweeteners, I also try very hard not to buy anything that contains High Fructose Corn Syrup. HFC syrop gives me heart burn and I try not to consume any food which has been processed/manufacturers to such high degree.

I don't add any sugar to my coffee and tea. At some point I did. I gradually reduced the amount of sugar I added to coffee and tea until I did not need any. On rare occasion I buy soft drinks for my family I look for the ones that contain cane sugar (Boylan's Cane Cola is very good).

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Full Canvas
Splenda – It’s no secret that Splenda (sucralose) starts off as a sugar molecule; it is what occurs in the laboratory that concerns many people. Sucralose is a synthetic chemical that was invented in a laboratory. In the five-step process of making sucralose, three chlorine molecules are added to a sucrose (sugar) molecule. The sucrose molecule is a disaccharide that contains two single sugars (glucose and fructose) bound together.

The chemical process to make sucralose alters the composition of the sugar so much that it is converted to a fructo-galactose molecule. This type of molecule does not occur in nature and the human body is unable to metabolize it. This is the basis of the manufacturer’s claim that Splenda has no calories. If your body can’t absorb it, no calories can be left in the body.

Nearly 15% of sucralose is absorbed by the body’s digestive tract and is stored in the body. That is an average number from studies. Some people absorb and store more or less than that.

Insufficient studies on sucralose are complete. So, the long-term effects of sucralose are unknown.

The paragraphs above are pretty much a paraphrase/summation of the general concern or alarm about Splenda.

Their information may be well and good, but what alarms me more than the possible unknown side effects of Splenda is Nexus' front page:
NEXUS is an international bi-monthly alternative news magazine, covering the fields of: Health Alternatives; Suppressed Science; Earth's Ancient Past; UFOs & the Unexplained; and Government Cover-Ups.
Yeah, great.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads